Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FIRSTTIMER
    • By FIRSTTIMER 12th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 248Posts
    • 50Thanks
    FIRSTTIMER
    First Time Buyer - Wheres best to buy stuff to kit out the new home?
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    First Time Buyer - Wheres best to buy stuff to kit out the new home? 12th Mar 17 at 9:25 PM
    Without going straight to IKEA!

I have budgeted 2500 for

- fridge
    - washer
    - dryer
    - sofa
    - bed/mattress

I have most other things that I've bought this last year....
    Savings £17500
Page 1
    • Spazter
    • By Spazter 12th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Spazter
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    I e just bought a washer and dryer from ao.com online. I ordered yesterday afternoon as there were money off offers and both items delivered today for free! We shall also be doing a trip to IKEA though as you can never have enough tee light candles😂!!
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    • 47,915 Posts
    • 561,203 Thanks
    bubbs
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    I found ao.com fantastic for fridge freezer so maybe good for washer too
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-2 stone 8 1/2 lb week 13
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    • 47,915 Posts
    • 561,203 Thanks
    bubbs
    I e just bought a washer and dryer from ao.com online. I ordered yesterday afternoon as there were money off offers and both items delivered today for free! We shall also be doing a trip to IKEA though as you can never have enough tee light candles😂!!
    Originally posted by Spazter
    Snap
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-2 stone 8 1/2 lb week 13
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 12th Mar 17, 9:59 PM
    • 3,531 Posts
    • 3,117 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:59 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:59 PM
    Ikea. And the best thing is, when you want a change, Ikea stuff sells really well on eBay too, so you can get a good proportion of your spend back
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 12th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    I do rate ao.com for appliances.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 39,666 Posts
    • 45,179 Thanks
    G_M
    What an open-ended question!

Try freecycle.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 9,090 Posts
    • 11,375 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    China and glasses - WILKO WILKO WILKO. I seriously can't say it enough times. My OH is VERY heavy handed and clumsy and even he hasn't managed to chip a plate or break a glass in the four years we've been here.

These highball glasses are fab at 50p each http://www.wilko.com/glassware/wilko-hiball-glass/invt/0316135 and this white dinner set (I bought 2) http://www.wilko.com/view-all-dinnerware/wilko-everyday-value-dinner-set-white/invt/0263286 - the bowls are nice and deep, I hate shallow ones. A fiver for the set. You won't get such quality elsewhere if new!

The Range is also pretty good.

Surprisingly, Argos do pretty good beds/mattresses and furniture, and there are always loads of mattresses on groupon.

Worldstores are very cheap for furniture http://www.worldstores.co.uk/

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 12th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 6,192 Posts
    • 19,685 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Sorry, I know you said not Ikea, but they really are the best for good quality, value for money, furniture.

And AO.com seem pretty good for electricals. We bought a washer dryer from them and had no problems.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 12th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 6,192 Posts
    • 19,685 Thanks
    Gigervamp

Surprisingly, Argos do pretty good beds/mattresses and furniture, and there are always loads of mattresses on groupon.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    The trouble with Argos for things like beds and sofas is that you can't try them out beforehand though.
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 12th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Futuristic
    The trouble with Argos for things like beds and sofas is that you can't try them out beforehand though.
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    Sofas & bed mattresses you probably want to check out in person but the frame you can get online for decent prices.

For appliances and pretty much everything else check out http://hotukdeals.com for some good deals, some appliance on eBay outlets by Co-Op/Argos etc you can get for good prices.

Found something in store like Currys? Buy from John Lewis with price match if it cost more and you get 2 years warranty instead of the 1.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Mar 17, 10:33 PM
    • 9,090 Posts
    • 11,375 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    Sofas & bed mattresses you probably want to check out in person but the frame you can get online for decent prices.
    Originally posted by Futuristic
    Agree - although groupon and the like offer them now and it is very common to buy them online. Loads of people leave reviews which can help, and lots of companies offer money back guarantees - or 'try for X number of months'.

I bought a 'comfort mattress' and bedframe in Argos several years ago for a guest room, but I now sleep on that mattress. Could prob do with a new one now, but it's always been really comfy and was very cheap. Maybe test and buy your own, but if you need a guest one, I'd be buying something similar again. If you do find something you like, google it to see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. It may well be on offer via groupon or something.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 13th Mar 17, 7:48 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    Ao. Com is great but also check your local independent businesses. When my dishwasher broke I got a decent brand out of a local shop with free removal, free fitting and some tablets/rinse aid cheaper from a local guy then I could find online.
    I ordered a sofa from dfs, when it eventually turned up it wasn't what I ordered and managed to get a lovely sofa delivered within 2 days from The Range and it's fantastic.
    Check out local second hand furniture stores too, I got a 6ft solid vintage sideboard for £80 delivered
    Mortgage £67 739
    Credit card 0% £370 (1more pay day to go)
    Emergency fund £743/£1000
    Christmas fund £60/£160
    Savings aim (including EF fund) Jan 2018 £3050 Jan 2019 £9450
    Updated 5/6
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 28,784 Posts
    • 17,216 Thanks
    getmore4less
    plenty of second hand stuff out there to get you going.

plenry of beds just need a decent mattress then.

For electrical it is down to who has the deal, AO, currys, hughes... even JL if going main brand check the cashbacks on the site not all get put on the retailers.

soft furniture like sofa often best to get cheap second hand while you settle in and decide how you want your place to develop and chose colors etc.

Much prefer the single comfy recliners over a sofa.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 4,226 Posts
    • 17,272 Thanks
    Slinky
    Aren't Ikea beds non-standard sizes? May be something to be aware of if that's likely to be an issue at some point for you.
    • SerialRenter
    • By SerialRenter 13th Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    • 570 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    SerialRenter
    Look at warehouse sale/clearance stuff at places like john lewis or amazon for example.

You can get white goods with small imperfections on the sides (which you won't see anyway) for a decent chunk of cash off.

Got my brand new fridge freezer for £80 that way.
    *Assuming you're in England or Wales.
    • Ithaca
    • By Ithaca 13th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Ithaca
    I'd second wilko for glassware etc - 12 champagne flutes for £6. Not the most delicate glasses but for swigging prosecco at a BBQ with your mates they are great.

We tend to get nearly all of our stuff from Ikea but that's mainly because it's 10 mins down the road and is super convenient. £2.75 for a non-stick frying pan, won't last for 20 yrs but if you're just getting started and are on a budget it's a really cheap way to get set up then you can pick and choose which bits to upgrade.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 13th Mar 17, 9:18 AM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    Aren't Ikea beds non-standard sizes? May be something to be aware of if that's likely to be an issue at some point for you.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Not anymore, they now sell standard UK sized beds and mattresses.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 13th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 2,439 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I agree that buying the appliances online is best. Say £700 for the 3 you mention.

A bed I'd be looking for a good wooden frame on gumtree or similar, £100. Mattress from a local warehouse place, say £400. And a sofa locally too, or possibly groupon. £1000.

Leaves you with change.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 13th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    maisie cat
    New cheap furniture won't last, but it will be cheap and get you by for a couple of years. If you are likely to keep changing your style it could be a good approach.
    I've used that approach twice when starting afresh although we didn't have EBay/gumtree or even the internet in those days.
    If you want quality I would recommend either second hand good quality stuff or try getting a local cabinet maker to make items, it's surprisingly cheaper than the likes of Neptune, and their stuff is made cheaply in China!
    I would second AO for white goods etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

2,038Users online

Martin's Twitter