Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 6,430Posts
    • 36,628Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/03
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/03 13th Mar 17 at 7:38 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2839.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 6/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
Page 5
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 28,585 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Because of the cuts?
    Originally posted by Bobarella

Partly. Apparently the new Head has inherited a significant deficit from the last one and has to find savings from somewhere. It's mainly admin and support staff, but it's really difficult to deal with.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 28,585 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Quiet day so far...
    Skint so no money spending
    Busy so no money spending.
    Really nothing at all to report other than I desperately need to pull myself round a bit and get back into the mse ways that I know I can do.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 2,412 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    All this talk about slugs.....i feel like one!!!!
    Still full of cold so just taking it easy. Went to HB this morning for pegs.....got everything except for pegs, forgot my list and forgot my pegs
    All pet related cleaning done
    Banking all checked
    have been keeping an eye on credit reports. Had the three fraud thing where I found out my details were released and I have had another name appear on one of my reports. now removed but keeping a close eye on things
    Plan to hoover and clean the kitchen floor later....life always seems better when the kitchen floor is clean-weird I know!
    Have a great day moneysavers x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • ClootiesMum
    • By ClootiesMum 16th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 9,991 Thanks
    ClootiesMum
    CCL - you're sounding really down - remember & take care of you

I feel so jealous with all you lot doing gardenny things - blowing a hoolie here & it's freezing (wind chill & all that). Tomorrow's meant to be worse according to the God known as Windy Wilson.

Anyhow - today's not finished but I'm posting - again to get a jump on tomorrow when DH is off (& will hopefully be sleeping for a long time - he needs it)

Today's list:-

• Make fake tomato soup - only just found the recipe again
    • Phone cousin & aunt to make arrangements for me picking them up in hired car next week
    • Another couple of job apps for DH - started but need info from DH / company prior to further action - done but this will be an ongoing thing
    • Review a company website for DH & fill in his details for him. I have to "be him" at times (insert roll eyes smiley in here) - unable to get in
    • Phone work to let them know I should be back 29th March - I'm going back on a staged return so this should allow enough time to have things put in place
    • Paperwork - start on 1st pass of this for Kondo. Will be piling like with like to all me to make a start on this.
    • Look out both passports & put them in folder with boarding passes (yes - I am that sad )
    • Review airport parking options for Tuesday
    • Review car hire offers for Tuesday
    • Print off directions & details for travel in Bristol/Wales on Tuesday
    • Print off copy of my "paper copy" for driving license (I have one for DH) in case required by car hire co - put copies of both in folder
    • Tidy & clean house with minimal products - DH is off on Friday & last time this happened his brother decided to visit at 9am
    • NSD
    And for tomorrow
    • Look at car hire options
    • Clean remainder of house (will tidy & clean some rooms today but will clean the rest tomorrow morning)
    • Discuss car parking options with DH
    • Job apps for DH as required
    • Start paperwork sorting - I REALLY need to do this
    • Look at bills and budget for next week's wages coming in
    • NSD

Not too much but I feel much better about the travel required next week as it's all pretty much sorted. It will be a long enough day.

So - hope to catch up with y'all later tonight - but if not I hope you all have a good evening & a good night's sleep
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 16th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 4,795 Posts
    • 18,628 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I rushed out in a hurry this morning and forgot to bring my lunch, luckily I had some leftover grapes which I had for breakfast then I had a happy meal for lunch, the worker put it in a brown paper bag for me though

There was a sale at work today but everything was #2 so it wasn't worth doing my usual stock up of soap, shampoo and conditioner but did manage to get a bottle of perfume for #2 (RRP #50!) I'm not sure whether to give it to DSGF, keep it for a present or put it on the bay of e.

DNMS I have a couple of YS pizzas in the freezer but DS hates the supermarket ones (I'm not a great lover of pizza either), I can get away with them as part of a 'buffet' but not as a meal in itself!

Tonight I need to help progress DS's apprenticeship application. He is insisting that once he's earning money he wants a dog but over my dead body as I know who will end up feeding it, walking it, clearing up after it and paying the vet's bills!

I'm going to try to shoot off from work sharply tonight, avoid the supermarket, buy a kebab to share with DS (DSGF will eat at work) and then Im going to spend the evening sorting paperwork and stuff'.

Have a lovely evening everyone
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £288.05/£300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 16th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 36,628 Thanks
    determined new ms
    FVD I get ya I'm not overly keen on pizzas but have found if I spend out and get the good stuff it's ok! Or if I see those boxes of fakeaways )Chinese or Indian) ys I grab them and stick them in the freezer x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 16th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 10,472 Posts
    • 69,414 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Partly. Apparently the new Head has inherited a significant deficit from the last one and has to find savings from somewhere. It's mainly admin and support staff, but it's really difficult to deal with.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    So sorry.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 16th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 4,795 Posts
    • 18,628 Thanks
    FatVonD
    FVD I get ya I'm not overly keen on pizzas but have found if I spend out and get the good stuff it's ok! Or if I see those boxes of fakeaways )Chinese or Indian) ys I grab them and stick them in the freezer x
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    Funnily enough I've just cooked a YS Thai green curry from the freezer for DSGF as she had a fall at work and came come early. B@stards made her wear size 4 non slip shoes for six hours on her first night (she's a 5.5) and then the next time gave her a pair of size 8. Eventually they said she could wear her trainers until they got a pair in the correct size and now she's slipped and fallen

DS and I shared a kebab earlier and I have sorted all my paperwork into three piles, recycle, keep and action. It's the 'action' pile I have problems with, it ends up being the 'put off to another day' pile but I'm taking it all in to work with me to do tomorrow lunch time and will leave early to pick up stamps on the way for stuff that needs posting.

Hope everyone is having a good evening
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £288.05/£300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 17th Mar 17, 6:36 AM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 36,628 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning yippee it's Friday! I have an office day, except for 1 appt, to get things done so I am optimistic I should get through a lot

Have been up an hour and have tidied up a bit. Need to wash up and get lunches ready. Think I have time to do a load of washing and get it on the line before leaving

Other things to do today:

* get something out of the freezer for dinner
    * make note of mileage
    * take milk and sweetner to work so I can have a coffee
    * going to a friend's birthday party tonight and bff is driving so apart from a couple of drinks and one for the birthday girl should easy on the pocket. It's fancy dress and my outfit is a combination of given (top), borrowed (trousers) and already owned (shoes)

that's all I can think of/will have time for. Pathetic! At least it's not going to be spendy! Have a lovely Friday guys x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 17th Mar 17, 7:10 AM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 34,515 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Feeling quite cheery this morning. Have swept and mopped kitchen floor, cleaned hob (just too tired last night) and bleached washing up bowl. House looks reasonably presentable, I am on track with job no. 2 and I can actually get some down time this weekend.

I am going to visit my brother next month. My niece is dancing in a show and she wanted me to watch. I am going on my own which I know DH was a bit miffed about but I think tickets are limited so the invite was just for me. I am so looking forward to it and I managed to get train tickets for £42 which at the moment is a bit of an extravagant but I am not missing this for anything.

CCL I have been through this when colleagues were made redundant, it is horrible. Hugs.

Right, paid stuff no. 1, then gym then home to do more work. Looks like rain out there, glad I got all the washing done yesterday.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 17th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    • 3,629 Posts
    • 17,650 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Frugal Friends,
    Woke up at Silly O'Clock fretting. Received some really bad news yesterday & as I had to go out to a function, I didn't have time to 'process' it. Have decided that the best thing for me today is to throw myself into my usual Friday morning routine of a big house clean, followed by freezer/pantry/fridge inventory & shopping list. Then I'm planning to do several jobs from my 'Annoying Things' lists......because some of these have been waiting ages & are now SERIOUSLY annoying!
    Right. 26 mins of cheap electricity tariff left. Just enough for me to go & hoover upstairs.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £246
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 17th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 5,278 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Morning all
    - Drove to a work meeting yesterday. Got a free Costa there and back - claimed loyalty points.
    - Got a free bag of chocolate at work
    - Took a packed lunch with me
    - FPL
    - Doing shopping list today and off to Aldi and Home Bargains. Will look up super 6 and meat offers before I go. I recall seeing the meat offer poster last week and it had some things that we like.
    - got to sort out home insurance and energy comparisons with DH today. Might download the USwitch app and give it a whirl.
    - Overpaying min payment on CC bill.
    That's all for me today, LP x
    Womble #28 £2,287.34
    Pay off all debts by Xmas 2017 #40 £3465/£5865 Christmas 2017 Saving #11 £89/365
    Competition wins £11,840

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 17th Mar 17, 8:22 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 2,412 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    morning everyone
    never got my kitchen floor mopped but did get it hoovered.
    feeling better this morning, hopefully will actually get some more things done around the house today.
    Banking checked already, dishwasher unloaded and emails also checked.
    FVD- I hope DSGF is not too sore after her fall and is okay. doesn't seem very good that they couldn't supply her with the correct footwear at the beginning. I am the same with action paperwork, just up to date with mine again but I am terrible for putting it off
    DNMS- you seem to have alot of energy and very enthusiastic for a Friday, any spare can I have some please!!!!!-mount ironing everest needs sorting again!
    FOXGLOVES- I hope everything is okay

off to tackle the day....take care everyone xx
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 17th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 34,343 Thanks
    DawnW
    Sorry to hear that you have had bad news Foxgloves
    Very windy (and cold) here, though the sun is shining at the moment at least! Not a NSD by any means today as OH's pickup is having a new exhaust system today Also need some shopping, as I have run out of staples such as coffee and dried fruit

Today's list:
    Used up a brown banana for breakfast
    Fold and put away washing that was on the airer overnight Done
    Pick up OH from the garage in the next village Done
    Sainsburys shop Done
    Remake DS's bed and clean ensuite Done
    Sort out ottoman whose contents are all over the bedroom floor atm Done
    Empty airing cupboard and put contents away Done
    Clean bathroom Done
    Paperwork for business Done some, more to do though as it is number crunching it will need to wait till I am not tired!
    Use washing machine cleaner to hopefully deal with smelly washing machine Done
    Load of washing, dry on line Done, now folded and put in airing cupboard
    Use drain cleaner to hopefully deal with smelly drain (all rock and roll here ) Done
    HM meals, we will have the quiche I made yesterday for dinner Done
    Maybe do some gardening if I get all the boring stuff with drains, bathrooms, ottomans etc done first Shifted some big pots about, transplanted a thyme plant and some self seeded love in a mist, swept the patio
    Garage bill was eye watering
    Last edited by DawnW; 17-03-2017 at 8:12 PM.
    Grocery spends for September £143.05 / £160.00 (includes milkman's bill)
    SFDs for September 5/18
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 17th Mar 17, 10:56 AM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 21,690 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Was looking a bit overcast and drizzly first thing but has brightened up, another quiet day for me, so my little (boring) list:

Packed lunch for DH - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Continue watching "A Touch of Frost" boxset on firestick - In progress (didn't realise how many series there are)
    Collect DH's prescription -
    Look into buying a chest of drawers for DS's room -
    Take DS's school shoes for soleing and heeling -
    Check out car insurance comparisons (DH's renewal is £80+ than last year)
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Luckyphone, Ashleigh, FPL, Numberplatelotto -
    Read -

Have a great day, love to you all.

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in August 2017: £358.12/£155

Make £5 per day in September 2017: £351.89/£150
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 28,585 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone
    Thanks for the kind words. Clootiesmum - as I mentioned on FB last night, I just feel quite 'flat' at the moment. Everything is fine, nothing too stressful, nothing unmanageable but nothing brilliant either. I go through these times occasionally and I always get through it. I'll be fine
    Still skint, still busy, still not kicked my backside into touch so that I can get on with being a bit more mse than I am at the moment.
    Foxgloves - hope all is ok with you.
    Looking forward to a quiet weekend. My trainer is away, and ds football match has been cancelled so that's 2 less Saturday things that I need to worry about. I will make time to write a list and get back on the wagon - always feel better when I do that.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 17th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,666 Thanks
    angelpye
    Afternoon all,

I couldn't sleep until he early hours, for no particular reason, so got up late and been a bit lazy today. Raspberry canes arrived but now trying to figure out what to do in order to stick them in the ground - I will have to dig up some of my lawn for them.

Going to theatre tonight with an old friend - won the tickets but will 'need' to buy a couple of drinks whilst out. Still it will be a cheap night out anyway as I don't enjoy getting drunk or the hangover so a couple will be a couple.

Today:
    *Quick 30 rush around the house tidying
    *Pet related cleaning
    *All meals from home
    *Confirm necessary purchases for raspberry canes - have copper tape and strultch but seems I need manure and root grow. Need to check shed for fork as I seem to remember mine snapped although ex might have one.
    *Bit of work
    *Get ready for night out! (Not strictly MS but all products and clothes from home and I am really looking forward to it.)

Hope you all have a great day!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 17th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    Afternoon, everyone.

Have just had a not-very-MS week so need to tighten my belt this weekend and get down to some serious budgeting.

Today I will/have:
    * free coffee in town done
    * check on progress of phone repair done, repairs didn't work but at least it hasn't cost me anything
    * check all accounts done
    * check budget done
    * sort work expenses and receipts receipts filed
    * work, work, work!

Have a super day, all.
    US
    Last edited by uphillstruggler; 18-03-2017 at 5:46 PM.
    Finally taking control
    Emergencies account: £150/500 CC (17/07/17): £763.42
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 17th Mar 17, 4:34 PM
    • 4,795 Posts
    • 18,628 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I got up early this morning to put on a beef curry in the slow cooker before leaving for work so dinner tonight is pretty much sorted, I just need to pick up some rice on the way home.

I then arrived at work early and availed myself of the printer and some envelopes and posted all the bits of paperwork I've been meaning to do for ages.

It's not been a NSD as I needed to buy stamps plus there was a charity fundraiser at work so I bought cake Breakfast was defrosted YS raspberries and lunch was the mini tuna baguette from Pr@t.

Ive made a list of stuff that needs to be done at the weekend, my dentist appointment has been moved forward by an hour so I guess that adds an extra hour of daylight for the rest of the jobs that need doing!

Have a good one all!

• maria3104
    • By maria3104 17th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 9,520 Thanks
    maria3104
    Hi All

Just checking in. Hope you are all well.

I am very busy lambing and at work and am missing you all.

Hope to be quieter in April/May.

Keep well everyone.

Maria.
    April GC target £300
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

739Posts Today

6,579Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin