Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Mar 17, 11:21 PM
    • 4,437Posts
    • 37,283Thanks
    Frith
    Wisdom tooth woe
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:21 PM
    Wisdom tooth woe 12th Mar 17 at 11:21 PM
    Into my 5th decade now and no fillings yet. All teeth present apart from 4 removed for braces around 30 years ago. The agony after those extractions is not something I would ever agree to again, with the jaws under the bottom teeth aching for nearly 2 years afterwards...

Top left wisdom tooth lost its back corner last June. My dentist has "rebuilt" it, smoothing it off and giving it a white filling. It was not decayed and needed no drilling.

On Friday the white filling fell off again - this is the 3rd filling to fall off. No more tooth ever falls away, just the filling, which leaves the tooth in a sort of croissant shape with 2 incredibly pointy prongs.

I phoned to make an appointment and the dentist has used all his NHS funding until April. Phoned their sister dentist and spoke to a very snotty receptionist who first asked me "why all these patients are coming to us" - as though I know - then said "If it hasn't worked 3 times, you'll be having it out".

Cancelled my appointment with them yesterday and am now too worried to make another one.

Is there anything else they could try? I don't know why they keep trying to make it tooth shaped, building the corner back up.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
Page 1
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 13th Mar 17, 12:46 AM
    • 12,081 Posts
    • 11,455 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:46 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:46 AM
    I don't know how easy it is for you to find another one, but if I were in your shoes and had experienced what I had (via the receptionist) I'd be looking for a different dentist elsewhere. If not then just for a second opinion; having a tooth out was the very last option and you need to feel assured they have tried everything.

I know that the three times thing is how it works, because I've been in that position and I've actually been told if a crown falls out twice then there is no third time, but I generally trust that my dentist has tried everything they can to save things first. If I had doubts, I'd not stick around.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 13th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 8,647 Posts
    • 10,290 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    Firstly - It's not up to the receptionist to treatment plan over the phone to a patient she's never met, and isn't qualified to make these decisions anyway.

Thats just as bad as taking advice from an internet forum

You need to be seen by a dentist and discuss these options with them.

I have no idea why they've done what they've done, why it's failed, or if anything different can be done that has a greater chance of success. That is the conversation you need to have with a dentist who can see you. But one thing is for sure - nothing is going to improve by burying your head in the sand and hoping it will go away! That is the most likely course of action that will make extraction the only option.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with your ortho extractions - but they really shouldn't have been like that. That isn't really very much help to you - as it obviously was. But taking out uncomplicated wisdom teeth (Those that aren't half buried or at strange angles) is usually very straightforward too.

No dentist is going to do anything to you without your consent though. So don't go to any appointment afraid that it's going to be whipped out without your explicit agreement.

You do however, need to get to the dentist and discuss this.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    • 4,437 Posts
    • 37,283 Thanks
    Frith
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    Thank you.

One of the roots snapped off one of the lower teeth they extracted last time. They had to leave that bit of root behind (the roots were 4 pronged). That might have made one side hurt but no idea why they both hurt.

I'll make an appointment with my normal dentist for April.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

413Posts Today

4,320Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin