Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,330Posts
    • 33,648Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 13 March 2017 12th Mar 17 at 10:15 PM
    Its been lovely to see some de-lurkers and some newcomers; do please post even if it's just to say 'list completed'

Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Thank you Dusty for last week's thread.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondays are Marvellous!! - Kitchen and Dining Area
    Level One...

Deweb and polish
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Run WM's and DW's through a clean cycle.. don't forget to scrub out the drawers and filters.
    Level Two
    Wipe the table
    Wash the windows and sills
    Degunge the fridge
    Wash any curtains/table cloths that need it
    Level Three
    S&S the hob & oven
    Wipe the units and large appliances

Extras:
    Declutter any drawers that need a really good decluttering!!
    Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces
    Clear out a cupboard of junk!

Twinkly Tuesday - Living room, hall, stairs and porch!
    Level One

Declutter ALL the floors!!
    Clear the mantle of junk
    Level Two
    Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
    Vacuum/sweep all the floors.. stairs too!
    Vacuum/sweep under furniture you can safely move!
    Vacuum sofas
    Level Three
    Wash the windows
    Wash any soft furnishings that need it
    Wipe down ALL the paintwork!
    Extras
    • Wipe and water plants
    • Dust all the electricals.. carefully.. don't want anybody getting fried!!!
    • Wipe front door.. inside and out!
    • Binbag dance
    • HHI

Wiggly Wednesday- Master bedroom and landing!
    Level One

Strip and wash the bedding
    Air the duvet.. if nice hang it out on the line for a blow!
    Quick one.. check those smoke alarms!
    Level Two
    Clear the floordrobe
    Deweb and dust
    Empty and wash out all the bins!!
    Wash windows
    Level Three
    Sort through a hotspot
    Half hour... FILING... meanness I know
    Organise your toiletries and make-up stash, do you really need 6 lipsticks!!!!
    Sort through a cupboard.. make it neat and tidy
    Extras
    • Half hour... FILING... meanness I know but it won't do itself!!
    • Deweb and dust
    • 36 fling boogie!! .. GO
    • Empty and wash out all the bins!!
    • Quick one.. check those smoke alarms - no that doesn't mean burn the toast/bacon to check !
    • Clean out pets/wash beds

Thursday Thrills - Bathroom and Study..
    Level One

Vacuum/mop floors
    Wash towels/flannels and replace with clean ones.
    Declutter the floors
    Level Two
    Wash the windows
    Wash the bath mat and replace
    HHI
    Wipe down the tiles
    Level Three
    Dejunk the desk and wipe off the gunge
    Empty out a cupboard clean it out and put back only the bits you need to keep
    Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
    Defrag the pc and delete 50 useless emails
    Scrub the bath, sinks, toilets, showers and tiles etc
    Extras
    • Change any lightbulb you have been leaving…
    • Collect all the laundry from upstairs
    • HHI
    • Sort out the coats and bags and shoes..
    • Do a cupboard stock take and sort a meal plan and shopping list
    • Fill a binbag for charity shop

Friday is Funky! - childrens rooms! ~ spare rooms or just attack a neglected room!!
    Level One

Strip and wash any bedding that need it
    Make half an hour appointment or you time!! you deserve it.. nails done, hair appointment.
    Level Two
    Dust and deweb the whole room
    Declutter the floor.. inc under the beds and units
    Vacuum floors
    Dust and deweb the whole room
    Wipe away sticky marks
    Level Three
    Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
    Wash windows
    Straighten up a chest of drawers or wardrobe
    Binbag dance!

Extras
    • Catch up on necessary phone calls inc making those much needed appointments
    • Ring someone you've not spoken to in a while..
    • Delete some of those old contacts and texts off your mobile phone!!
    • Meal plan for the next week and make a shopping list... based on what you found in the freezer and those things that need using from weekly cupboard sweep.
    • Extra 30 minutes ironing.. school uniforms? work clothes?
    Last edited by Natty68; 17-03-2017 at 8:30 AM.

Debt free as of 3rd May 2012
    But still struggling financially
Page 2
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 13th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 2,490 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Quick update so far...
    Level One...
    Deweb and polish
    Sweep and mop the floor - will do later when DD wakes up.
    Run WM's and DW's through a clean cycle.. don't forget to scrub out the drawers and filters.
    Level Two
    Wipe the table
    Wash the windows and sills
    Degunge the fridge
    Wash any curtains/table cloths that need it
    Level Three
    S&S the hob & oven
    Wipe the units and large appliances
    Extras:
    Declutter any drawers that need a really good decluttering!! - I've looked at it, then shut it again....might have to do it next.
    Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces
    Clear out a cupboard of junk! - too many to choose from, will think about it over coffee.

WM x2 run and hung on line. HHI done. Toilets S&Sd. Muddy riding gear cleaned up and sorted.

Bossy - thinking of you. X
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 13th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 32,350 Thanks
    ionafan
    Quick update: all flying completed by 9.30 with the addition of WMx1. Work started on one piece of writing.

NDN has just been round to say that they think they've got a squirrel in their under-the-eaves loft (a whole packet of the grandchildren's playdough has been eaten, though the wrappings were left behind) and the R*nt*k*l man is coming round tomorrow morning. I've asked her to send him round to check our loft too. I don't like uninvited visitors.

I hope you get your phonecall soon, Bossy, and that it puts your mind at rest.
    Hope the Dr can solve the mystery of your rash, ATB.

Back to work...
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 13th Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 38,875 Thanks
    Mumof2
    There you go - took the list into the kitchen, started on the hob and ping an email came in and more work has arrived that I need to get done. DH is taking over so not all bad news but I did try to do it myself!!

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Mar 17, 12:16 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 44,115 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Thank you for your GWS vibes last week. I'm up and about again, but still feeling feeble, but I'm not sure any more if it's the virus or emotional. Either way, I'm taking life a bit slower this week.

Having said that, WM x3 so far and I've another couple of loads to run through, I've finally washed the kitchen floor which has been needing it for a month and sucked the bedroom carpet which is knee deep in moulting dog hair. Catching up on paperwork now.

I hope the phone call is helpful and not worrying, Bossy. (((Hugs)))

*Healing vibes* to everyone feeling under the weather, especially Natty's Dave, ATB and Skinty.

I can't remember who it was whose dog is getting worried by visitors - please can you talk to your vet about this? They may be willing to do a telephone consult initially if bringing the dog in would stress it even more to begin with and that could be helpful. When any of my rescue dogs get upset the vets then always want to rule out anything physical so it usually involves taking them in, but there are things that they would consider behavioural that I forget about every time. As a last resort there are always calming chemicals, and Kelpie still occasionally needs them - he has a DAP collar and a puffer sort of thing that plugs into a socket near his bed which he finds very, very comforting when he's struggling to cope. After nearly two years he still goes through stressed times, and with rescue dogs we have absolutely no way to know what they've been through which triggers disruptive behaviour. Most vets can recommend behavioural therapists who could point you in the right direction, as well.
    Keeping it AF
    • babes21
    • By babes21 13th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    babes21
    Hi everyone , huge hugs to those who need it.

I'm in this week too please, well for as much as possible. I'm now overdue with my first baby so the little one is due to make an appearance any day now, maybe a good house clean will get things going.

Will come back with what I manage to achieve a little later.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 13th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 6,683 Posts
    • 85,318 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Glad you're on the mend HB xx

Doc has called. Just repeated what the lady at the scan told me <rollseyes>. They'll send me another appointment for a re-scan but not to worry as it looked like a simple one. Feel like I can get on with my day now... Might suggest they warn there might be a follow up call, so as not to unduly worry people.

Ah well.

Will go get the vac out then!
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 13th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    angelpye
    Hi, when you do the clean cycle for WM do you put anything in it? Like detergent? May thanks
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 102,146 Thanks
    LameWolf
    GWS vibes for all who need them' sounds like some scary stuff going on in Fly-land!

Mr LW and I cracked on and pretty much cleaned the whole place during the course of the weekend. No we haven't gone looney-tunes, we had the man from the Council come for an inspection visit for our annual license to board dogs this morning. No problems, and he was suitably impressed to see my shiny new certificate, having completed the First Aid for Dogs course.

I'm glad to have got ahead, as it's a bit of a busy week this week; Mr LW has to visit the fang farrier tomorrow afternoon; Thursday evening we have a Mensa meet-up to attend (I'd honestly sooner not go, but it's something I can't wriggle out of) and Friday the car is due for a service.

I've emptied the laundry bin and done 3 x WM loads - Mr LW's clothes, my clothes, and a towels'n'hankies hot wash, as it's good drying conditions today.

I'm exhausted after talking to the council chap (just nerves, but it does tire me out) - ended up with him showing me pics of his one-year-old Cockapoo.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Amzwoody
    • By Amzwoody 13th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Amzwoody
    Hi all I'm in, really gonna try and get on top of things 👍. Quick question when you run a wm self clean do you put any laundry detergent in it ???
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 13th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 6,683 Posts
    • 85,318 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Hi, when you do the clean cycle for WM do you put anything in it? Like detergent? May thanks
    Originally posted by angelpye
    Hi all I'm in, really gonna try and get on top of things 👍. Quick question when you run a wm self clean do you put any laundry detergent in it ???
    Originally posted by Amzwoody
    I don't usually, I want the wash to clear gunk away so tend to go with white vinegar or even a bit of bleach if I'm feeling grubby
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 44,115 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Might suggest they warn there might be a follow up call, so as not to unduly worry people.
    Originally posted by bossymoo
    Thanks Bossy. I think you should mention it to them. Anyone would be worried by that message and it festering all over the weekend for no good reason isn't really the effect they're after, is it?

Originally posted by angelpye
    Originally posted by Amzwoody
    I put it on the hottest possible wash, and turn the spin dry speed to zero before I run it completely empty. As Bossy says, a good glug of vinegar or bleach can be added if the machine's smelly or gunky, but generally a thorough swish with extremely hot water should be enough to clean its pipes out.

Fifth WM load in there at the moment, most of the lighter stuff will go in the TD later because I just don't have enough line space for it all.
    Keeping it AF
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 13th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 13,195 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Phew, it's just hives linked to the cold/cough I have. Feeling better about it now!

Off to bring DD bedding in and clean out the fire xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 5.6.17 - £123,900
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Duckydo
    • By Duckydo 13th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    Duckydo
    Evening all,
    Very productive day, got EVERYTHING on the list done! Completely emptied the dresser and polished, and took forever to clean the windows as they hadn't been done properly since we had the kitchen redone

Shopping list for tomorrow done, need to use up some bits in the freezer ready to make room for premade meals for when I have an op in a couple of weeks time.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 13th Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 20,075 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Glad some of the health problems seem to be clearing up/not serious. Well done for lots of people finishing the list.
    I've had a very emotional day after a bad night; old car collected, hire car delivered. It has a console that would do justice to a trip to the moon - I'm usually a fairly gadget-loving techie sort of person but it is very daunting in a car. Drove to see MIL then to Tesco very cautiously. It's especially awkward outside our house as they are still digging up the road putting in cable so it's a hazard as we're currently in between traffic lights. Wasn't confident enough to back into drive like I usually do so pulled in frontwards which doubtless I will regret tomorrow.

One load through DW and put away.
    One report finished.
    New work list written.
    More email sorting.
    Lots of gardening done by Mr N.
    Larder replenished.
    Sorry that's it for today. Will try harder tomorrow.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 13th Mar 17, 8:51 PM
    • 4,219 Posts
    • 33,918 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS

I can't remember who it was whose dog is getting worried by visitors - please can you talk to your vet about this? They may be willing to do a telephone consult initially if bringing the dog in would stress it even more to begin with and that could be helpful. When any of my rescue dogs get upset the vets then always want to rule out anything physical so it usually involves taking them in, but there are things that they would consider behavioural that I forget about every time. As a last resort there are always calming chemicals, and Kelpie still occasionally needs them - he has a DAP collar and a puffer sort of thing that plugs into a socket near his bed which he finds very, very comforting when he's struggling to cope. After nearly two years he still goes through stressed times, and with rescue dogs we have absolutely no way to know what they've been through which triggers disruptive behaviour. Most vets can recommend behavioural therapists who could point you in the right direction, as well.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    Thanks HB. It was me. We rescued our dog 4 years ago, he had been badly treated. To begin with he was terrified of visitors and we did a lot of work with a behaviorist. We got to the point where he was OK if visitors came in and they sat quietly. However if anyone (including family) makes sudden movements, play fights, shouts or cries he will rush in. He bit my eldest son quite badly once. The behavourist said that these problems are so deep rooted that we may just never be able to complete resolve them.

The problem is that the kids are now at an age where we seem to be having a lot of friends in and out. We live rurally so it was easier to manage when they were younger and visits were just organised play dates. Now they make their own arrangements which is fine. However, the dog used to settle quite well in his crate but lately he has started whining and barking and generally becoming agitated.

We cant limit visitors, I want the boys to have their friends around. Equally we cant reliably expect teenagers to never rush about and be silly. We have learnt this lesson the hard way unfortunately.

I just dont know what to do.

Anyone, sorry for hijacking the thread. Bit worried about Bossy, hope all is OK x
    • Valli
    • By Valli 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 19,879 Posts
    • 226,064 Thanks
    Valli
    Got my 1.5 stone sticker. Half a pound to go (half! So close! Aargh!) to 10% of my starting weight LOST
    WU!
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debt to attack £6150.87 24/04/2017 £5584.11 22/06/2017
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 44,115 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    (((Hugs))) YL. I think it still might be worthwhile talking it through with a vet because something's changed and that's always worth investigating.

Huge congratulations, Valli and even a Wooty Woot Woot Woot, as you would say!

House looking a bit more shipshape than it did this morning. Good.
    Keeping it AF
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 13th Mar 17, 11:18 PM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 49,571 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all and welcome AMZ

Pleased the news was good Bossy and ATB
    Great to read you feeling a bit better HB
    Well done Valli on the weight loss and hope 10% arrives soon
    Sending calming vibes LW for your busy week

Dusted all through, top to bottom
    Have finished sorting the hall cupboard and it looks great
    Front porch all emptied, swept, washed and put back tidily
    Have dragged out the cases and sorted contents (stuff always take)

Mondays are Marvellous!! - Kitchen and Dining Area
    Degunge the fridge
    Extras:
    Declutter any drawers that need a really good decluttering!!
    Clear out a cupboard of junk!

Hugs, gws vibes, sticks and spoons if you're needing some
    Hope you all have a lovely Tuesday
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1283....JULY=111.03/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1042....JULY=83.63/200
    Bulk buy.......JULY=10.33
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=103....JULY=15/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=414.96
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =370......Savings = £8300
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 14th Mar 17, 6:50 AM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 13,195 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Well done Valli!

Rubbish nights sleep here - constantly itching interspersed with coughing my guts up. The hives have spread - doctor said it could get worse before it gets better - so literally all of me from waist up is covered now

So far I've loaded the DW and done some financials. DH now away until Thursday PM. Will shove the vacuum round this morning and clean the fire.

Have lovely days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 5.6.17 - £123,900
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Mar 17, 7:04 AM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 46,852 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Welcome newbies, well done Valli and hope poorlies feel better soon.

As usual me and the dogs are fed, so I'll wash the dishes, then make a start on cleaning the bedroom this morning as well as the dailies.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) July £335.91 Total £5835.60/£12000

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

241Posts Today

1,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin