Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ron2017
    • By Ron2017 13th Mar 17, 7:13 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Ron2017
    Pip eligibility
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:13 AM
    Pip eligibility 13th Mar 17 at 7:13 AM
    Hello, i wonder if someone can help me as I am currently getting a headache about pip. I applied back in April last year and haven't even had an assessment yet as they have kept messing things up, but that's a whole book in itself but i wont go into that. I don't think i will get pip as i cannot prove I'm unwell if that makes sense.
    For the past six years i have been unable to work. It first started out with dizziness and pain in my chest, i never for one minute considered my heart as the pain lasted for hours at a time and i was only 32 at the time. To cut a long story short I have had every heart test you can imagine, most neurological tests but they still cannot find out what's wrong with me. They know it's something as i have passed out quite a few times and one neurologist said i have autonomic dysfunction when he examined me.
    Most of my time is spent lying down as I'm either in pain or so dizzy i cannot really stand, but on the odd occasion i feel reasonably okay i can easily prepare meals or walk 200 metres etc. The majority of the time i cannot do those things but I'm not sure if that will be considered. It also doesn't help that the doctors seem to be at a loss, i am still under cardiology as i have a recording device in my chest. After that i have no idea where they will refer me next.
    Basically any help is appreciated with regards to if I'm eligible for pip or not?
    Thank you.
Page 4
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    I'm just wondering if it's even worth pursuing as i don't really have medical evidence as even the doctors are stumped.
    Originally posted by Ron2017
    I think it would be, as you have nothing to lose by taking it to tribunal.

This guide is very helpful:
    http://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal

Tribunal panels are very thorough, and will carefully listen to your verbal evidence.
    Just be very clear on what descriptors and points apply:
    http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/547146/pip-assessment-guide.pdf

Supporting evidence can be from carers / family members.
    • Ron2017
    • By Ron2017 16th May 17, 7:22 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Ron2017
    Thanks very much for those links. I have had a callback from DWP today saying that they need medical evidence, I'm going to see my GP next week. Unfortunately his answer when I asked for something before was that he wouldn't have signed me off for six years if I was okay.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 16th May 17, 11:28 PM
    • 10,498 Posts
    • 19,479 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Thanks very much for those links. I have had a callback from DWP today saying that they need medical evidence, I'm going to see my GP next week. Unfortunately his answer when I asked for something before was that he wouldn't have signed me off for six years if I was okay.
    Someone else might be better able to interpret that callback... you don't need medical evidence but of course it always helps... that they are requesting it might be a generic reference that they are expecting a paper request for reconsideration or it may suggest they feel such evidence might be very significant in altering their minds. Not sure on that one... but if you can get some good evidence from GP even if it costs you... it might well be worth it. Just make sure you don't run out of time... you may well have plenty more after reconsideration request (failure) to get more before appeal.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 16th May 17, 11:41 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    And when you go to your GP, make him fully aware of how your condition affects you re the relevant PIP activities / descriptors.

It is possible that the DWP may request evidence themselves from your surgery.
    • Ron2017
    • By Ron2017 9th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Ron2017
    Hi, just finishing my mandatory reconsideration letter. I have read up on 'planning and following journey's. But I'm not sure if it applies to me as I applied for pip before March 2017, so I think I would be under the old rules and I am not entirely sure if it's from a mental or physical point of view?

Many thanks
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Hi, just finishing my mandatory reconsideration letter. I have read up on 'planning and following journey's. But I'm not sure if it applies to me as I applied for pip before March 2017, so I think I would be under the old rules and I am not entirely sure if it's from a mental or physical point of view?

Many thanks
    I'm a little confused about this because on 13/5 you posted that you'd just got your decision and that you'd been refused. We are now 9/7 and you say you're just finishing writing the Mandatory Reconsideration? You do realise that you have 1 month from the date of the decision to send this in? and you're well outside that time frame now, so i'm confused.
    • Ron2017
    • By Ron2017 9th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Ron2017
    I'm a little confused about this because on 13/5 you posted that you'd just got your decision and that you'd been refused. We are now 9/7 and you say you're just finishing writing the Mandatory Reconsideration? You do realise that you have 1 month from the date of the decision to send this in? and you're well outside that time frame now, so i'm confused.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    I asked for the mandatory reconsideration either on the 11th or 13th of May, they then asked me to provide medical evidence and I told them that I will need more time. First I asked for two weeks and then I asked for another three weeks, which they gave me.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 9th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 15,045 Posts
    • 21,384 Thanks
    antrobus

Many thanks
    The new regulations came into force on 16 March 2017. I believe that any PIP claim submitted before that date, would be subject to the 'old rules'.

The new rules change the wording for descriptors c, d and f, under mobility activity 1, from 'Cannot...' to 'For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot... The reasoning being that 'overwhelming psychological distress' is already covered under descriptor b.

I don't know whether this makes a difference to you. But 'Planning
    and following journeys' is basically the mental health bit of Mobility. Moving around is the physical health bit.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 9th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 18,024 Thanks
    nannytone
    planning and following a journey also relates to sensory disabilities as well as mental health conditions
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I asked for the mandatory reconsideration either on the 11th or 13th of May, they then asked me to provide medical evidence and I told them that I will need more time. First I asked for two weeks and then I asked for another three weeks, which they gave me.
    In my calculations you're still outside of this time frame and you've only just finished writing it. You still have to send it to them
    • Ron2017
    • By Ron2017 13th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Ron2017
    In my calculations you're still outside of this time frame and you've only just finished writing it. You still have to send it to them
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    PIP seem to be very accommodating to me at the moment, then again it has only taken FIFTEEN months to get to this stage lol. I received a call yesterday from the decision maker saying that they have received all of my papers and will try and do it within two weeks.
    All I have to try and sort out now is why I have been in the ESA assessment group for THREE YEARS lol, I'm starting to think that someone in DWP does not like me
    • Ron2017
    • By Ron2017 24th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Ron2017
    Just rang to see if they had an update and was told it was a decline. Not sure if it's worth going to the tribunal really as fed up with it all.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 24th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Just rang to see if they had an update and was told it was a decline. Not sure if it's worth going to the tribunal really as fed up with it all.
    Which doesn't surprise me because most MR decisions remain the same. Most people have to take it to Tribunal. You have 1 month from the date of decision, the same as the MR to decide.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 24th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Only 20% of decisions are changed at MR stage (usually when new evidence is attached or the DWP have really fouled up). However, c. 65% of PIP appeals taken to Tribunal are allowed.

It is the tribunal panel who will consider your appeal thoroughly, not the DWP at MR stage.

http://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal

Don't give up now.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 24-07-2017 at 7:27 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,391Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin