Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,313Posts
    • 33,420Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017 12th Mar 17 at 10:15 PM
    Its been lovely to see some de-lurkers and some newcomers; do please post even if it's just to say 'list completed'

Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Thank you Dusty for last week's thread.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondays are Marvellous!! - Kitchen and Dining Area
    Level One...

Deweb and polish
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Run WM's and DW's through a clean cycle.. don't forget to scrub out the drawers and filters.
    Level Two
    Wipe the table
    Wash the windows and sills
    Degunge the fridge
    Wash any curtains/table cloths that need it
    Level Three
    S&S the hob & oven
    Wipe the units and large appliances

Extras:
    Declutter any drawers that need a really good decluttering!!
    Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces
    Clear out a cupboard of junk!

Twinkly Tuesday - Living room, hall, stairs and porch!
    Level One

Declutter ALL the floors!!
    Clear the mantle of junk
    Level Two
    Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
    Vacuum/sweep all the floors.. stairs too!
    Vacuum/sweep under furniture you can safely move!
    Vacuum sofas
    Level Three
    Wash the windows
    Wash any soft furnishings that need it
    Wipe down ALL the paintwork!
    Extras
    • Wipe and water plants
    • Dust all the electricals.. carefully.. don't want anybody getting fried!!!
    • Wipe front door.. inside and out!
    • Binbag dance
    • HHI

Wiggly Wednesday- Master bedroom and landing!
    Level One

Strip and wash the bedding
    Air the duvet.. if nice hang it out on the line for a blow!
    Quick one.. check those smoke alarms!
    Level Two
    Clear the floordrobe
    Deweb and dust
    Empty and wash out all the bins!!
    Wash windows
    Level Three
    Sort through a hotspot
    Half hour... FILING... meanness I know
    Organise your toiletries and make-up stash, do you really need 6 lipsticks!!!!
    Sort through a cupboard.. make it neat and tidy
    Extras
    • Half hour... FILING... meanness I know but it won't do itself!!
    • Deweb and dust
    • 36 fling boogie!! .. GO
    • Empty and wash out all the bins!!
    • Quick one.. check those smoke alarms - no that doesn't mean burn the toast/bacon to check !
    • Clean out pets/wash beds

Thursday Thrills - Bathroom and Study..
    Level One

Vacuum/mop floors
    Wash towels/flannels and replace with clean ones.
    Declutter the floors
    Level Two
    Wash the windows
    Wash the bath mat and replace
    HHI
    Wipe down the tiles
    Level Three
    Dejunk the desk and wipe off the gunge
    Empty out a cupboard clean it out and put back only the bits you need to keep
    Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
    Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
    Scrub the bath, sinks, toilets, showers and tiles etc
    Extras
    • Change any lightbulb you have been leaving…
    • Collect all the laundry from upstairs
    • HHI
    • Sort out the coats and bags and shoes..
    • Do a cupboard stock take and sort a meal plan and shopping list
    • Fill a binbag for charity shop

Friday is Funky! - childrens rooms! ~ spare rooms or just attack a neglected room!!
    Level One

Strip and wash any bedding that need it
    Make half an hour appointment or you time!! you deserve it.. nails done, hair appointment.
    Level Two
    Dust and deweb the whole room
    Declutter the floor.. inc under the beds and units
    Vacuum floors
    Dust and deweb the whole room
    Wipe away sticky marks
    Level Three
    Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
    Wash windows
    Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
    Binbag dance!

Extras
    • Catch up on necessary phone calls inc making those much needed appointments
    • Ring someone you've not spoken to in a while..
    • Delete some of those old contacts and texts off your mobile phone!!
    • Meal plan for the next week and make a shopping list... based on what you found in the freezer and those things that need using from weekly cupboard sweep.
    • Extra 30 minutes ironing.. school uniforms? work clothes?
    Last edited by Natty68; 17-03-2017 at 8:30 AM.

Debt free as of 3rd May 2012
    But still struggling financially
Page 3
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 14th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 33,420 Thanks
    Natty68
    Sorry for the late posting of today's list... But it is there now, oh and I have changed Dusty's name to Valli's

Managed to convince DH that he is to stay off till next week...stupid man wanted to go back to work on Wednesday.. Oh no he doesn't.. So I told him he can go back next week unless he is in hospital with a drip then he has to have more time off, but they will give him a sick certificate then so he won't have to worry. My hoover is in permanent use in the living room at the moment, it looks like he has perpetual dandruff but on the skin instead...nice piles of ick (skin!) on the floor... Poor lamb can't understand why he feels so well but he can't do anything..thankfully we are on ibruprofen for the pain which is starting to help him stand up now. But the swelling is still there with a mad vegenance..as well as the rash. Although it isn't really a rash it's more like a very badly sunburnt skin that hasn't quite got there.. Poor thing it is driving me mad too..I even went out to my "sisters" yesterday for a few hours so it gave him some time on his own. I think he appreciated it..

I am putting him out in the garden today, in a deckchair with his tablet so he can peruse the internet etc..or even watch something on Sky Sports. |The sun should help his skin which I am hoping will start to look like it is healing very soon.. Even if the swelling starts to go down that's a bonus. AAAAHHH blooming horrible cellulitis.. Hopefully this will teach him not to leave it next time so it gets infected.

Heather, the cleaner, is coming around later this morning so that is someone new for him to talk to. I am going to throw myself into cleaning the kitchen, while she is here - well that is the plan we will see if my virus lets me though...lol

Hugs and love to everyone that needs them

Debt free as of 3rd May 2012
    But still struggling financially
    • Duckydo
    • By Duckydo 14th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    Duckydo
    Morning all,
    A woot woot to Valli, and gws vibes to you Natty and DH.

S&s'd bathroom and kitchen, put away dry washing (can't wait til I have a washing line outside again!), and hoovered downstairs. Time to think about getting ready for DD signing class, pre op, and play date with friends. Hopefully will get some flying done this afternoon.
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 14th Mar 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,974 Posts
    • 29,072 Thanks
    dancemum
    Well done Valli X

Get well soon Natty and DH X

I always clean my bath and surround before getting out. This morning I slipped whilst cleaning it, I put my hands out to save myself but they slipped too and I landed on a boob.

Off to fly at parents' home then to help friend with forms. Back later.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 43,437 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Ouch Dancemum.

*Healing vibes* for Natty's Dave. It doesn't sound as though he's fit to go back to work at all!

Lovely to see you posting again Skint, but it sounds as though you have a huge amount on your plate at the moment. (((Hugs)))

It's drizzling which is maddening but I can finish the last of the drying off in the kitchen or TD today and then do filing.

I want my office back under control. The scrapstore is coming by on Thursday to take the two carpets and underlay removed from the downstairs rooms, so that'll help. I had no idea the scrapstore would be interested in the carpet, but clever OH rang and asked them if they wanted it and got a resounding "Yes!" So it's not going to landfill as I feared. Hurrah!
    Keeping it AF
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 14th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,625 Thanks
    angelpye
    Hi all, really pleased it living room! I was thinking mine could do with a source up!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: 2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF 0/4200
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 14th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 15,203 Posts
    • 194,369 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Sorry not been in but sooo busy!
    Meditation last night was interesting took dd2 along with us. Monk in charge of the lesson upset my friend to the degree she almost walked out and DD gave him a good grilling after about a few things he'd said during the lesson. It was mainly about karma from previous lives being responsible for the pain suffering and ill fortune you get in this one.
    My perception of karma is what goes around comes around and we should all be as good honest and kind to those we share this planet with but it's got to be a pretty twisted god that doesn't let you start which a clean slate and let you suffer in this life for something that's happened several lifetimes ago which your current self had no control over.rant over

So far have got ds1 Drs appt for later today
    Had a phone call from work which makes me want to scream whooty whoot at the top of my lungs but have been sworn to secrecy until it's all in place.
    Got a morning off so am going to do the ironing as it's built up quite badly and I need to be seen to be on top of everything for my plan to fall into place uncontested

Hugs good wishes and posi vibes to all and I hope that the current health worries and problems faced by many will ease very soon
    grocery challenge may budget 400 spent 297.35
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 2,150 o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on Philomena
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 14th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 31,812 Thanks
    ionafan
    Morning all.

Well done Valli
    Yeowww dancemum
    GWS Natty and DH

I have completed Level 1 this morning. No time to do any more flying.
    I did also declutter another half pound at SW this week, though. Working my way down slowly!

R*nt*k*l man says next door has squirrels - apparently they lift the bottom tile and chew through the membrane, so no house is safe. He has advised us not to feed the garden birds, as this attractes vermin. I knew that, but DH will not be happy, especially as he has just spent on more bird food. Oh dear, it won't be pleasant telling him and coping with the mood that his will bring on...

Must get on with writing... See you all tomorrow x
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 14th Mar 17, 10:10 AM
    • 6,660 Posts
    • 84,336 Thanks
    bossymoo
    ATB scarlet fever is doing the rounds in our infant section of school. Just look after yourself xx

I'm doing the money shuffle this morning!

Washed towels out blowing now. Pigs out also. They are both looking slimmer - fresh air must be doing the little chubbies some good! I'm planning a walk for me today too!
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 14th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 34,272 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Morning flyfriends x

Valli well done x
    Dancemum hope you're OK sounds like a sore one.
    Natty I hope Dave is doing a bit better.
    honeybear huge hugs honey xxxx hope you feel better soon xx

Right I'm on a mission, since the agency has no work for me again I try not to take it personally but I do a bit.
    I'm about to make a start on the list and hopefully find DS1s car keys that he's lost in the house somewhere! I have a key box in the scullery so that these things don't happen!

Off to get a list x
    Last edited by funfairprincess; 14-03-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    GC March 316.44!/500 April 92.58 /400

April penny-pinching challenge member #3 - 32 points
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 9,404 Posts
    • 101,483 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Natty it doesn't sound to me as though Dave should be anywhere near work for the time being. GWS wishes for him; it sounds truly horrible. x

GWS wishes for ATB too. In that situation I think I'd be hitting the calamine lotion!
    Meditation last night was interesting took dd2 along with us. Monk in charge of the lesson upset my friend to the degree she almost walked out and DD gave him a good grilling after about a few things he'd said during the lesson. It was mainly about karma from previous lives being responsible for the pain suffering and ill fortune you get in this one.
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny
    Oh dear; I've always half-jokingly said that I must've been an axe-murderer or something in a previous life. Maybe I really was an axe-murderer. Channeling Lizzie Borden, maybe?

Mr LW has just returned from the fang farrier - just an inspect and polish, hooray, and another appt for 6 months' time.

He's now decided to clean shoes. Mine as well as his.

I got a free bottle of washing up liquid in the post; I have to test it and do an online evaluation; but hey, it's free WUL - what's not to like? Downside is I'm supposed to do all the washing up myself for four weeks. We've decided Mr LW will still help with it if there's a lot or if we're in the situation that he can start washing up while I'm busy with the "dirtying of utensils" still; but I'll run the water and dose it with WUL.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 14th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 19,754 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    A bit of pick'n'mix today:
    - drove 'space ship' to zumba
    - one load washing hung out
    -wudupa
    - cleared majority of kitchen surfaces and put stuff where it ought to live
    - wiped kitchen surfaces and appliances
    - emptied kitchen compost
    - cleared out old, and made new, floating flower arrangement for lounge
    - swept and mopped kitchen floor
    - started another report
    - emailed uni to let them know my car doesn't match my electronic parking permit
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 14th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 9,159 Posts
    • 116,516 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Long drive done
    Weather nice a bit misty out to sea
    Dailt stuff done
    Ironing baskets empty

Valli well done
    Sun, Sea
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 14th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 15,203 Posts
    • 194,369 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    I often joke I must have done something bad in a former life when things don't go quite according to plan

Oh dear; I've always half-jokingly said that I must've been an axe-murderer or something in a previous life. Maybe I really was an axe-murderer. Channeling Lizzie Borden, maybe?
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    I think he upset quite a few people lw, we Pay to go to the meditation and each week it takes a theme-This weeks was patience
    There have been extra day and half day courses on karma but this week maybe it's because we are nearing the end of the course and he was touting for business on other courses they run he started bringing other thingslike the names of the various different Buddhas that preside over different things and the karma aspect. He used killing greenfly on your roses as an example of how you create bad karma 'as killing anything is wrong' after the class dd2 whose vegan asked if he was veggie or vegan he said that was a personal choice and didn't come into it some Buddhists were others eat meat. It just seemed more than a bit harsh and judgemental on those in the class who have suffered ill health loss and other problems
    TBH
    I'm too busy trying to be the best I can in This life without worrying if I hurt or upset someone in a previous incarnation
    Last edited by mrs-moneypenny; 14-03-2017 at 4:36 PM.
    grocery challenge may budget 400 spent 297.35
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 2,150 o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on Philomena
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • Amzwoody
    • By Amzwoody 14th Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Amzwoody
    Hi all, list completed yesterday and today. Rooms looking much better ✅, fingers crossed �� I can keep it up ����
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 14th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 34,272 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Hi all x

Managed quite a bit of the list and found DS1s car keys. Ended up getting Oh to lift the couch and shake it and they fell out!
    Dinner done and decluttered, DD and I are now watching still game and stuffing our faces with popcorn.

If its deleted it's completed!

Mondays are Marvellous!! - Kitchen and Dining Area
    Level One...
    mop the floor

Level Two

Level Three
    S&S the oven
    Wipe the units and large appliances

Extras:
    Declutter any drawers that need a really good decluttering!!

Clear out a cupboard of junk!

Twinkly Tuesday - Living room, hall, stairs and porch!
    Level One

Level Two
    Vacuum stairs

Level Three
    Wash the windows
    Wipe down ALL the paintwork!

Extras
    Wipe front door.. inside and out!
    Binbag dance
    HHI
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    GC March 316.44!/500 April 92.58 /400

April penny-pinching challenge member #3 - 32 points
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 14th Mar 17, 9:38 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Evening all.
    I've read everything, but nothing has stayed in. Apart from GWS wishes for Natty's Dave and ATB.

I was a bit off list - or ahead of myself, which is how I like to see it - as I stripped the bed this morning before work. WM run when I got home, and bedding hung up to dry, mattress and floor vacuumed. Dinner done and kitchen put to bed. A couple of money swaps done, and a load of old emails deleted, which I think might just count as filing. Sore eyes from looking at a computer screen all day and again this evening, so I'm about to have a cuppa and call it a day. X
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 14th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 33,546 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Get well vibes for the Natty household. And atb I used to get a tiny bit of eczema on my hands and it drove me mad. Hugs both.

Productive day, up early to swish around LR, empty DW, make chilli and off to work. Straight from job no. 1 to job no. 2 then off to my gym class. DS picked up from gfs and kitchen tidied. Bedtime soon.

Glad its our bedroom tomorrow. Will try and get an hour in between jobs and gym. Liked the last sentence of your post MrsMP, I agree that there is enough to deal with in the here and now.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 14th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    • 19,786 Posts
    • 225,231 Thanks
    Valli
    every cloud...

Jobshare signed off until Easter. Bank account will benefit; the mansion (chortle) will suffer. For I am to step up...

I shall still boss you lot about a la piggers though.

*goes to dust off fluffy mules*
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debt to attack 6150.87 24/04/2017
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 15th Mar 17, 6:50 AM
    • 2,091 Posts
    • 11,930 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all

Thank you for the kind wishes. The hives have cleared up significantly, still coughing like a good 'un so going to take it easy (ish) today. I have a lot to do, but will pace myself rather than running round like a loon.

So far, DW unloaded and wet washing hung on airer. Will shove some clothes on in a minute (yesterday's leggings and shirt ) and put the clean washing away and feed kiddies.

I need to go to the post office and charity shop at some point too. Oh, and order a new stairs carpet. And clean that blimmin' fire again

Have fab days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 29.4.17 - 128,990
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 15th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    • 9,159 Posts
    • 116,516 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Lunch sorted
    Other work related stuff sorted ready for late on
    Daily stuff done
    Sun, Sea
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,738Posts Today

8,448Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin