Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,360Posts
    • 34,045Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017 12th Mar 17 at 10:15 PM
    Its been lovely to see some de-lurkers and some newcomers; do please post even if it's just to say 'list completed'

Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Thank you Dusty for last week's thread.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondays are Marvellous!! - Kitchen and Dining Area
    Level One...

Deweb and polish
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Run WM's and DW's through a clean cycle.. don't forget to scrub out the drawers and filters.
    Level Two
    Wipe the table
    Wash the windows and sills
    Degunge the fridge
    Wash any curtains/table cloths that need it
    Level Three
    S&S the hob & oven
    Wipe the units and large appliances

Extras:
    Declutter any drawers that need a really good decluttering!!
    Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces
    Clear out a cupboard of junk!

Twinkly Tuesday - Living room, hall, stairs and porch!
    Level One

Declutter ALL the floors!!
    Clear the mantle of junk
    Level Two
    Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
    Vacuum/sweep all the floors.. stairs too!
    Vacuum/sweep under furniture you can safely move!
    Vacuum sofas
    Level Three
    Wash the windows
    Wash any soft furnishings that need it
    Wipe down ALL the paintwork!
    Extras
    • Wipe and water plants
    • Dust all the electricals.. carefully.. don't want anybody getting fried!!!
    • Wipe front door.. inside and out!
    • Binbag dance
    • HHI

Wiggly Wednesday- Master bedroom and landing!
    Level One

Strip and wash the bedding
    Air the duvet.. if nice hang it out on the line for a blow!
    Quick one.. check those smoke alarms!
    Level Two
    Clear the floordrobe
    Deweb and dust
    Empty and wash out all the bins!!
    Wash windows
    Level Three
    Sort through a hotspot
    Half hour... FILING... meanness I know
    Organise your toiletries and make-up stash, do you really need 6 lipsticks!!!!
    Sort through a cupboard.. make it neat and tidy
    Extras
    • Half hour... FILING... meanness I know but it won't do itself!!
    • Deweb and dust
    • 36 fling boogie!! .. GO
    • Empty and wash out all the bins!!
    • Quick one.. check those smoke alarms - no that doesn't mean burn the toast/bacon to check !
    • Clean out pets/wash beds

Thursday Thrills - Bathroom and Study..
    Level One

Vacuum/mop floors
    Wash towels/flannels and replace with clean ones.
    Declutter the floors
    Level Two
    Wash the windows
    Wash the bath mat and replace
    HHI
    Wipe down the tiles
    Level Three
    Dejunk the desk and wipe off the gunge
    Empty out a cupboard clean it out and put back only the bits you need to keep
    Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
    Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
    Scrub the bath, sinks, toilets, showers and tiles etc
    Extras
    • Change any lightbulb you have been leaving…
    • Collect all the laundry from upstairs
    • HHI
    • Sort out the coats and bags and shoes..
    • Do a cupboard stock take and sort a meal plan and shopping list
    • Fill a binbag for charity shop

Friday is Funky! - childrens rooms! ~ spare rooms or just attack a neglected room!!
    Level One

Strip and wash any bedding that need it
    Make half an hour appointment or you time!! you deserve it.. nails done, hair appointment.
    Level Two
    Dust and deweb the whole room
    Declutter the floor.. inc under the beds and units
    Vacuum floors
    Dust and deweb the whole room
    Wipe away sticky marks
    Level Three
    Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
    Wash windows
    Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
    Binbag dance!

Extras
    • Catch up on necessary phone calls inc making those much needed appointments
    • Ring someone you've not spoken to in a while..
    • Delete some of those old contacts and texts off your mobile phone!!
    • Meal plan for the next week and make a shopping list... based on what you found in the freezer and those things that need using from weekly cupboard sweep.
    • Extra 30 minutes ironing.. school uniforms? work clothes?
    Last edited by Natty68; 17-03-2017 at 8:30 AM.

Struggling financially
Page 5
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 16th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 6,794 Posts
    • 86,698 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Morning!

Sorry to hear about caravan BM xx
    Hi piggers xx
    No idea what else I've read, sorry

Had a few jobs this morning, cleaned conservatory, including piggie cage. They are outside for the morning. I've sorted the compost bin and given it a "stir". I've emptied the messy troughs at front of house, spurred on by leftover daffodil bulbs in the garden store that were sprouting without soil or light so I've rehomed them in said troughs. They may or may not flower now but I've nothing to lose. Troughs can also become home to the various seedlings that are on my kitchen windowsill, intended for piggie dinners, providing the bl00dy magpies don't steal them

Also made a phonecall, realised I've not had breakfast so only now had my porridge, and now I'm going to sort the WM out...

Need to pop to @ldi later and get bits ready for the fun Thursday evening of gymnastics and football.

Day off school tomorrow and no plans - might be a pj day <yawn>

Laters!
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 16th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,414 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    So I had threatened DS2 with the mum on a mission with black bags. Well he's off to work not bothered to even attempt to clean up so I've just gone in there and I've binned everything that was on the floor. Anything that he needs he'll need to go bin diving for. His bedding is now in the WM and I've hoovered the floor.
    Bathroom is sparkling and I've hoovered the stairs down to the first landing. I will bring the hoover down and do the rest.

Coffee break just now
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 16th Mar 17, 3:20 PM
    • 9,687 Posts
    • 104,529 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Karma - that's the stuff we wish on other people when they behave like sh*ts, isn't it? It sounds as though your monk needs to work on his interpersonal skills because if he upset someone who wanted to be there that's never a good thing Mrs MP.

Kelpie has been to hydrotherapy and finally, after eight months and a loss of five kilos - more than 25% of his body weight - he's off his diet! I bought him a bag of venison chews as a special treat which he thought were very acceptable.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    I have to wonder if that monk realises he's not doing his own karma "balance" a lot of good by upsetting people in that way.....

And well done to Kelpie on his weight loss - just got to eat sensibly now, to keep it off, eh?
    cap it all, our caravan was stolen from the top of our driveway last night. We didn't hear a thing, dog didn't bark.
    Originally posted by Biscuit monster
    Scumbags!! Deffo one for some form of divine retribution.

Flying definitely off-liste; been into town for a couple of errands today, but need to take it easy rest of the day as we have a Mensa meet-up tonight. I's really rather not go, but I can't wriggle out of it.

Then Friday and the weekend, we'll get to grips with cleaning again, as I have another Meet'n'Greet on Monday, a Staffie wanting a holiday.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Biscuit monster
    • By Biscuit monster 16th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 9,533 Thanks
    Biscuit monster
    Yes LW, scumbags is just what OH said. I'm feeling a bit better today, thanks all. A dog walk and a riding lesson has helped (although I wore an old pair of jodhpurs that have now gone in the bin as they rubbed and I now have a chafed bottom)
    Unfortunately FFP the caravan wasn't insured, it was quite old, and we made the decision not to, as we didn't think anyone would want to steal it. We are now kicking ourselves.

Hello to Piggers

I've only written myself a small list today, so as not to fail. Have done some laundry and ironing, rung the home insurance about caravan contents (at least they were covered), tidied up a flowerbed and the garden generally.

Now off to move the pile of doom on the dining room table x
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 16th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 20,531 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Have been reading thread but not taken much in so hugs and spoons to anyone needing them. I'm having a bit of a pity party, having managed to drive to uni for 2 days I'm now happy with the hire car but pretty frightened of being on the road in general. Hopefully that will improve. Heard just now that my car is written off, would cost far too much to repair even though we were prepared to pay to have some of it done just to keep that car. Really sad I've "killed" it; have had it since new in 2005. I know it's only a car and no people were hurt but I'm going to whimper today then pull myself together tomorrow.
    BIL up for the weekend so tomorrow will be a major big flying catch-up. One day I will catch up with the report writing too.
    At least I filled the bird feeders outside my study this morning and immediately a pair of fairies came to see me.
    Over and out.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 16th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 3,348 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Scumbags indeed BM. I'm all for divine retribution on those who mess up other's lives in this way. ((Hugs)) Narco - they aren't just cars sometimes, are they?
    Hope the meet and greet goes well next week LW.
    FFP - I'm liking your style with the binbags! Not exactly sure what I vacced up off DD's floor this morning, as I shut my eyes and sing la-la-la as I back out of her room..... To be fair it's not that bad, it's more untidy than anything.

Actually managed to do a couple of little frogs today. I was determined to leave work in time to get to the nearby small town, to sort a couple of things at the building society. Now ticked off the list, dropped a couple of cheques into the post office and managed a small shop of essentials in the Co0p there as well. Enough to get by for the weekend at least.
    Got home and cleaned the bathroom etc and vacuumed the spare oom.

It's now sooooo quiet here, as DH has gone out to meet some friends and have a pub meal, and DD has gone on a school theatre trip. She isn't getting back until silly late, so DH is going to meet her on his way home. Well, not exactly on his way home, but at least I don't have to turn out. But I'm not used to having the house to myself...and even more not used to having sole use of the tv remote!!
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 16th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 15,287 Posts
    • 195,545 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Evening all

Staffies are lovely lw, dd1 has a gorgeous blue staff my mum always had rescue staffies after we left home she took about 4 in till she felt after the last one went over the rainbow bridge she was too old to walk them enough.

Hope everyone is well and has coped with the day.
    grocery challenge August budget £400 spent £
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,700o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on the Kings curse
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 16th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,414 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Evening all x

I've just made up DS2's bed and put a lots of laundry past. I've stuck another load in the WM but it's all to be hung on the winterdyke so the TD is sleeping.
    Going to do a quick scullery S/S and stick my jammies on.

Night night everyone x
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 16th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 51,186 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all

Hugs to all especially Jazee
    What a load of b**stards Biscuit - hope it brings bad karma to them
    Please be careful wearing those mules Valli
    Great to read the good news re Kelpie and yourself HB
    Hiya pigpen - wish you were back with us - miss your posts

Well, the pad's fairly clean and tidy.
    Fridge practically empty and cleaned
    Kitchen all WUDUPA and bunkers clean
    Rubbish and recycling all out
    Cases packed
    Alarm set
    Off to sleep shortly
    'See' you all in two weeks, though I'll try to lurk a little whilst away

Donating all my guag, sticks and spoons as needed
    Take care and hope you all have a lovely couple of weeks
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1795....SEPT=189.80/150
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1337....SEPT=102.84/200
    Bulk buy.......SEPT=13.48
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....SEPT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -5/8 ......CC =840......Savings = £9250
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 17th Mar 17, 7:19 AM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 34,585 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

BM our neighbours had their caravan stolen from their drive in the middle of a Saturday afternoon when I was at home. I had been in the kitchen quite a bit which looks over the front garden and I didnt see anything. Agree - ba*t*rds.

House reasonably presentable, I have tried really hard with the flying this week and it has paid off. Lots of paid stuff today but will sneak to the gym in between.

ffp your post made me laugh. My boys are currently making huge efforts with their bedrooms now that girlfriends come to visit. Its just lovely to walk in and see it tidy and I can actually clean in there.

Right - best get ready for the day!
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 17th Mar 17, 8:07 AM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 45,663 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Have a lovely holiday Lynne! Bon Voyage and all that.

Room of doom time today. I will make it a pleasure to go in there.
    Keeping it AF
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 17th Mar 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,414 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Morning flyfriends x

Not long up, still feeling sleepy but hey-ho on with the day. Anyway WM on. I will have to get DD back today my BiL and SiL have had her 2 nights they forget she's mine and I miss her.

ffp your post made me laugh. My boys are currently making huge efforts with their bedrooms now that girlfriends come to visit. Its just lovely to walk in and see it tidy and I can actually clean in there.
    Originally posted by YORKSHIRELASS
    That's it then I need to get them girlfriends. At 20 and 18 I thought we would be past this. Although DS2 has just brought his breakfast bowl back downstairs so the death stare must be working I'm going to attempt DS1s room at the weekend. I need OH there as it's a 2 man job. To be fair it's all clothes. When he was working away rather than use a WM he just bought new clothes. He came home with a jam packed caravan of washing which I did and he's scattered everywhere. The CS is going to be pleased when I get in there with my bin bags

Off to do the dailies

ETA
    Lynne have a lovely time!
    Last edited by funfairprincess; 17-03-2017 at 8:39 AM.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 47,389 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning lovelies. Just a quick post before the paid stuff to say dailies are done and I've done the ironing.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) September £409.15 Total £8409.15/£12000

• funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 17th Mar 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,414 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Dailies done
    Washed up AND washed up again!
    Plenty WM and TD and put away
    Just need to hoover

I've had a call from the agency and have a shift on Monday and possibly an induction on Thursday for a place that will have work till Christmas just hope it pans out.

Off for a nanna nap
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 17th Mar 17, 3:16 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 14,296 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    flyfriends. Can't believe I'll be back tomorrow. I dread to think what it's going to be like. DH has been on nights while I've been away, and he's having a friend round tonight to play Zombicide.

He's obviously missed me - invited colleague to study tomorrow and off diving Sunday. At least I'll get peace and quiet to freezer audit/clean/shop

Did I see piggers passing through
    *** Debt Free***
    NST September - /18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/9/17 £2152.27/£3,500, 61.5/66.6% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • grn.w.nv
    • By grn.w.nv 17th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    grn.w.nv
    Hi all,

Still not doing this properly as had a mega week, started doing a bit of work as a TV extra which is as cool as it sounds, but also means I've been out two days this week.

Hoovered whole house
    Cleaned kitchen

Will try to get into a routine next week.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 9,687 Posts
    • 104,529 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Staffies are lovely lw, dd1 has a gorgeous blue staff my mum always had rescue staffies after we left home she took about 4 in till she felt after the last one went over the rainbow bridge she was too old to walk them enough.
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny
    I've looked after a Staffie and a Staffie Cross before; apparently not all carers will take them, when I filled in the information sheet for matching me up with potential clients, one of the questions was "Will you accept Staffies". Both Ollie and Fidget were lovely dogs, both of them as daft as ninepence so we'll see how it goes with Bluebell on Monday.

Non-Flying day; I'm too poorly to do any today. We had to attend a Mensa meet-up last night (it's an annual thing that I couldn't easily wriggle out of) and it's left me completely wiped out today. So resting today, and will try again tomorrow.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 17th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 9,270 Posts
    • 117,719 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Evening all

Busy day

Hi Piggers hope you are all well, the shoes must either be Jimmy Choo or Gina, from the discription!

Work and more work, so only daily stuff done.
    Hugs to you all
    Sun, Sea
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 17th Mar 17, 11:31 PM
    • 35,957 Posts
    • 463,524 Thanks
    pigpen
    Irregular Choice, Kaz.. Only the snazziest for me.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • skint breeder 5
    • By skint breeder 5 18th Mar 17, 8:17 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 14,227 Thanks
    skint breeder 5
    thank you for gws wishes. eye is getting there. flying on a go slow

will aim to be back later
    The cold never bothered me anyway
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,631Posts Today

6,928Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin