Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 13th Mar 17, 6:12 AM
    • 2,692Posts
    • 35,736Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 13 March 2017
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:12 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 13 March 2017 13th Mar 17 at 6:12 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 13 March 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry underfoot, light cloud with varying shades of pink - so could mean rain later, we'll see.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work, DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was roast chicken with tagliatelle in a bacon and mushroom sauce, enjoyed by us all. We didn't have a roast at lunchtime as DS2 was doing his last day of work experience, and we were out and busy - so it made more sense to cook later once he was home. I remembered to get the meat out to defrost, so we'll be having stew and dumplings, but I need to get some more suet or dumpling mix this morning.

Weekend was busy as DH and myself both worked Saturday morning, then had a few jobs to do Sat afternoon and we wanted to watch the rugby, had hoped the result would have been a bit closer. Yesterday we just continued with the jobs we had to do, got those done, then visited outlaws and my parents, then came home. Back to work today, and we're expecting it to be very busy as we're now in the run up to 1st April.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 13-03-2017 at 6:26 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Mar 17, 6:34 AM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 29,284 Thanks
    Gers
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:34 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:34 AM
    Morning all.

Up with the larks as I've got a lot to fit in today so I want to make sure I get through it all.

Yesterday was a kind of non-day as I was spectacularly unproductive and rather lazy. I'll make up for it today!

Happy Monday to everyone.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 13th Mar 17, 6:40 AM
    • 954 Posts
    • 10,221 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:40 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:40 AM
    Internet ate my post.
    Morning, I am much better (so far) and must go to work, see you later.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    • 3,260 Posts
    • 36,975 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    Morning All

A wet and miserable start to the week here. Wasn't a great weekend weatherwise but did manage to get quite a lot done.

Helped DD start to empty her flat, going back on Wednesday for another car load. Not sure where she's going to put everything, seems that my loft will be full!

I'm going to try and eat a little more healthily, chocolate was quite high on diet this weekend and it needs to stop. If the weather is ok when I finish work I'll go for a walk.

Hope the boat stay was good HH.

Have a good Monday. Take care. XX
    • lonewhitewolf
    • By lonewhitewolf 13th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    lonewhitewolf
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    Morning all x
    Had a bad nights sleep so bit zombie like this morning . Just could not get comfortable. No matter what way I laid my hips were hurting. Still aching now so just my might have to give in and call the bone puller and make an appointment not that I can afford it but at least he sorts it out instead of givinger me pain killers like the doc would.
    Need to wait in for an amazon delivery today of 45 loo rolls . But once they have come I'm hoping to be able to get to the shops for some more yogurt mix.
    DD1 and DGD spent the day with us yesterday and so now need to sort the house again. Little whirlwind that she is .
    Dinner will be either one of the meals already prepared in the freezer or if I get chance a fish pie.
    Anyhoo birthday wishes to anyone celebrating today .
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
    • tru
    • By tru 13th Mar 17, 6:47 AM
    • 8,463 Posts
    • 41,367 Thanks
    tru
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:47 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:47 AM
    Morning

Tru - when you've trained scampi just to dig in allowed area, can you let me know your method as Mason (parson JRT) loves to dig anywhere.
    Originally posted by topsyturphy

Will do Don't hold your breath, this is going to take a while, lol. He's in heaven when digging on a beach, I'm seriously tempted to buy a sandpit

We've had three days of fab walks – although I don't walk him straight past people yet (it's just too close), there's been no barking at people just a few feet away, no reaction to pushchairs, bikes and a shopping trolley, a bit of worry when two women carrying toddlers kept changing direction very close to us (they were looking for their friend's house and couldn't decide where it was, lol) but he didn't even pull, just kept an eye on them til he felt he was at a safe distance. He let a stranger stroke him She stood and waited for him to go to her and after eyeing her for about 15 seconds, he decided she was OK. He barked a couple of times at a man rushing down the road, yelling into his phone 'sorry I'm late, I'm on my way now', lol. But then he stopped and looked at me as if to say oh, I'm not supposed to do that, am I? Then sat down and asked for a treat

All this pottering has resulted in me being busy but not achieving very much at all, lol. I'm still very wary of lifting anything but I need to get things done, so I'm going to write a list of jobs that I can manage and make a start. Not sure how it'll go but we'll see. I think I'm just bored and need something to get stuck into.

The horrifying moment when you're looking for an adult but then you realise that you are an adult
    So you look for an older adult, someone successfully adulting
    An adultier adult
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 13th Mar 17, 6:50 AM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 18,243 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:50 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:50 AM
    Morning folks and thanks for the start NMLC. Lovely start to the day here with blue sky and a spectacular sunrise. Sadly the wind looks to be back with us. The trees and birdfeeders are blowing again.

After quite a lazy and gluttonous birthday weekend I must get back to a bit of sensible eating. The hospital visit will take up most of the day as Mr TA has the MRI scan of his spine, but the biggest worry will be waiting to see the doctor at the musculo-skeletal clinic for the result on the 29th. Still waiting to hear from Oncology at Leeds about what route his treatment there will take. Trying not to worry but it's not easy.

I think lunch will be a snack at the hospital so just tonight to think about. Will get some chicken fillets out to defrost I think as they are pretty versatile. Will see what we feel like when we eventually get back.

Have a good day folks if you can and (HUGS) as always for the poorlies, sad or worried who want one. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 13th Mar 17, 7:00 AM
    • 2,785 Posts
    • 32,443 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:00 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:00 AM
    Morning all
    I'm showered, shaved and ready for work.
    The fish have been fed and my L&M has a cuppa.
    AOD, the pram cover on the boat is the canvas cover that covers the stern (back end), not all boats have one, ours does but it's leaking as there are holes in it. I assume it's called a pram cover as it folds up and down like the hood on a pram.
    We have also got a quote for a cratch cover to cover the front end of the boat to make more secure storage.
    It's time I got a wriggle on, have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 13th Mar 17, 7:13 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 6,168 Thanks
    karcher
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:13 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:13 AM
    Quick hello

Running late, feel like a zombie, is it really Monday already?

Have a good day all.
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 29,284 Thanks
    Gers
    Just got word that my SIL's father died today. He was a very well known Australian broadcaster on Channel 7 which broadcast a piece about him.
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 13th Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 2,203 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Hope all goes well for Mr TA
    Tru your hard work is paying off with Scampi
    HH sounds like the boat is coming along nicely
    Not much to report from here taking mum for her check up today then shopping . We missed DD2 21st at the weekend as she stayed with her boyfriend but they will be here on Friday for the weekend and we are going for a belated family meal
    Hugs to all who need them and have a great day
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 10,791 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning chums,

Lovely morning here. Nicest it's been for quite a while - nothing but blue skies.

The weekend just goes in too quickly. I went and viewed 2 more flats on Saturday. 1 was too small and the other was in a terrible neighbourhood. Abandoned shopping trolleys dotted about etc. I've a 2nd viewing tomorrow for a flat which I like - fingers crossed.

Usual plans for a Monday for me. Gym > work > healthy dinner > badminton > bed. Will also be a NSD.

LWW - 45?! I hope that lasts for a while.
    TA - A belated birthday.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 13th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 12,796 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Bright morning, so washer on with bed linen in, towels waiting for the sheets before they get a wash.

Very lazy day yesterday. OH was very tired for some reason, went for his siesta and then back for another couple of hours later. His mouth is better this morning too.

Off to start as much of the Monday clean as I can do, with rests in between.

I have had a couple of reasonable nights sleep, hopefully it will continue.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 14,663 Posts
    • 116,358 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning everyone a glorious spring morning with the sun out and about and shining beautifully this morning doesn't it make you feel glad to be alive on a bright day,sun certainly make you feel so much alive I am off to Book club this morning then probably a walk around the park afterwards just for a nice breath of fresh air .

NSD today tonights meal is LO's from last nights dinner ,only have to make some gravy and cauliflower and zap in the microwave.Three weeks until we are off to the IoW for a break .I shall start sorting out my tinned food box and essential stuff to take with us on our trip later this week.if the weather is like this it will be smashing .

Hope you all have a good day what ever you are doing, enjoy doing it

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    New food budget £60.00 for May
    • redruby
    • By redruby 13th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 6,279 Posts
    • 86,556 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all,

Lovely bright day here it feels really spring like, I have had a lovely lay in this morning and feel slightly more human than I did yesterday.

So I have today and tomorrow off which I very much need, today I am going to collect two parcels from the post office, have a tidy through and take little Evie over the fields for a lovely walk, this afternoon you will find me on the sofa with a film and some chocolate I shall probably nap too !

Washing is on the go just some towels but they should dry well today, I shall have a hoover round after this.

I also need to hoover my car out and fit the new mats, they have us parking in a temporary car park at work which is thick mud so the drivers side of my car is filthy !

Camelot is your DD moving ?

Have good days all xx
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 13th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    carolbee
    Lovely and bright down here on the coast. Been to allotment and now going for cycle ride along the front with a friend.

JackieO, I'm going to IoW in May, we loved it so much last year, to the caravan site at Adgestone.
    Carolbee

Not buying it 2016
    • lonewhitewolf
    • By lonewhitewolf 13th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    lonewhitewolf
    Lol squeaky. 45 will hopefully last a while. I get the andrex ones off amazon . 17 quid for the lot and delivery so no trying to cart them back from the shops. It is the one thing I refuse to buy cheap.

Finally managed to get the garden back to a semi respectable state after the storm. And now washing is hanging on the line drying lovely.
    Bright Blessings xx
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 13th Mar 17, 2:03 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 24,832 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi all,
    Lovely and sunny here in central London. A busy weekend and would you believe I only cooked one hm meal. Out for breakfast, lunch and dinner on Saturday. Had an omelette at home yesterday then DH and I went to see 'the play that went wrong' (Christmas pressie from ILs). Very funny farce/monty python type show which I would highly recommend. Had a naughty curry takeaway last night with the children so feel a bit like miss piggy today.
    Have a quiet-ish day today and boss is out. Catching up on some paperwork and expenses. DH has put on two loads of washing today which I hope he remembers to hang out rather than tumble dry. Managed to get DS1s car renewal insurance for half the quoted price with his original insurer (£833 as opposed to £1649) - still a lot but at least it's manageable. We will pay for it and he will give us the money back when he gets paid each month to save the extortionate APR quoted.
    DD made some choc chip cookies yesterday, so that's treats sorted for the next day or so (not for me as on a chocolate Lent ban). Need to pick up some bits from the supermarket, so might go on my way home tonight. DH is cooking SW Mexican chicken with rice - all ingredients already in stock
    Hope you all have a good afternoon/evening
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Gingerbread Trio by Little House Needleworks
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 13th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 11,697 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I'm reeling over here with the news from home. I can't vent - one of the group has a partner who's an SNP MSP. A very divided group tonight.

However, the weather is glorious. I managed 2 hrs of skiing today before my Reynauds kicked in which is unheard of. Forgot to take a change of socks and my snow boots or I'd probably have managed more. I'm going to hurt tomorrow. But we are going Nordic walking instead.

It's amazing being with a group of women who can accept that just because you CAN ski, you don't HAVE to. And who will allow me to pootle around on green and blue (easy) runs rather than throwing myself down a black Olympic run and being miserable

I may have to come away without DH again because he will never get it.

Excited to hear about the boat Hester and the second viewing Speky
    *** Debt Free***
    NST April: NSD = 11/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/4/17 £967.18/£3,000, 32.24/32.88% of the year.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 13th Mar 17, 5:17 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all.
    Had a bad night again so was a bit cranky this morning but the sun was shining. Yesterday we had decided to go out walking today so set off with a packed lunch to the Brecon Beacon Mountain centre.
    However by the time we got there the skies had clouded over and it was freezing with a biting wind and we had to eat our sandwiches in the car . Poor DH, I moaned so much that he took pity after the walk and bought me coffee and cake in the tearoom and we both managed to take some good photos of a buzzard in flight .
    Hoping for better weather tomorrow as my washing basket is full again and tomorrow I want to change the bedding.
    I have put the rubbish bins out ready for tomorrow as they are here from 7am and DH would probably forget in the morning. ( or swear I never asked him )
    Hugs to those that want / need them.
    Gers my condolences.
    nan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,127Posts Today

6,416Users online

Martin's Twitter