Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FIRSTTIMER
    • By FIRSTTIMER 12th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 248Posts
    • 50Thanks
    FIRSTTIMER
    First Time Buyer - Wheres best to buy stuff to kit out the new home?
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    First Time Buyer - Wheres best to buy stuff to kit out the new home? 12th Mar 17 at 9:25 PM
    Without going straight to IKEA!

I have budgeted 2500 for

- fridge
    - washer
    - dryer
    - sofa
    - bed/mattress

I have most other things that I've bought this last year....
    Savings £17500
Page 2
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 13th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 3,385 Posts
    • 11,061 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Surely this all depends on your taste. When I bought my house people assumed I would be spending lots of time in Ikea. Not my style, thanks.

I've got good second hand pieces from the local BHF shop. Got a new fridge from Currys as they delivered at weekends; unless you can work from home it gets annoying very quickly having to use annual leave for house stuff.

If your budget is tight I would prioritise a decent mattress and get a second hand sofa which you can customise with a throw.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • stardust09
    • By stardust09 13th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    stardust09
    And don't forget to go through Quidco for some valuable cash back on pricier items!!!
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 13th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,007 Posts
    • 2,463 Thanks
    chelseablue
    We needed a fridge freezer after we moved into our house.

Got it from ao.com and must say they were very good
    Baby Boy born May 2014

Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,078
    • hannh
    • By hannh 13th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    hannh
    We have bought quite a lot from Home sense/TK Maxx and have tried to get good quality stuff to last - they have good prices on kitchen wear and bedding
    • neilio
    • By neilio 13th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    neilio
    Dwell isn't too expensive for furniture. Their pieces are quite nice and your home won't look like a generic Ikea showroom like your mates'!
    • rjw4
    • By rjw4 13th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    rjw4
    AO or Argos (but mainly Ikea!!)
    • cashbackproblems
    • By cashbackproblems 13th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    cashbackproblems
    can anyone recommend modern furniture like you see in show homes at new builds at a reasonable price?

I don't really like Ikea for big items and Dwell/John Lewis seems tad pricey. Zara home/Next also are good but can be expensive.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 7,793 Posts
    • 4,615 Thanks
    teddysmum
    It's worth checking your local phone directory as there are companies which sell B grade electricals at much reduced prices. A fridge or washer, with a small dent or scratch on the side which will be next to a wall or hidden in a slot under a worktop is as good as a 'perfect' one.
    • artyclarty
    • By artyclarty 13th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    artyclarty
    When we moved into our new house our costs for those were:

- we were lucky as the previous owner had left a washing machine (full of water, but easily repairable) and to be honest I have never used a drier, nor know anyone that owns one

- We bought a dishwasher from argos £200 as we had a £50 gift card, so £150

- There was a fridge/freezer in the house but eventually the door fell off! It did give us time to save up for another one, £200 from John Lewis with nice guarantee

- We were given a 3 seater sofa and a chair by a relative that was downsizing to a much smaller bungalow. Not really to my taste but less than 5 years old and cost £1500 new. So £0 (we also could have picked up a nice vintage 3 piece in a local charity shop for £150)

- We bought our bed frame online for £150 and got our mattress from ikea for £125.

All in £625, would have been £775 if we had to purchase a sofa.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Mar 17, 5:50 PM
    • 9,090 Posts
    • 11,375 Thanks
    hazyjo
    can anyone recommend modern furniture like you see in show homes at new builds at a reasonable price?

I don't really like Ikea for big items and Dwell/John Lewis seems tad pricey. Zara home/Next also are good but can be expensive.
    Originally posted by cashbackproblems
    http://www.worldstores.co.uk/

and

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/

I have also bought a lot of stuff via Achica (sign up) and similar sites. You have to be quick sometimes, but they have great deals. I have some gorgeous mirrors that were a fraction of their retail price in other places.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms
    • downhillfast
    • By downhillfast 13th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    downhillfast
    We're just in process of moving and in the spirit of recycling and saving money have seriously changed our ways and have hit gumtree for a few of our big spends! Got a great sofabed for our little boy's playroom/guestroom for £100... and fab neutral coloured HUGE Next L shaped sofa for £100 and will be taking delivery of a tall fridge freezer on Wednesday that has cost us £70 inc delivery! We're having the carpets professionally cleaned this week so the sofas will get done at the same time even though they look fine.

In the past we have gone'new' for everything thinking that second hand was inferior... not the case at all... some people get rid of some great stuff dirt cheap if you can just fetch it!
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 14th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    ap1985
    Sofas & bed mattresses you probably want to check out in person but the frame you can get online for decent prices.

For appliances and pretty much everything else check out http://hotukdeals.com for some good deals, some appliance on eBay outlets by Co-Op/Argos etc you can get for good prices.

Found something in store like Currys? Buy from John Lewis with price match if it cost more and you get 2 years warranty instead of the 1.
    Originally posted by Futuristic

Definitely do not buy from Curry's. If you read online they have so much bad press on their customer service. We also have an ongoing complaint with them and are still without a fridge because of their shoddy customer service!
    Finally going to be a homeowner
    • rjw4
    • By rjw4 14th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    rjw4
    When we moved into our new house our costs for those were:

- we were lucky as the previous owner had left a washing machine (full of water, but easily repairable) and to be honest I have never used a drier, nor know anyone that owns one

- We bought a dishwasher from argos £200 as we had a £50 gift card, so £150

- There was a fridge/freezer in the house but eventually the door fell off! It did give us time to save up for another one, £200 from John Lewis with nice guarantee

- We were given a 3 seater sofa and a chair by a relative that was downsizing to a much smaller bungalow. Not really to my taste but less than 5 years old and cost £1500 new. So £0 (we also could have picked up a nice vintage 3 piece in a local charity shop for £150)

- We bought our bed frame online for £150 and got our mattress from ikea for £125.

All in £625, would have been £775 if we had to purchase a sofa.
    Originally posted by artyclarty
    Completely agree with this - is there really any need for a dryer (more electricity etc.)? Will you have a garden? We have never owned a dryer & I've lived in flats and now have a house. Probably not the best idea drying clothes inside but there isn't really another option with a flat!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,925Posts Today

9,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin