Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 6,181Posts
    • 34,641Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/03
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/03 13th Mar 17 at 7:38 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling '17 Apr £457.41/YTD £1907.45/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1015 Veg grown £5.29
    NSDs Apr 5/15 YTD 23
Page 3
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 14th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 20,664 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Overcast and chilly here, DS came home very withdrawn and sad yesterday as a boy in the year above him had died in a kickboxing tournament at the weekend. Sat here waiting for a Dr to call me back (the surgery rang me 3/4 weeks ago to say a Dr wanted to see me, they couldn't give me an appointment as none available but told me to ring in a morning from 8.15 which I've been doing but all gone by time I get through, was so blimming fed up this morning asked for Dr to call me back - why? what's it about? My response I don't know as he asked to see me - someone will call you back - can't get an appointment but happily still taking on new patients ) Today

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Continue watching "A Touch of Frost" boxset on Firestick (best pressie we've ever been bought, saved us a fortune so far) - In progress
    Filing & shredding - Done
    Continue purge on emails - Done a few
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps - Done a few
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer - Done
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL - Done
    Read - Done

Have a great day all!

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 14-03-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 14th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta

Overcast and chilly here, DS came home very withdrawn and sad yesterday as a boy in the year above him had died in a kickboxing tournament at the weekend.
    Originally posted by ziggy2407

I hope your DS is ok - it's hard for them to take in sometimes isn't it?
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £8741.84
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 14th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 17,314 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi guys,

Crikey, that's sad ziggy...

I've got two things to take back for a refund today - £12.50 to me and £10 to gift card.

I was on the Dave Ramsey site last night... Just thinking about a £1k emergency fund... Whether I should just pay minimum on my 0% cc's until I build one up... Could put away around £200 a month I reckon I have £883 set aside for 'true expenses' (big yearly bills and expected unexpecteds...) so I guess whenever that reaches £1k next month I can kindofa be happy that it has already happened, but it's not really the same because 'car insurance savings' aren't really an emergency IYSWIM... Arghhh, too much money stuff going on in my little head...

Here's me:
    Packed breakfast and lunch
    Leftovers for tea on a jacket potato
    Checked banking/YNAB
    Do everything in the house that I didn't do last night
    Lift to/from work - happy to still be a one-car family
    Shopping with a (small) list
    Looked at gifts I've got to buy (sorry I keep going on about this) and decided a couple of them that I can cut back on... Still need more of a think re mum's 70th...

Boring money day really - just how I like it!
    • natlie
    • By natlie 14th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    natlie
    Hello,

Cycled to work today, weather is ok but a bit windy and overcast fingers crossed it wont rain.

Cycled to my meeting in town, bought a coffee which will be reimbursed - £2.99 for a flat white !!!!! shocked

Popped into H&B picked up some nuts

Got a few meetings this afternoon then I've got to do a buffet for 20 people for tomorrow when I get home.

Brought lunch in to work for tea I am going to do peppers stuffed with veggie bolognaise and some mozzarella and salad (or kale)

Nat
    First Debt Free Date: July 2014

Currently working on my second Debt Free Date
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 14th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 4,281 Posts
    • 32,495 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    A bit cold and windy here, but not raining (so far at least!)
    Ziggy, sorry to hear about your son's schoolmate. So sad And we have a similar situation re GP appointments here, unfortunately

Joy of joys, OH has just come in and informed me that his vehicle needs a new exhaust

Today's list:
    Curtains washed last night on line to dry Done, now folded and in the airing cupboard (they don't need ironing )
    Dog walks x 2 (I done so far) OH did #2
    Pack and post 4 ebay items Done
    Clean disaster area that is my conservatory Done
    Hoover through rest of downstairs OH did this
    Put away throws and cushions not currently in use Throws are away, cushions have only made it up as far as the landing so far
    Rest of sausage casserole made yesterday for dinner tonight Done
    Make an apple crumble using apples from the freezer, for dessert Done, yummy with caramel swirl ice cream from yesterday's Iceland trip

Coffee to finish then I will head off to the post office. Will take dog, and that will do for his second walk!
    Last edited by DawnW; 14-03-2017 at 7:43 PM.

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 25,888 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Afternoon everyone
    I woke up this morning feeling fantastic. I had the best night's sleep I'd had in months, woke up naturally, without a headache.
    Promptly followed by a real challenge of a teaching day. The worst I've had in months. I'm trying to keep smiling and think I've almost made it but the truth is I fancy sitting down and crying at the moment. No big deal - I've gotten through worse than this and I will have an early night tonight and forget that today ever existed.
    Not much else to report - too busy to even keep track of my nsd's this month.
    NST April #15 NSD 12/16 RYSAW17 #1 £389.27 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 25,888 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    PS Hope that you're feeling better soon after the dental work DNMS.
    Sad news Ziggy, and I really hope that you get an appointment soon at the docs.
    Slugs (ugh) - love my house at night time. The cats just ignore them so I do too.
    NST April #15 NSD 12/16 RYSAW17 #1 £389.27 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 34,641 Thanks
    determined new ms
    ziggy what sad news. Hope ds is ok x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    NSDs Apr 5/15 YTD 23
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 16,399 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Tuesday Savers,
    Quite busy today, though did sit down for an hour at lunch time. Today's money saving activity:
    *Free fitness delivering leaflets. No encounters with unpleasant dogs, I'm pleased to say!
    *Turned my big fruit cake out of its tin......then realised I don't have a storage tin or cake dome the right size or shape to store it. Have quadruple wrapped it in foil for now....& left it out of the pantry. Our pantry is visited annually by a mouse & I'd hate for him to pop in & think I'd made him a 23cm fruit cake....that would be very pleasant for him, but not at all money saving for me. Hmmmm......may have to buy large square cake dome, as also have to transport finished decorated effort 80 miles. Better start looking at (hopefully sensible) prices.
    *Postie brought 8 balls of wombled sock yarn from my sis. Her friend was giving away her yarn stash....not a concept my brain really computes!
    *Bought bag of YS granola - £1.
    *Sowed rest of my March seeds (all free packets) as this did not get finished the other day because I ran out of compost. Watered everything else in greenhouse.
    *Potted up baby chilli plants & cloched with cut down clear plastic bottles.
    *Ran out of seed labels - no way am I buying any, so brought a load of used ones indoors & scrubbed the writing off, also made a few extra cut from saved plastic spread tubs.
    *Picked some more rocket.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Received a free full size product to test, so that's something that needn't go on this week's shopping list.
    *mr f is apparently bringing free Thornton's truffles home, courtesy of O2 Priorities.
    *Dinner as per meal plans - am making stroganoff & rice, using the l/o pork I cubed & froze a couple of weeks ago.
    *Paid £18.80 knitting money across to our Loan Pay Down Fund.
    *Recycled huge paddibag into my wrappings stash as it looks useful for posting one of my ebay items which is up tomorrow.
    *Did laundry overnight on cheap tariff & it's all dried really well out on the line today. Haven't used the heated airer for two weeks. Also turned spare bedroom radiator down a notch.
    OK, that's my money saving efforts. Tomorrow I am home all day with no meetings & (hopefully) no interruptions so if it isn't raining, I intend to get down to the veggie garden for a big de-cluttering session.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 14-03-2017 at 5:27 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £854-00
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £175
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 16,399 Thanks
    foxgloves
    DNMS - Yes, you did remember correctly......I do make a runner bean trench ready for planting out my beans. I think this is a really old idea aimed at retaining moisture around the roots of the bean, though they are quite hungry plants so it maybe feeds them a bit too. I don't really know if there's an official way of doing this. I dig out a trench where the bean canes/wigwams or whatever are going to go. I line it with a few thicknesses of newspaper, then spend 2 or 3 weeks tipping my kitchen veggie waste in. I use any veggie scraps, though prefer to avoid too many potato peelings as the eyes tend to shoot & you don't really want them growing & taking the food & water intended for your beans. Anyway, when I've got a decent layer, I back fill it with soil & water well & it just sits there rotting down by itself & friendly earthworms ready for you to plant your beans out at the end of May (or often beginning of June for me seeing as I live a lot further North than you). I'm nowhere near starting my bean trench yet for this year, but will defo be doing it next month.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £854-00
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £175
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 14th Mar 17, 8:17 PM
    • 10,354 Posts
    • 66,404 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Sorry to hear your news Ziggy hugs
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £53.06 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1530.12 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 14th Mar 17, 10:03 PM
    • 4,172 Posts
    • 33,360 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Heard that on the news Ziggy, awful.

Hope tomorrow is a better day CCL.

Very anxious today, not helped by waking up during the night from a bad dream. Left the slow cooker on high by mistake, chilli was a bit overdone. DS1 was complaining - thankfully out of my earshot or he would have had a pot full of chilli dumped on his head. Still upset me a bit though, especially as I am struggling with 2 jobs and trying to do the best I can with the very little money at the moment.

Anyway, moan over. I need a good nights sleep. As CCL says I shall just forget that today ever existed.
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 14th Mar 17, 11:49 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 20,664 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Overcast and chilly here, DS came home very withdrawn and sad yesterday as a boy in the year above him had died in a kickboxing tournament at the weekend. Sat here waiting for a Dr to call me back (the surgery rang me 3/4 weeks ago to say a Dr wanted to see me, they couldn't give me an appointment as none available but told me to ring in a morning from 8.15 which I've been doing but all gone by time I get through, was so blimming fed up this morning asked for Dr to call me back - why? what's it about? My response I don't know as he asked to see me - someone will call you back - can't get an appointment but happily still taking on new patients ) Today

Check Bank - Done
    Continue watching "A Touch of Frost" boxset on Firestick (best pressie we've ever been bought, saved us a fortune so far) - In progress
    Filing & shredding - Done
    Continue purge on emails - Done a few
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps - Done a few
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer - Done
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL - Done
    Read - Done

Have a great day all!

C x
    Originally posted by ziggy2407
    A good day considering, DS still very subdued - thanks for all your thoughts and best wishes.
    My saga with the Drs is still ongoing - Dr rang me back (one not familiar with my case) didn't know why she was ringing me but thinks Dr just wants a catch-up following my tests, nothing to worry about, although there was an infection/inflammation marker on one of the tests that came back high but nothing to worry about (told me this 3 times in the 5 min conversation), I explained that I received a call from them asking me to make an appointment which I have been trying to do for the last 4 weeks - oh well just make an advance appointment and come in whenever, although they do have appointments free next week but she wouldn't be able to allocate me one because it wouldn't be fair so I need to ring reception and make appointment. I rang reception only to be told no appointments available for 4 weeks, I told them I'd spoken to a Dr and she told me there are appointments available next week - well yes but we can't book them you have to book it yourself online - how?, well you have to come into the surgery first with your passport and we set you up. Never knew they did online bookings, why has no-one mentioned these before. So frustrated, but at least tomorrow is anther day that I can try and sort it.

In other news DH is still awaiting his phone call regarding his op and mum is fully settled in her new flat, loving it but still a worry (4 phone calls before 8.45am today).

Take care all, hug your loved ones tight. Night all x

It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 15th Mar 17, 12:32 AM
    • 10,354 Posts
    • 66,404 Thanks
    Bobarella
    ZiggyThe call sounds very un reassuring. The whole online appointment thing is good/annoying in equal measures. At least once it's set up you can use it as a faster tool but doesn't help right now.

Yorkshire Hugs. How annoying to feel your food wasn't appreciated.

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Mar 17, 7:25 AM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 34,641 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning I've been awake since 5.15! Madam was groaning which woke me and alerted me to the fact I needed the loo! The joys of getting older I'm finding

received an email from my allotment neighbour who has said I can take some cuttings off of her redcurrant bushes Now am undecided as to whether I should go to the lottie or continue sorting out our garden as I had planned. Currently all the pots I need to wash are sitting on the decking and everything looks a mess! Think I'll carry on with that and try to squeeze 1/2 hour at the lottie with madam later. There are workmen building a garage at a house on the lane to the lottie so going to ask them if I can have a couple of handfulls of sand to plant the cuttings

hoping to do some more sowing but that might be a bit ambitious with madam. She'll usually give me an hour or so in the morning but after that she wants to be played with!

Going to nip to the garden centre and get compost and hopefully a tap widget for the wormery might even pick up some herbs & salad leaves seeds.

In non-gardening news...

* read martin's email
    * all meals from stores - check meal plan and get something out
    * entertain madam for free. go to the library & park (didn't do yesterday) and play toys at home
    * walk most journeys (have an appt in next town later so will need to use it)
    * bake banana bread and scones (didn't do yesterday)
    * hang out washing
    * might see if friend wants to go swimming this afternoon
    * get clothes/bags/lunches ready for tomorrow
    * pay cc bill can't believe I haven't done this! Today is the last day I can do it. Must do it now! done!
    * get oh to bring home a spray bottle so we can weed kill our drive/paths

Ok that'll do. Going to get dressed and go in the garden for an hour
    Last edited by determined new ms; 15-03-2017 at 7:34 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    NSDs Apr 5/15 YTD 23
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 15th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,547 Thanks
    angelpye
    Morning all,

Ziggy, terribly sad for such a young man to loose his life, I hope your son is ok and the boys family have support. Unimaginable to loose a child.

Lovely sunny day here so must make the most of it.

Today:
    *YNAB - done and looking good.
    *Survey experiment - been off boil recently but two yesterday and one today = £3.60 towards future fun.
    *Washing mountain - bedding! Glorious sun so must get it out asap
    *Flylady is master bedroom and hallway cleaning
    *All meals from stores
    *Work,work,work

All I want to do is go for a walk along the beech and snooze the afternoon away but must not give in to that! Hope you all have a good day!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 15th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

Big hugs to all that would like them.

Feeling chipper again today, finally! Dunno what was up with me over the last couple of weeks but it can foxtrot Oscar.

Had a private physio appointment this morning. £30. Not directly MSE but as I'm starting to lift heavy and do a lot of exercise, I wanted an MOT. Physio has noted an imbalance in my right hip/glute which I was expecting. Have some exercises to do. More MSE than hurting myself.

Also leaving work slightly early today for my smear test. LADIES! If you are overdue for yours - take this as your reminder to book in!!!!

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores
    • Charge phone in work
    • Gym at lunchtime - done
    • Finish joining crochet commission (am almost done!) will likely get a fair chunk of the border done tonight.
    • Organised a lift for Friday (no train/taxi needed now) - done
    • Ebay item has sold! Will package for OH to take to the post office (he will die inside when I ask him to do this)
    Will add more as I go

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 15-03-2017 at 2:54 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £8741.84
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 15th Mar 17, 10:45 AM
    • 10,354 Posts
    • 66,404 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Morning

Matchsticks for me this morning too Determined was at work last night and I am terrible as I can't just get home and go to bed. Think I remember still being on the tablet till 2...Ah well.

I am still in a total whirl about what to do for the best on the work front. I am awaiting the results of my query on my rates. But in the meantime it is all very surreal. I'm worried enough about simply paying my usual outgoings in April, having recently lost a big chunk of my monthly revenue, let alone adding another £175 on top for that increase.

But then there are other things happening, like bookings coming in from influential people, who may be able to help me raise awareness of what I am doing simply by the fact so many people are interested in what they are doing. Can't say more I'm afraid. Sorry to be cryptic.

But then the very scared sensible side of me kicks in and says, bottom line, bills have to be paid or you'll be in trouble. I honestly don't think most people realise just how fine a line people in small local services tread. I paid my rent and rates today and have the princely sum of £35 left in my business account now.
    There is more coming, and booked work for the rest of the month but it's so up and down all the time.

But....On with small things.

1. Made a very nice home made sweet corn soup for dinner last night, there is plenty left for lunch. Came home with loads of rolls on Sunday so i will pop some more I'm to refresh in the oven. They crisp up really well.

2. We have so much in the fridge from the weekends events that I wrote a new plan based on all that and so far have only needed to spend £8 this week to top it up.
    3. Will need to shop today as the butter has run out. But will take my tiny list and stick to it.

4. 11 days till OH gets paid. I haven't transferred any money to myself yet this month, and we also have the council tax payment plus the £100 switching incentive stashed in my savings account. So I can top up our account if needs be, which I think we have around £15 left till I do need to.

5. DD is wearing a beautiful pink and white spotty dress today that was a gift I gave to my friends now 8 year old, that was worn by both her girls and come back to me it's still lovely and fresh looking.

6. Checked both my bank accounts.

7. OH WFH so we save on travel by using the same card for the day.

8. I made scones last night too, sultana, lemon and apple, with a rejected apple, they are really nice. Will do one for morning tea soon to save temptation at the shops.

9. A cheque cleared so that needs allocating to my son's account. But all a bit in a flux there as we closed his and sisters bank accounts at the weekend due to the branch closure. But the place i wanted to send it to won't have it because it's in their names not ours. Annoying.

10. Will carry the airer outside and hang the washing there as our washing line is down, but weather too nice to leave stuff in the house.

Have a good hump day all.

Bob

• ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 15th Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 20,664 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Today

Check Bank - Done
    Collect mums missing meds from chemist - Done
    Pop into Dr's and arrange online booking - Done (didn't even look at passport)
    Return item to Wilko for refund - Done
    Arrange online Drs appointment - Done, none available next week, earliest will be 06/04
    Washing and line dry -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -
    Read -

Have a great day all!

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 15-03-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    • ClootiesMum
    • By ClootiesMum 15th Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 9,913 Thanks
    ClootiesMum
    Will catch up with all the posts later - just popping on quickly to keep myself accountable...

Ziggy - so sorry for your son. I know there are counselors in my nephew's school to help them deal with his death - maybe they'll do the same in you son's school.

Quick listy:-

• Make fake tomato soup - only just found the recipe again
    • Hair cut to make my mop presentable for next week
    • Phone cousin & aunt to make arrangements for me picking them up in hired car next week - kind of - still need to confirm
    • Review flight prices to make sure they don't go up (due to finances I'd ideally like to wait until Sunday to book them)
    • Small shop with list
    • Another couple of job apps for DH
    • Review a company website for DH & fill in his details for him. I have to "be him" at times (insert roll eyes smiley in here)
    • Phone work to let them know I should be back 29th March - I'm going back on a staged return so this should allow enough time to have things put in place
    • Paperwork - start on 1st pass of this for Kondo. Will be piling like with like to all me to make a start on this.
    • Pick up prescription from chemist
    • Fill out 2 reference requests for DH work

And that is it

Will catch up later peeps

Take care out there

Last edited by ClootiesMum; 15-03-2017 at 5:51 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter