Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 6,203Posts
    • 34,848Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/03
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/03 13th Mar 17 at 7:38 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 264.46 Roadkill 28.25
    Wombling '17 May /YTD 1907.45/Roadkill 8.53
    CCC 85.94/250 CC saved 1015 Veg grown 5.29
Page 2
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Mar 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 23,298 Thanks
    allydowd
    Also unearthed:

* 4 lots of fabric softener

* 5 packets of napkins

* 4 bottles of handwash.

* 10 new washable cloths.

* Two boxes of crackers (under the tea towels?!)

Most of the tupperware-esque boxes are a write-off and are going to need replacing.
    Last edited by allydowd; 13-03-2017 at 3:36 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 3500
    Survey Rewards 2017: 64
    Swim for Sanity: 1810m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 16,503 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Monday Savers,
    I'll kick in today's list, then share my thoughts about slugs......
    *Contacted bank about strange text message received....which was from genuine bank phone no but still sounded a bit sort of 'scammy'. Turns out it was from bank's internal finance dept, but was sent out in error. Panic over!
    *Checked ebay listings - bids on two items - someone has (send for the defibrillator.....) bid one of them up by 50p!!!
    *2 baths from 1 lot of hot water.
    *1 radiator turned down (heating will go off at the end of this month)
    *Did laundry overnight on cheap tariff followed by a full price wash so as to make use of a lovely drying day. Pegged out & all dry for free. Washer loaded again for cheapy overnight tariff.
    *Baked large fruit cake, added extra sherry & have wrapped it while it cools. Certainly not money saving making a big celebration cake, but I only needed to buy 7 of its long list of ingredients & it's a lot cheaper than having one made professionally.
    *Popped down to greenhouse to water seedlings. Everything is popping through like crazy, especially the broad beans.
    *Topped up worm composter with scraps - I'd forgotten to write that job on my list today, so thanks to DNMS's mention of wormeries, my colony of wigglers got a lovely bowlful of carrot & sprout peelings, a pepper top, some yummy coffee grounds, half an egg-box & a cardboard tube!
    *Entered a competition.
    *Sowed mustard & cress seeds.
    *Did rubber chicken......it did a roast dinner yesterday, have done slices for same again tonight, then I rounded up an elderly onion, some bendy celery & some mushrooms that are surplus to requirement, made up some skimmed milk powder & used some more of the l/o chicken to make 2 portions of chicken & mushroom supreme for the freezer. All the other bits went in a container with l/o gravy & veg destined for mr f's next epic man-stew. Carcass in slow cooker for stock.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch & work snacks.
    *Did 3 or 4 very short surveys just to keep them ticking over.
    *Paid another 50p into my sealed pot.
    Relaxation tonight- TV & read library book, maybe knit, maybe not, I'm a free agent!
    Cheers all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 854-00
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 185
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 16,503 Thanks
    foxgloves
    OK, am back on the trail of slugs now....(see what I did there?)
    I would personally not spend any money on things to tackle slugs. I've tried various things in the past & nothing, but NOTHING works as well as vigilance. Barriers work to a small extent....they don't much like coffee grounds, but it goes mouldy & biodegrades quite quickly, so isn't brilliant. Crushed eggshells are good, as pricklier, but you need a lot.....I had some success putting a ring of this round each of my runner bean plants one year, but still lost some, as the b*ggers were scaling the hedge, getting onto the canes & abseiling down to the nearest plants. I have had quite a lot of success with beer traps but you need a lolly stick or coffee stirrer popped in those so that ground beetles (who are your friends cos they eat small slugs) can get out if they fall in. I just used margarine/spread tubs filled with beer, & it was noticeable how much better I did with good beer than some cheapo canned lager I once had left over from a party! You need to empty them regularly because otherwise the smell & sight of them when they are full of drowned molluscs is horrid. If it rains, the beer will be diluted & they won't get sufficiently drunk to fall in & drown. The best method of all is going out at dusk with a torch and the Bucket of Doom (as it's called in our house) & collecting them up.
    I never use slug pellets because we have too much wildlife, including thrushes & hedgehogs, both of which are declining species, so we don't use poisons. Attracting lots of wildlife to your garden is good for slug patrol because lots of things eat them.......beetles, frogs & toads, hedgehogs, thrushes, blackbirds & other birds, etc, so I think we would have a much bigger problem here if we didn't attract other wildlife into the garden.
    Cut down plastic bottles made into bottle cloches can also be helpful for protecting newly planted out stuf from molluscs. I make tons of them, but even with those, you can get a clever snail who works out that he can get in the top if he breathes in!
    They are a total pain, but I think we have to think of them as part of the wider eco-system.
    Talking about creatures, can hear cat yowling his head off....better go & investigate!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 854-00
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 185
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    You need to empty them regularly because otherwise the smell & sight of them when they are full of drowned molluscs is horrid.
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Horror story:

I had a whole beer can buried up to the brim for this exact slug-murdering purpose. And there it stayed... fast forward to spring and clf gets out her trowel and starts chuffing weeds out of the soil.

BANG!!

Trowel goes straight into beer can full of decomposed slugs and beer

It BURSTS... nay EXPLODES all over me from head to foot.

The stench was unholy. I will never feel clean again.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 8741.84
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 23,298 Thanks
    allydowd
    OK, am back on the trail of slugs now....(see what I did there?)
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Sounds like you've tried everything except electrocution!
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 3500
    Survey Rewards 2017: 64
    Swim for Sanity: 1810m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 13th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 10,537 Posts
    • 67,758 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Horror story:

I had a whole beer can buried up to the brim for this exact slug-murdering purpose. And there it stayed... fast forward to spring and clf gets out her trowel and starts chuffing weeds out of the soil.

BANG!!

Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    That made me laugh a lot: sorry (not sorry)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from 40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 53.62 2016-62.28 2015- 84.20)
    RYSAW17 1805.58 2016 2,535.16 2015 1027.20
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 6,203 Posts
    • 34,848 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Horror story:

BANG!!

paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaa!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 6,203 Posts
    • 34,848 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I've emailed my neighbouring plot holder and asked if I can take a couple of cuttings of their redcurrant bushes. fingers crossed!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 13th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    Carrie I think I would be sick! I definitely will be giving the beer a miss! I can't deal with icky stuff, just too weak in the stomach. I think I will try the strultch and ask W@itrose for their coffee grounds. Copper tape on the fence. The bushes are apparently prickly so if they get through all of that I think they deserve a good meal!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: 2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF 0/4200
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 13th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 17,423 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Tis a fine goal to be sure
    Yay, urge resisted!

I spent my lunch break giving blood rather than shopping so I felt even more smug than a normal NSD

I wish I could add to the slug chat but gosh I am so far behind gardening-wise! Even the bit that looked nice last year is so neglected and c rap looking again...

Ewwwww, CLF

Going to take it easy this eve (on the orders of blood guy ) but I will batch cook a chilli bulked out with grated carrots and mushrooms.

Also going to watch that 3 parter on tv @ 9pm.

Night all!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 10,952 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Not a bad day. Work was testing but I survived. Didn't get to go out wth DH as worked straight through until 6 did manage to rustle up a chorizo and baked eggs dish from stores for tea

Used two of my 'not normal' tea bags. DH has committed to drinking the lemon ones. DH and I both did some surveys, just over 3 away on 1poll. Got 3.65 fracked cashback with a work train purchase.

3 p1necone to cash out and move to savings.

Defrosted beetroot but didn't get chance to blitz it before DH went to bed and dint what to wake him up. Will do first thing. Dried two loads of washing on the line and put another in for overnight tonight.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    1LuckyLady

Todays list
    * Free breakfast at school for the kids
    * Gym session done to make the most of my membership (also filled water bottle there)
    * Brunch from stores, egg on toast
    * Cleaned out the shower room - mse because its left me with a clearer idea of what we have left and I know what I do and don't need to be buying. In the past we'd pop to the shop and buy things as we didn't know if we had spares etc. The use ups are going well and a bathroom cleaner spray that I'd claimed when a tenant moved out ages ago is now finished Cleaned out the shower room & bathroom sink plugs (plunger type plug holes) got some ys wooden bbq skewers out of the garage to get rid of some of the gunk
    * Washed 2 loads on quick 30 degree loads and both out on the line to (hopefully) dry Not even close to dry
    * Slow cooker on with the bones from yesterday's chicken and all the peelings to make a stock to then make into a soup Butternut squash & tomatoes prepped and in sc with the stock now Will stitch it on in the morning so that its ready for lunchtime
    * Sorted out medicine boxes again so I know what we have (I definitely don't need add any painkillers to the list for a long time as I have 12 packets of supermarket own brand ibuprofen in the cupboard!)
    Still to do
    * Check banking/update spreadsheets
    * Check fpl/luckyphone/numberplate
    * Record car mileage
    * Clean kitchen using stardrops
    * Run dishwasher on quick wash
    * Prep tea, going to have bbq pepperoni chicken pasta bake
    * Make families lunches for tomorrow
    * De junk email accounts
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    Thank you for the slug info Carrie & Foxgloves.
    I had a few cans of beer in the use up box so I've grabbed one of them and found 2 of the kids Frisbee's and poured some beer in, will see what happens!

Other small things
    ** Taught ds1 how to sew up a hole in his gym trousers
    ** Took a portion aside from the chicken/pepperoni thing so that dh didn't take extra, this will be the basis of the kids tea on Wed night now
    ** Updated freezer & use up box inventories, I'd not kept them up to date very well recently
    ** Sorted out the kids toys in garden shed getting rid of the broken bits and sent a couple of bits into the charity shop bag

Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    It's been an interesting day-the shower drama rumbles on, big boss, builders and OT all out for a big meeting in the morning as builders blaming me for messing up the shower, OT has argued my corner as it is mission impossible.
    Had a message and waiting for a letter from three-my details were part of the upgrade security hack in November-first time i've been made aware of it. But.....
    -was chuffed, did a shop this morning, stuck to my list(must be a first), tracked my spending as I was going around and had a coupon for 3 off. Cats all stocked up, and we're well stocked with staples.
    -banking all checked and balanced
    -rang round to book appointments, I still seem to be in that bitty part of the year where everything needs sorting-used mobile free minutes to do this.
    DD has had a cold and seems to have passed it on to me, now completely bunged up so CLF when i read ur post it didn't half put a smile on my face!!
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 383.15:money.
    April grocery challenge 171.21/ 200 May GC 93.22/190
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Mar 17, 6:51 AM
    • 6,203 Posts
    • 34,848 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning ahhhhhhh I love the peace of being up first thing! Thinking about getting ready and going to the lottie for an hour before oh goes to work actually now I'm thinking I'll actually wash my greenhouse as I didn't do that yesterday...

yesterday I was fully productive until I went to the dentist for my root canal work jeeze dental work floors me! So last 2pm I didn't get anything done. Little tender today but hope with pain relief it's pass...

What to do today?

* hang up yesterday's washing
    * chop and freeze 2 packs of super 6 leeks
    * go and pick up some boxes to make wormery have been searching for black boxes which I can't find so now am going to get clear and paint them
    * finalise cc payments. Started doing it yesterday but as it was the first time I'd paid in to my new account it didn't go in instantly and I was worried about transferring larger amounts without knowing it was going in iyswim?
    * pick up some compost for more sowing
    * flylady
    * finally do some baking with madam, must get out of this cba to cook phase!
    * think I'll take madam to the park & the library

ok that's it I think. Happy Tuesday
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Mar 17, 7:39 AM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 10,952 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all another lovely day you have planned DNMS your DGD is very lucky all the great things you do with her. I was up early with a helper so I've already:

Tidied kitchen, empty and reload DW and cleaned sides
    Made (and eaten ) cheapie baked oats for breakfast
    Made beetroot hummus and put some on my lunch of goats cheese salad (using up lots in fridge in process)
    Used mint from windowsill in hummus
    Took mince out of freezer, DH will make lasagne later
    Made DD packed lunch

Still to do:
    Hang washing out that did overnight on cheap
    Check to see if this months utility bill is in
    Check banking, surveys and FPL
    Stay away from purchasing a journal that's lovely
    Put washing from yesterday away
    Measure up space fo wardrobes so I can look online before we go to the shop next week
    Check annoying things list and try and do one thing Off it
    Cut back mint stalks I've just used
    Hot drink for commute

Right off to get the smalls and I ready for work/school
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 14th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 10,250 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Thank you DNMS for starting this weeks thread.

Yesterday we came to visit my parents for 4 nights, can't believe we haven't seen them since Christmas.

We arrived early afternoon and just enjoyed catching up together, as well as the children having lots of hugs with their grandparents.

Today I going out with my Mum, whilst the children stay with my Dad.
    We will do a couple of lessons before I go, some more when I get back and ds can do his independent learning whilst I'm gone. Dd will help my Dad with gardening, housework, cooking etc. They will still have time to play boardgames with him and also play on the wii together.

Today's plan:
    Pack lunch, drinks and snacks for tomorrow
    Pack children's breakfast for tomorrow
    Renew library loans
    Free entertainment for my Dad and children
    Educate my children for free
    Lights and appliances turned off at home

Today will be a spending day as I plan to pay for everything my Mum has planned for us to do, including going to her regular dancing class.

Apr '17 GC 280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC 910/1027.17
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 14th Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    Morning all,

Sunshine peeping through again! Love this time of year!

Today:
    *Flylady - living room today
    *YNAB - some bills went out and I love updating it all - so sad
    *Bit of work
    *All food from home
    *Order raspberry canes now I have definitely decided on plan

Have a great day everyone!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: 2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF 0/4200
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 14th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning all

Another day another dollar (or weak pound??)

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores
    • Make bread - done
    • Log calories in MFP - done
    • Gym at lunchtime - fought off an panic attack and smashed it
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • OH to do housework?
    • Washing out on line
    • Reconcile spreadsheet with OH as did not get chance on Sunday
    • Crochet joining (should get the joining done tonight!)
    • Heating off if warm enough
    Will add more if I think of it

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 14-03-2017 at 5:10 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 8741.84
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 6,203 Posts
    • 34,848 Thanks
    determined new ms
    foxgloves am I right in thinking you save your veg peelings for the bed you intend to plant beans in?
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 14th Mar 17, 11:19 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Baileys Babe, sounds like you'll all have a lovely time

Todays list
    * Gym session done to make the most of my membership & filled water bottle whilst there
    * Yesterdays washing on the line again as it didn't dry yesterday, no rain forecast but just seen a few drops on the window
    * Switched slowcooker on to make the butternut squash soup I'd put too much stock in with it so it was a bit then, fridge raided the last of the weekends mashed potato and added that, it was lovely for my lunch
    * All meals from stores, ys meat out of the freezer for us, leftover sausages for the kids.
    * Will grab a ys angel delight out of the use up box for dessert, will pad it out with some bruised banana's and chop a few grapes into it too.
    * Fridge tidy to make sure nothing goes to waste, I know I need to chop and freeze the peppers that I rejected on the weekends delivery. Peppers done, grated a carrot into the kids tea for tonight, another carrot grated to go into a date cake that's now cooking.
    * Check banking/update banking
    * Check fpl/luckyphone/numberplate
    * Share bathwater later and continue use up of lotions and potions

Enough to get started with! Have a good day all.

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 14-03-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,434Posts Today

6,840Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin