Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 34Bella
    • By 34Bella 12th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    34Bella
    2014 Council Tax demand
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    2014 Council Tax demand 12th Mar 17 at 10:34 PM
    I have received a bill for council tax for 2014 for my parents house. Are they still able to ask for this? It is for a reasonably small amount but we thought it was all paid up to date as per bills sent at that time. Can they come back for more three years later? Will this keep happening?? I thought this chapter in my life was closed and feel so upset it's come back to haunt me! We sold the house in 2014! Thank you
Page 1
    • 34Bella
    • By 34Bella 12th Mar 17, 10:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    34Bella
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:35 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:35 PM
    Ps my parents died in 2014 sorry not clear...
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    • 9,637 Posts
    • 7,628 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    There is a limit of 6 years for an outstanding debt, but as this a tax, it is not classed as a normal debt and 6 year limit does not apply. So yes they can chase for a 2014 underpayment.

You need to be very clear as to what period the bill is for, and who was the occupier at that time - your parents or the executors of their estate.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 13th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 9,974 Posts
    • 5,692 Thanks
    CIS
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    A Local Authority can issue a revised demand notice at any time if an adjusted/new charge becomes due - this can be because they've revised a discount or exemption etc. Once a demand notice in issued this way they have 6 years to obtain a liability order, if needed.

If it is simply a duplicate of the original demand notice then the local authority would have 6 years from when the demand notice was originally issued to enforce the charge by way of a liability order, if needed.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,830Posts Today

5,263Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin