Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mustachio
    • By mustachio 13th Mar 17, 12:32 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 14Thanks
    mustachio
    Credit rating and credit card allowance
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:32 AM
    Credit rating and credit card allowance 13th Mar 17 at 12:32 AM
    I have a credit card related question (I know, I know). I have credit card and the amount they will let me spend has extended from 2000 to 7000 (over about 5 years).

My question is would the extensions given by a credit card reduce your potential borrowing in relation to credit scoring, etc?

I actually have a very good credit rating but I am just wondering if it is worth reducing my limits back down since I am not using them and don't intend to

Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th Mar 17, 3:57 AM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:57 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:57 AM
    It depends on many things - each lender is different.

On one hand, this limit demonstrates you can manage credit responsibly. If you are using and paying off in full each month.

On the other hand, if you wanted a loan for 10k then you are asking a lender to almost treble your lines of credit overnight.

So many other factors as well though it's never going to be a definitive answer.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    7000 total credit limit on credit cards is quite low. Nothing to worry about at this stage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

220Posts Today

1,163Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin