Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,330Posts
    • 33,649Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017 12th Mar 17 at 10:15 PM
    Its been lovely to see some de-lurkers and some newcomers; do please post even if it's just to say 'list completed'

Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Thank you Dusty for last week's thread.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondays are Marvellous!! - Kitchen and Dining Area
    Level One...

Deweb and polish
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Run WM's and DW's through a clean cycle.. don't forget to scrub out the drawers and filters.
    Level Two
    Wipe the table
    Wash the windows and sills
    Degunge the fridge
    Wash any curtains/table cloths that need it
    Level Three
    S&S the hob & oven
    Wipe the units and large appliances

Extras:
    Declutter any drawers that need a really good decluttering!!
    Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces
    Clear out a cupboard of junk!

Twinkly Tuesday - Living room, hall, stairs and porch!
    Level One

Declutter ALL the floors!!
    Clear the mantle of junk
    Level Two
    Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
    Vacuum/sweep all the floors.. stairs too!
    Vacuum/sweep under furniture you can safely move!
    Vacuum sofas
    Level Three
    Wash the windows
    Wash any soft furnishings that need it
    Wipe down ALL the paintwork!
    Extras
    • Wipe and water plants
    • Dust all the electricals.. carefully.. don't want anybody getting fried!!!
    • Wipe front door.. inside and out!
    • Binbag dance
    • HHI

Wiggly Wednesday- Master bedroom and landing!
    Level One

Strip and wash the bedding
    Air the duvet.. if nice hang it out on the line for a blow!
    Quick one.. check those smoke alarms!
    Level Two
    Clear the floordrobe
    Deweb and dust
    Empty and wash out all the bins!!
    Wash windows
    Level Three
    Sort through a hotspot
    Half hour... FILING... meanness I know
    Organise your toiletries and make-up stash, do you really need 6 lipsticks!!!!
    Sort through a cupboard.. make it neat and tidy
    Extras
    • Half hour... FILING... meanness I know but it won't do itself!!
    • Deweb and dust
    • 36 fling boogie!! .. GO
    • Empty and wash out all the bins!!
    • Quick one.. check those smoke alarms - no that doesn't mean burn the toast/bacon to check !
    • Clean out pets/wash beds

Thursday Thrills - Bathroom and Study..
    Level One

Vacuum/mop floors
    Wash towels/flannels and replace with clean ones.
    Declutter the floors
    Level Two
    Wash the windows
    Wash the bath mat and replace
    HHI
    Wipe down the tiles
    Level Three
    Dejunk the desk and wipe off the gunge
    Empty out a cupboard clean it out and put back only the bits you need to keep
    Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
    Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
    Scrub the bath, sinks, toilets, showers and tiles etc
    Extras
    • Change any lightbulb you have been leaving…
    • Collect all the laundry from upstairs
    • HHI
    • Sort out the coats and bags and shoes..
    • Do a cupboard stock take and sort a meal plan and shopping list
    • Fill a binbag for charity shop

Friday is Funky! - childrens rooms! ~ spare rooms or just attack a neglected room!!
    Level One

Strip and wash any bedding that need it
    Make half an hour appointment or you time!! you deserve it.. nails done, hair appointment.
    Level Two
    Dust and deweb the whole room
    Declutter the floor.. inc under the beds and units
    Vacuum floors
    Dust and deweb the whole room
    Wipe away sticky marks
    Level Three
    Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
    Wash windows
    Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
    Binbag dance!

Extras
    • Catch up on necessary phone calls inc making those much needed appointments
    • Ring someone you've not spoken to in a while..
    • Delete some of those old contacts and texts off your mobile phone!!
    • Meal plan for the next week and make a shopping list... based on what you found in the freezer and those things that need using from weekly cupboard sweep.
    • Extra 30 minutes ironing.. school uniforms? work clothes?
    Last edited by Natty68; 17-03-2017 at 8:30 AM.

Debt free as of 3rd May 2012
    But still struggling financially
Page 4
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 15th Mar 17, 8:35 AM
    • 2,006 Posts
    • 29,447 Thanks
    dancemum
    Bathroom and bedroom ceilings demoulded
    Windows flung open.

Just having breakfast now then I will crack on.

Glad you are feeling a little better ATB X
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 15th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 2,503 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning everyone.
    Well done Valli . Do I need to start worrying that Mrs Beeton is going to find her way out of the loft soon?
    DW emptied, WM running, iron pile cleared, living room dusted and vac'd. Off shortly for a jog thorugh the woods to see the last of the snowdrops shortly. Tbh, it will be more of a fast walk, as too many hills involved . Not helped by the gossipping as we go.
    Have to go food shopping later, and various other jobs and errands. I can't see them all getting done today, before out volunteering later.
    Have good days all.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 15th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    angelpye
    Morning all, will attempt to get as much as I can done. Quick question: How did you know I have a floordrobe?
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 15th Mar 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,413 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Morning flyfriends x

Valli congratulations although I have the fear (Piggers,mules)

Just about to make a start. DD decluttered to school, OH to work earlier and DS1 decluttered to his first day at new job half an hour ago. DS2 is off today so I will be making him clean his room, it's like steptoes back yard up there.

Right off to put some clothes on that would be a start!
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 15th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,413 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Hi all x

So far I have
    Got dressed and destroyed my wardrobe in the process looking for something
    Washed up
    Tidied the LR
    Rescued all the laundry
    3 x WM
    2 x TD
    Made bed in my room
    Sorted my wardrobe, it's lovely again!
    Put all the gibble on the dressing table past.
    Booked us on the wild flower meadow creation workshop on Saturday
    Filled the bird feeders
    Put laundry past.
    Decided we are having fish and chips for dinner tonight.

I can't do any more washing as I've run out of soap powder, I'll get some tonight when I drop DD off at dancing.

I'm going for a nap now as I'm shattered again.

Laters!
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 15th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 2,503 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Ho hum. Best laid plans and all that.
    School called. Can I pick up DD as she feels sick? Shopping and errand lists put back down, cue 25 mile round trip to pick her up. She's now back in her (newly changed) bed. Somebody somewhere knew that I was going to try to sneak in an hour at the allotment in the sunshine
    The snowdrop woods were lovely though. And we saw 2 deer. The bluebells are sprouting - I do like springtime
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 15th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 4,370 Posts
    • 44,206 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Congrats on the weightloss Ionafan. I'm disappointed to hear about the squirrel/bird feeding relationship though. Next door to us is a man we get on with fine, but who is a bit of a recluse and can be very, very tricky. He has an garden stone wall that's about 20 feet high covered in ivy which has been creeping along his roof it's so well-established. Rats, apparently, can climb ivy. There is no way to block his attic off from ours which means that if they ever decide to make it up that high .... Fortunately at the moment they're more interested in his kitchen.

We were away for a week on holiday and I asked the dog sitter to feed the birds. Then I did them for a week, then OH did them when I was under the weather. Now they've ALL disappeared - goldfinches, blackbirds and robins. I've been feeding them for years so I don't know what's happened and what to do about it.

Wonderful news for you on the job front, Valli and *healing vibes* for your colleague. I'm building my fluffy mule defenses this afternoon out of empty cereal boxes and loo roll middles.

FFP I temped for years at a time and it always felt personal when no-one wanted me *wail* but it wasn't personal. You know it isn't really; if the work doesn't come in they can't hand it out. (((Hugs))) I hope the keys turn up.

Karma - that's the stuff we wish on other people when they behave like sh*ts, isn't it? It sounds as though your monk needs to work on his interpersonal skills because if he upset someone who wanted to be there that's never a good thing Mrs MP.

Kelpie has been to hydrotherapy and finally, after eight months and a loss of five kilos - more than 25% of his body weight - he's off his diet! I bought him a bag of venison chews as a special treat which he thought were very acceptable.

Shopping done, all away, lunch scoffed (whoopsied food new to me, Kalettes sauted in butter and olive oil are absolutely scrumptious) and about to embark on more filing and putting the rest of the laundry away. Rest of the house is looking as though someone cares about it. Very satisfying.
    Keeping it AF
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 15th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    angelpye
    Ok, so I didn't stick strictly to the list but managed to wash mine and DD's bedding, dust and hoover through whole house and declutter a few things. I had all the windows though the house flung open as its a gorgeous day here so I am happy with how the house looks. Nice to know its not building up for the weekend.
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
    • Doobop
    • By Doobop 15th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    Doobop
    Not much done this week - other priorities - but DW filled, WM on and bed stripped - (time to remove the electric blanket? Lovely spring day) now for some admin.
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 15th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,413 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Got the get up and go so got up and went.
    DDs laundry put past
    Fresh bedding on and her room tidied.
    Bathroom S/S
    DS2 bossed to get his room done and threatened with me going in with the bin bags!
    OH on dancing drop off.

Off to do a scullery S/S
    • Biscuit monster
    • By Biscuit monster 15th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 9,512 Thanks
    Biscuit monster
    Evening all,

Hope you are all OK. Good news about Kelpie HB, more good news regarding job Valli.
    Fayollehope you DD is OK.
    Not much more of the thread stayed in my head!
    Things are still very upside down here with the renovations, the usable part of my kitchen is getting smaller and smaller, there is stuff literally everywhere, and it is hard to fly. BD lurking. To cap it all, our caravan was stolen from the top of our driveway last night. We didn't hear a thing, dog didn't bark.

Tomorrow will be better, and I'm turning over a mental new leaf.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 16th Mar 17, 12:23 AM
    • 35,832 Posts
    • 461,871 Thanks
    pigpen
    *polishes up some golden mules with rainbow soles and diamond encrusted heels*

*places box, beautifully gift wrapped, beside Valli's chair*

Don't ever say you're not loved! xx

I live in squalor, I am not worthy.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • Valli
    • By Valli 16th Mar 17, 6:27 AM
    • 19,886 Posts
    • 226,132 Thanks
    Valli
    *polishes up some golden mules with rainbow soles and diamond encrusted heels*

*places box, beautifully gift wrapped, beside Valli's chair*

Don't ever say you're not loved! xx

I live in squalor, I am not worthy.
    Originally posted by pigpen
    Oh yes you are. We are all worthy

Many thanks. They are appreciated xxxxxx
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debt to attack £6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 16th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 3,987 Posts
    • 46,880 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Have only skim read some of the posts so hope you're ok. Hugs where needed.

Didn't post yesterday. Awful day, no flying done.

Today is pay day so this morning I've been sorting out finances and done some shredding.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) July £335.91 Total £5835.60/£12000

• angelpye
    • By angelpye 16th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    angelpye
    Yes! Bathroom!!! I am really up for this one today! Hope you all have a great day and those who need a hug get one in RL but if not lots being sent!
    EF £0/£4200
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 16th Mar 17, 8:06 AM
    • 15,226 Posts
    • 194,622 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Really sorry not hardly been in this week, my hours have changed again so I'm doing more. Busy but next week I'll start on my new hours pattern which should last until summer, really pleased but will need to be organised if I'm going to make this work.
    Hugs good wishes and posi vibes to all who need them. I will try and catch up.
    grocery challenge June budget £400 spent £164.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,150 o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on magic of tidying up
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 16th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 32,379 Thanks
    ionafan
    Morning all.
    Big (((hugs))) Jazee. I hope today will be a better day for both of you.
    Sorry to hear about the caravan, Biscuit. to pigpen.
    No Valli, you can't wear them to work! I can just imagine the look on the head's face
    Thanks for the PM, Honey Bear. Glad you're feeling better. Congrats to Kelpie! I'll talk to DH and get back to you asap. Love the slug, btw

Still plodding on with writing piece for church - need to get it finished this morning. I went out with some of our choir members last night to a session led by the cathedral's Director of Music. We didn't do a lot of singing ourselves, but we learnt a lot about breathing and enunciation, and an excellent young bass was the guinea pig for a short masterclass - and all washed down with a glass of wine. Minimum driving: we went on the train so that we could have a good natter

Today is grey and damp. DH has taken down almost all the bird feeders, leaving just one squirrel-proof one and a little one with a domed cover which he is filling with mealworms for the tits and robins, with the approval of our NDNs. I have just chased two squirrels off our roof just outside the bedroom window (we live in a chalet bungalow) - no doubt they will keep coming back.

The "spring" is still flooding the lane at the back of our house. I did ring the water board to report it, but they are waiting for approval from the council to dig up the road. Since the county boundary runs down the middle of the lane, that might mean two councils being involved. I keep thinking of how lucky we are in this country compared to the people in the drought-stricken areas that we are seeing on the TV news

My to-do list for today:
    - S&S kitchen
    - finish piece of writing
    - put away books and file papers in the study bedroom
    - put away washing that is currently draped around bathroom radiator to air
    - clean bathroom
    - clean ensuite
    - clean workmen's loo
    - take DH to garden centre for a free and use 10% off voucher on plug plants for hanging pots/baskets to go on the bird feeder "tree"
    - out to a meeting this evening.

DH has just surfaced and will hopefully go and get breakfast for us both very soon. See you later x
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 16th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,413 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Morning flyfriends x

Piggers
    BiscuitMonster that's horrible I hope you're trailer is insured. I'm 'lucky' that we have only a 1inch gap on our drive when taking the trailer out.. Its the building on one side and a 6ft wall on the other it takes 4 men to move ours out of it. It's the caravan sites that scare me, there are always getting stolen from there. I can't get insurance as our vans is too old. I hope they catch them.

I'm up but not quite awake yet, WM is on, OH kicked out to work, DS1 is an 11am start all week and DS2 starts at 2pm so I'll wake them shortly. DD stayed at my SiLs last night so it's very quiet here this morning.

Going to sup this coffee and try to feel human again, then I will make a start.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 16th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    • 4,370 Posts
    • 44,206 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    (((Hugs))) Jazee.

So sorry to hear about your caravan BM and that the BD is lurking. If you can get outside to get a bit of light and fresh air it might, just might, help but I know how busy you are. (((Hugs)))

I'd say quite a few of us live in squalor, Piggers. It's certainly why I'm here and if those mules get chucked anywhere near here they'll just go on the gibble pile with all of the other pairs of shoes I don't know what to do with. Seriously. I have two neat lines of shoes I can't seem to let go but seldom wear and a pair of mules would just complete the set. You're missed, Oh Worthy One. Please come back.

Thought you might like the slug, Ionafan. For those who love their gardens and hate slugs, this is Matt Harvey, a lovely lovely man from Totnes who writes the most wonderful poetry and even better, performs it regularly.

The house smells of Ginger Twinks and Triple Choc Cookies. OH is due home later and he put 'Bix' on the shopping list so there will be some for him for looking after me when I wasn't well.

Other than that, the shower room and bathroom need drubbing so I suppose I better deal with them while I wait in for the scrapstore to collect the carpet and a delivery.
    Keeping it AF
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 16th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,413 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Hi all x
    Having a caffeine break

So far. .
    Got washed and dressed
    Beds made
    WM giving it big licks ditto the TD
    Scullery S/S
    Bathroom emptied of gibble ready to be cleaned
    DS1 chucked out to work

Still to do
    Clean bathroom
    Sort the coats and shoes in the hall
    Hoover
    Kick DS2 out to work

I'll finish my coffee and then get on
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,113Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin