Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 6,200Posts
    • 34,824Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/03
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/03 13th Mar 17 at 7:38 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 264.46 Roadkill 28.25
    Wombling '17 May /YTD 1907.45/Roadkill 8.53
    CCC 85.94/250 CC saved 1015 Veg grown 5.29
Page 6
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 10,936 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hope you're ok foxgloves and have time to process what's happened today.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 17th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 33,553 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

CCL I have those times too. "This too shall pass".

Both lots of paid stuff with the gym in between. Showered at the gym using up some hideous shower gel that I got about 3 Christmases ago that makes my skin like sandpaper. Splashed out on scampi for tea knowing that DS1 was out and DS2 doesnt like it! He was happy with chicken kiev.

House is freezing, heating has had to go back on. A night in front of the telly is in order. Will have to work tomorrow.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 18th Mar 17, 7:34 AM
    • 6,200 Posts
    • 34,824 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Man even though I only drank 2 white wine spritzers last night I feel rough today! Alcohol does not agree with me anymore! The night cost me a grand total of 5 but I owed 1 friend 5 and another 10 so purse lighter than when I went.

Trying to find the motivation to the allotment, but the day looks meh so I might not even get there! See how I feel in an hour or so. I might get out in the garden and finishing digging the beds here and cleaning the last of the pots - note to self follow Dawn's lead and wash pots as they become vacant in future! Annoyingly the weather is not looking great for my week off!

Not much dfw things today I suspect but will do the following

* check banks & reconcile account & spending diary
    * check meal plan for today
    * meeting dd around lunchtime and going to the wildlife park using membership card saving 30 Card costs 60 py and we go loads so good investment! DD low at the moment so a bit worried about her. When she goes down she goes so quick and hard
    * hang up washing - hopefully the clouds will clear and I can put it on the line
    * Might bake banana bread. I haven't got round to it so I froze the bananas
    * hopefully will do some sowing today
    * film/game and evening with oh

Ok that's all I can think of. Happy days guys x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 18th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 16,499 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning DNMS & all who follow today,
    A better night's sleep than I've had all week. Once I've put the slap on (next job), I shall look almost human. On today's list:
    *Write letter (recycled envelope)
    *Do my mid-month budget check-in.
    *mr f has volunteered to do the grocery shopping on his way home from work. Have given him a 15 Sainsbury's gift card (survey payment) so that will free up 15 of grocery budget for our Loan Pay Down Fund.
    *Re-pot plant. It was a gift & I suspwct expensive. I have pots & compost so no spend.
    *Sock knitting. I finished one last night & cast on its pair.
    *Check baby veggie plants for any problems.
    *Plan tomorrow's gardening session as mr f has promised me a couple of hours of muscle.
    Wishing everyone a peaceful weekend.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 854-00
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 185
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 18th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 32,813 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    I'm afraid it wasn't me being all efficient about washing pots DNMS - I rarely bother (I know you are supposed to... )
    Day out today at a local-ish event. Tickets were bought online in advance, saving about 4.50 on the gate price Planning lunch out (nothing fancy, a pasty or something like that) but will take a flask of coffee Went early and were back by about 3pm. It poured with rain most of the day, which was a shame as it was a country show type event. However, much of it was fortunately held under cover.
    No need for dog walks today as he is coming with us and will be walking all day (except when he cons me into carrying him ) He got carried quite a bit to avoid being trodden on. He was quite successful at blagging free samples of dog food from stallholders, simply by looking cute, so we have enough for a couple of free meals
    Bought some nice cheeses at a bargainous price
    Stopped at a farm shop we sometimes visit on the way home, and bought nice mince on a buy one get one free offer, now in freezer
    I have 2 RM surveys items to post before we go Done
    More HM quiche and salad for dinner when we get home Done
    Visitors tomorrow, so a bit of tidying up tonight! Will do in the morning but I did make a couple of lemon drizzle cakes to go with their cuppas
    Sold an item on ebay, awaiting payment - come to think of it though, I still haven't been paid for the one I sold the other day
    Last edited by DawnW; 18-03-2017 at 8:51 PM.

• La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 18th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 17,423 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Another busy week at work again. Should defo put last night's sleep on my timesheet as was dreaming about work all night. Doesn't make for an interesting dream as I was mainly dreaming in numbers and codes!

I'm over at the in laws. Off to a yoga thing today. I asked to borrow MIL's car today to save a drop off or train one way and a 14 taxi back but apparently SIL is using her car to go to a local supermarket (less than half a mile away). Well annoying as I've NEVER known her to use the car (FIL always buys her groceries and drops them off for her...) and she could easily get a lift there (I would give her a lift there and borrow the car afterwards) but changes to plans are a no-no... I'm trying to be sympathetic because I bet it is because of her anxiety that changes are not allowed... Oh well, just another 20 spend to suck up with taxi and train fare... At least we are still a 1 car family...

I'm on Kiva at the minute trying to decide where my donation should go. This is awesome for giving. This is the 5th time I have loaned the same $25 IYSWIM. Whenever the loan is repaid you give again... Just lent to a Cambodian family for a clean drinking water filter #gooddeed

Need to check banking and update YNAB...

Not much else on today as yoga thing is 3pm - 11pm.

Happy weekend
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 18th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

sorry for being awol for a couple of days. In management training all day Thursday and then out and about yesterday.

Foxgloves - sorry you've had some bad news
    CCL - sorry to hear about the redundancies. It was really hard when it happened in our place in October

Well we were out for a meal last night for my boss's leaving do. Somehow, no bill for either food or drinks has passed my way. fingers' crossed that this pleasing situation endures.

Just in work today and a few bits:
    • Tidy the house as it's bedlam at the moment
    • Washing away. More washing out (I swear there are at least 2 more people living with us secretly)
    • B/L/D from stores
    • No alcohol
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Post the crochet blanket - done. daylight robbery from royal Mail
    • Work on new blanket commission!
    • Early night!!
    • Pick new meal plan. Have gone off piste Thurs-Sat as have loads of food in and was not available to shop.
    • Check on seedlings in greenhouse.
    • Use epilator
    Will add more if I think of it

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 18-03-2017 at 3:44 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 8741.84
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 18th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    I'm on Kiva at the minute trying to decide where my donation should go. This is awesome for giving. This is the 5th time I have loaned the same $25 IYSWIM. Whenever the loan is repaid you give again... Just lent to a Cambodian family for a clean drinking water filter #gooddeed
    Originally posted by La escocesa

This sounds interesting, can you tell us more?

• La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 18th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 17,423 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Sure https://www.kiva.org/

I'll send you a link to mine on Facebook too

ETA - should say... not really giving directly to the people in the post - they've usually already been given the money - but you give to the microfinance Cos.
    Last edited by La escocesa; 18-03-2017 at 9:46 AM.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 26,523 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    May have an answer to why I've been feeling so flat lately other than the impending birthday. I have a raging sore throat and earache today. Felt tired but fine when I went to bed last night - feel pretty grotty this morning. Thankfully don't have too many plans today so I don't need to worry too much.
    Maria - hope you're doing ok - miss you on here.
    DNMS - hope your DD is ok
    Just little plans for me today - I want to:
    Check banking and PAD
    Clear out my purse into various savings pots
    Make a to do list for work, home and crochet
    Sort through the freezer
    Minimal housework
    Tutoring later on
    Stock up on paracetamol
    Small top up shop at Mr T while the boys are at football later.
    Have a good day everyone
    NST May #13 NSD 6/16 RYSAW17 #1 412.74 20p Savers #88 1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 18th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 23,270 Thanks
    allydowd
    Take care Foxgloves.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 3500
    Survey Rewards 2017: 64
    Swim for Sanity: 1810m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 18th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 15,928 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Afternoon all.

I am just back from the dentist having my tooth extracted and taking it easy (on dentist's orders!) for a few hours. It took a bit longer than expected and I had to have two more top ups of anaesthetic but at least it's out and my confidence is building. This was my fourth appointment and, (apart from the brutal hygienist), I've been really impressed. It cost me 160 but I'm not begrudging it, it's been worth it to be able to get appointments when I want them (including on Saturdays!) and the care has been fantastic. My NHS dentist still hasn't got back to me with a first appointment yet.

Last night I got ahead on my weekend list so all the hoovering and polishing is out of the way. The teens have brought down some plates to be a washed up but they can wait until later. I gave the bath a good clean and changed the towels when I got out of it this morning and DS cleaned the sink and surfaces mid week

The dentist has said only soft food for a few days so I'll cook the courgette and anchovy spaghetti tonight. I was let off an hour early last night and didn't plan on doing the YS run but the slow cooker curry was a bit disappointing (the beef was a bit tougher than I'd expected) and I ended up going down later for nibbly bits and managed to nab a bag of courgettes, a tray of Mediterranean veg and some finest carrots at 90% off.

While I was there I also decided to do my weekly shop (I'm glad I did now!) and stocked up on all the usual fruit juice and fridge staples, bread, fabric softener, etc. There's not as much choice as at the bigger one but it meant I only spent 25 instead of the usual 50!

Later today I must get around to setting up my new printer and sorting out more stuff for my forthcoming table top sale, including the old printer which only prints black and yellow (but fine for anyone that only wants to print black and white!)

I'd like to sort out the garden store a little, it's also my potting shed but it's decidedly less pretty than all the potting sheds on Pinterest (which are clearly ornamental and have never, ever been used for their intended purpose!) I might trim back the rest of the salvia if they have a bit more new growth this week. I noticed my peonie has lots of new shoots, it doesn't really fit with my back garden colour scheme (white/lime/yellow flowers) as its pink, as is my favourite rose) but it's so pretty I can live with it for the few weeks it's in flower.
    Spend on clothes in 2017 58.50
    Make 5 a day in May 92.28/155 (April 236.24, March 106.74, Feb 40.99, Jan 98.54)
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 18th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 16,499 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks, Ally. Members of my family really seem to be going through it at the moment & it's all such a worry.

Back to today's money saving plans....well, it's been quite a useful morning. Postie brought a bank statement which arrived just in time for my budget reconciliation session, so saved me some printer ink. He also brought my next 10 voucher (from Ipsos surveys) so have started a new stash of those......can spend at John Lewis, so may come in useful towards mr f's big birthday gift next year, as I plan to buy him a decent camera.
    Budget reconciliation went fine. Have skimmed current account for 11-45, which added to the 15 Sainsbury's gift card (surveys again!) which will be used instead of the equivalent grocery money today, means I've been able to pay 26-45 across to our Loan Pay Down Fund, as I'm working on the 2nd instalment now).
    Cheap overnight load of laundry nearly dried on the line. Had to fetch in when rain started, but am giving each item a turn on the bathroom towel radiator to finish it off, rather than expend more electricity putting the heated airer on.
    Quite a few Toluna quick click surveys done during my coffee break.
    Entered 1 prize draw.
    I now intend to get the kettle on the hob for a cafetiere & to watch a film (Ziggy - we are also fans of our fairly recently acquired Firestick........so many enticing-looking European/Scandi box sets to choose from).
    Right, caffiene is calling my name.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 18th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 17,423 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hope you're feeling ok FVD - I like your take-it-easy plan!!

Thinking about you foxgloves - hope things are ok for your family.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 18th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Bloomin Royal Mail. Prices are disgusting. Just cost me 15 to send that blanket

I normally do Hermes but the lady needs it for Wednesday.

no wonder Royal Mail are losing money! They are just too expensive to use!

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 26,523 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Carrie - go for Hermes next time. They are way cheaper once you're over the 2kg limit or the small parcel size.
    FvD - hope you feel better soon. I think you're really brave - I hate the dentist.
    Just relaxing in front of the telly - I made lists today and got stuff done so I'm hoping that's the start of my getting back on the wagon.
    NST May #13 NSD 6/16 RYSAW17 #1 412.74 20p Savers #88 1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 18th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 5,057 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Hi all
    Was exhausted yesterday spent half the day sleeping- I'm such a wuss but my body needed it. I didn't get any MS done yesterday so today I've
    - wrote a shopping list and gone to Aldi, Home Bargains and Asda. Got some YS food and offers whilst there saving 5.99 and found 1p. I Wombled a receipt whilst I was there so I'll do the price comparison later on mine and the Wombled one.
    - DD given a free glass of milk whilst out.
    - paid another 400 off my CC
    - bought a pair off shoes off Brantano got 20% off and did it through a cashback site so will get another 5%.
    - looked in at the Next sale but didn't see anything worth buying
    - nearly fell over at the price of a card In WHSmith so put it back and bought one in Asda that was 1.50 cheaper!
    - FPL and entered comps.
    - checked market research - nothing nearby.
    - joined a gym and got 50% off. Really need to get in shape!

That's all for today, LP x
    Womble #28 614. 42
    Pay off all debts by Xmas 2017 #40 2300/5865 Christmas 2017 Saving #11 42/365
    Competition wins 11,340

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 18th Mar 17, 8:40 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 15,928 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I took the 'taking it easy' a bit too much to heart and went to bed for a nap then had a very rude awakening when the anaesthetic wore off while I as sleeping but before I'd had a chance to get some painkillers down me I am dosed up with ibuprofen now though so all is well.

The new printer is set up and running and I've offered the old one for free on a local selling page. I don't think I want the hassle of someone actually paying money for it and not being happy with it.

I've not cooked tonight yet, I've managed to eat a couple of sausage rolls and a jacket potato on the other side of my mouth. I have some YS SF chicken that I will put in for DS and his friend, I'm kicking myself for freezing the rolls I bought to go with them as I don't think they'll defrost in time. Actually, I hid a can of chilli in a cupboard the other say and we have tortillas, cheese and salsa so I might do that instead, it'll be easier!
    Spend on clothes in 2017 58.50
    Make 5 a day in May 92.28/155 (April 236.24, March 106.74, Feb 40.99, Jan 98.54)
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 19th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 6,200 Posts
    • 34,824 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning wow what a difference a day makes. I think I'm going to give up drinking! I literally had 2 small white wine spritzers and felt deathly yesterday! Think of all the calories & money saved

Planning to make the most of the day. Have already checked seed progress. Lots of germination going on went down to the greenhouse yesterday and sowed a second lot of broad beans & aubergines as first have been a massive failure , more basil and coriander & mini sweetcorn. Also did a bit more of the tidying up. Hopefully can finish that today

going to the bootfair shortly with dd hope to get some bargains Will grab a coffee together while there

ys steaks for dinner today, got out of the freezer yesterday

could this be the day I actually list some things on fleabay? Highly unlikely but one can hope...

depending on weather might go for a walk. Tis looking grim out there but the weather forecast says it's going to brighten. If not then go swimming

games session this afternoon

That'll do! Happy Sunday guys x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 19th Mar 17, 8:27 AM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 16,499 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Sunday Savers,
    Well, encouraged by his great grocery shop last night, which came in 5 under budget, mr f still seems to be in money saving mode. He brought me coffee & a bacon sarnie in bed this morning & announced that he'd frozen the rest of the bacon (as in.....instead of eating it!) Also that we have 200g more stewing beef than he needs for his recipe tonight, so that's going in the freezer too, towards another meal.
    Jobs today will be garden-based. Mr f is going to clear & dig over our raised veggie beds & I'm going to sow our radish & spring onion troughs. Off to take glass recycling first......there's tons of it so will use Waitrose bottle banks so we can reward ourselves with free coffees afterwards.
    Apart from setting washing machine timer for cheap overnight laundry, I will then be doing nice leisure-based stuff for the rest of today.
    Have a good Sunday, all.
    F x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

887Posts Today

6,107Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin