Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 12th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2,300Posts
    • 33,279Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017 12th Mar 17 at 9:15 PM
    Its been lovely to see some de-lurkers and some newcomers; do please post even if it's just to say 'list completed'

Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Thank you Dusty for last week's thread.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondays are Marvellous!! - Kitchen and Dining Area
    Level One...

Deweb and polish
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Run WM's and DW's through a clean cycle.. don't forget to scrub out the drawers and filters.
    Level Two
    Wipe the table
    Wash the windows and sills
    Degunge the fridge
    Wash any curtains/table cloths that need it
    Level Three
    S&S the hob & oven
    Wipe the units and large appliances

Extras:
    Declutter any drawers that need a really good decluttering!!
    Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces
    Clear out a cupboard of junk!

Twinkly Tuesday - Living room, hall, stairs and porch!
    Level One

Declutter ALL the floors!!
    Clear the mantle of junk
    Level Two
    Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
    Vacuum/sweep all the floors.. stairs too!
    Vacuum/sweep under furniture you can safely move!
    Vacuum sofas
    Level Three
    Wash the windows
    Wash any soft furnishings that need it
    Wipe down ALL the paintwork!
    Extras
    • Wipe and water plants
    • Dust all the electricals.. carefully.. don't want anybody getting fried!!!
    • Wipe front door.. inside and out!
    • Binbag dance
    • HHI

Wiggly Wednesday- Master bedroom and landing!
    Level One

Strip and wash the bedding
    Air the duvet.. if nice hang it out on the line for a blow!
    Quick one.. check those smoke alarms!
    Level Two
    Clear the floordrobe
    Deweb and dust
    Empty and wash out all the bins!!
    Wash windows
    Level Three
    Sort through a hotspot
    Half hour... FILING... meanness I know
    Organise your toiletries and make-up stash, do you really need 6 lipsticks!!!!
    Sort through a cupboard.. make it neat and tidy
    Extras
    • Half hour... FILING... meanness I know but it won't do itself!!
    • Deweb and dust
    • 36 fling boogie!! .. GO
    • Empty and wash out all the bins!!
    • Quick one.. check those smoke alarms - no that doesn't mean burn the toast/bacon to check !
    • Clean out pets/wash beds

Thursday Thrills - Bathroom and Study..
    Level One

Vacuum/mop floors
    Wash towels/flannels and replace with clean ones.
    Declutter the floors
    Level Two
    Wash the windows
    Wash the bath mat and replace
    HHI
    Wipe down the tiles
    Level Three
    Dejunk the desk and wipe off the gunge
    Empty out a cupboard clean it out and put back only the bits you need to keep
    Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
    Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
    Scrub the bath, sinks, toilets, showers and tiles etc
    Extras
    • Change any lightbulb you have been leaving…
    • Collect all the laundry from upstairs
    • HHI
    • Sort out the coats and bags and shoes..
    • Do a cupboard stock take and sort a meal plan and shopping list
    • Fill a binbag for charity shop

Friday is Funky! - childrens rooms! ~ spare rooms or just attack a neglected room!!
    Level One

Strip and wash any bedding that need it
    Make half an hour appointment or you time!! you deserve it.. nails done, hair appointment.
    Level Two
    Dust and deweb the whole room
    Declutter the floor.. inc under the beds and units
    Vacuum floors
    Dust and deweb the whole room
    Wipe away sticky marks
    Level Three
    Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
    Wash windows
    Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
    Binbag dance!

Extras
    • Catch up on necessary phone calls inc making those much needed appointments
    • Ring someone you've not spoken to in a while..
    • Delete some of those old contacts and texts off your mobile phone!!
    • Meal plan for the next week and make a shopping list... based on what you found in the freezer and those things that need using from weekly cupboard sweep.
    • Extra 30 minutes ironing.. school uniforms? work clothes?
    Last edited by Natty68; 17-03-2017 at 7:30 AM.

Debt free as of 3rd May 2012
    But still struggling financially
Page 6
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 18th Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 1,236 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning all.
    Quick fly by this morning before I tackle the ironing pile. Nothing got done yesterday, which was ok as the house looks presentable and it was a busy week. Gardening was on my hopeful list today but the weather doesn't look so great. DH has gone to FiL to do his shopping for him and general chores. DD is still in bed, catching up on the sleep she missed by getting in so late on Thursday night / Friday morning from a school theatre trip. I am going to catch up on a few things around the house before being mum-taxi later. Step 1 - the cooker hood is in soak as it was horrible and smelly. Then on to the ironing pile - shirts...yuk!
    Catch you later.
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 18th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 33,918 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Morning flyfriends x

I'm up but not quite with it yet. Everyone else is still in bed. WM is on its second load and the TD is on. I can't wait to be able to get the clothes on the line again, miserable here.

Weekend list is
    Ironing all work/school stuff
    Trying to keep the place tidy
    Meal plan for next week with as much fling in the SC meals as possible
    Get a shopping list written
    SOMFA and read although that might not come off as GS might be staying over tonight in that case I will be playing cars and skittles

Off to tidy as noisily as is possible, if I'm up so will this lot be
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    GC March £297.51/£500 April £12.48 /£400
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 18th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 11,161 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Slightly concerned. The kitchen is spotless, but the drying rack is full of stuff I left there last weekend. Only sandwiches appear to have gone from the freezer.

I know DH had a takeaway last night - I got an email asking how I'd enjoyed it while out enjoying my last meal. Means we are having leftover curry tonight. I'll turn the chicken I'd asked him to take out into something for tomorrow.

WM and DW on. Mostly unpacked. Living room and dining room are spotless. DH is out studying. I'll have to check he hasn't been substituted for an upgraded housetrained model when he walks through the door
    *** Debt Free***
    NST March : NSD = 12/15
    Goals - Weight loss 10/23lbs
    GC To 1/3/17 £440.71/£3,000, 14.69/16.16% of the year.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 18th Mar 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 19,299 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Slightly concerned. The kitchen is spotless, but the drying rack is full of stuff I left there last weekend. Only sandwiches appear to have gone from the freezer.
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    Sure he didn't check into a hotel for the week?...........hope you had a good time.
    No flying today as BIL here so we took MIL out for what was meant to be a walk in gardens in Cambridge followed by lunch.....got there and the parking we normally use was dug up and covered in traffic cones; nearest parking was 50 per 15 mins so we just drove to a suitable place for lunch!!
    Boys have gone out this eve so I'm report writing.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 19th Mar 17, 8:34 AM
    • 927 Posts
    • 11,161 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Sure he didn't check into a hotel for the week?...........hope you had a good time.
    Originally posted by Narc0lepsy
    Had a great time, thanks.

DH must have got very bored. Despite there being 14 different meal options in various quantities, he's eaten 5 turkey chilli and 4 Bolognaise. No imagination.

Freezer now up to date, and I've meal planned.

Apparent he cleared up on Saturday morning after getting rid of his guest at 2am.

He's off diving today so I'm off to the gym and to Lidl for veg, dairy and Toiletries. He hadn't even bought milk.

Have a great day peeps. I'm back to 'Flying with a vengeance, and fluffy mules'
    *** Debt Free***
    NST March : NSD = 12/15
    Goals - Weight loss 10/23lbs
    GC To 1/3/17 £440.71/£3,000, 14.69/16.16% of the year.
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 19th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 28,765 Thanks
    dancemum
    Morning folks sorry I haven't posted. Hope everyone is ok X

Glad you enjoyed your trip FurrybeastOz.

Been for a family walk this morning to get some air.

Checked garage door frame to see what repairs are required due to the recent weather.

3 X wm done including a teddy which has been to the dance studio for a while standing in for the baby sleeping beauty.

Just cooked brunch and DH has washed up

I'm now meal planning for the week.
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 19th Mar 17, 12:18 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 33,918 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Hi all x

I hope you are all sitting down for this announcement (fanfare please)
    DS1 CLEANED HIS ROOM ON HIS OWN
    Yes I know I'm still in shock. On the downside we have no idea what is clean or dirty so I have Ben Washing the revenge!

Nipped to Mr M for packed lunch stuff and more soap powder and softener.
    Did the ironing of the work/school stuff yesterday so I can have a lazy day. I have did a quick tidy up in all rooms and apart from WM and TD I'm doing nothing else.

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone x
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    GC March £297.51/£500 April £12.48 /£400
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 19th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 6,615 Posts
    • 83,810 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Yay FFP

OMG, dd was moaning about hair brushing and I said "I wish I could cut it off!" And she told me to do it! Yikes! So we've cut her hair! By about 4-5 inches!!!

I'm in shock!

Just cleaned up after dinner, kids bathed, lunches done, school bags ready. Possibly a bit of uniform to iron...

House looking reasonable...
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • Valli
    • By Valli 19th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 19,681 Posts
    • 224,311 Thanks
    Valli
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #16 2015 Roadkill Haul - £23.25 + 7c (Eu) + a dime (31.12.2015)
    2016 Roadkill Haul - £05.75, 10c ($) and 10c (Eu)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,812Posts Today

8,349Users online

Martin's Twitter