Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 12th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 4,110Posts
    • 3,502Thanks
    Kite2010
    Asda Money Cashback card changing to vouchers
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    Asda Money Cashback card changing to vouchers 12th Mar 17 at 9:01 PM
    Sorry if this has already been posted, but one of my cards is the Asda Money credit card (the 1% cashback in Asda, 0.5% elsewhere). Currently any cashback earnt is credited against my account for the following month

Out of the blue I received a letter yesterday saying that the method of cashback redemption was changing, instead of it automatically being credited to my account it will change to manual voucher redemption for Asda vouchers once I hit a minimum of £2.50.

(I believe the latest card you can get from Asda is vouchers vice 'cash' so is it just Creation tidying up anybody on the old system, so has anybody else had that letter?)
Page 1
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 12th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 3,343 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    I've recently opened one of these cards (so I'm not on the old system) but I can see a cashback section online when I log in....it says it has to reach £2.50 to create a voucher.
    Does it show on yours yet when you log in?
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 12th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    I've not had the letter yet but this is very unwelcome news... Thankfully there's not yet any mention of vouchers in my online account and no reference to it on my latest statement.

Looks like the only non-Amex alternatives are the Amazon card (0.5% in vouchers) or the Aqua card (0.5% cashback).
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 12th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 9,577 Posts
    • 6,095 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    I've not had the letter yet but this is very unwelcome news... Thankfully there's not yet any mention of vouchers in my online account and no reference to it on my latest statement.

Looks like the only non-Amex alternatives are the Amazon card (0.5% in vouchers) or the Aqua card (0.5% cashback).
    Originally posted by dj1471
    TSB surely?
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 12th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    TSB surely?
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Seems to require a TSB current account, likewise the Nationwide card.
    • frankenzero
    • By frankenzero 13th Mar 17, 8:27 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    frankenzero
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:27 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:27 AM
    I've not had a letter yet but that's not to say I won't. I wondered when they would (or if they would) change their existing customers to this new scheme.
    • jo-bo
    • By jo-bo 13th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    jo-bo
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    I've had the letter too. This should now really have its name changed I feel as the only place you can spend the vouchers is in Asda, so technically it's not cash back.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 13th Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    • 6,968 Posts
    • 5,331 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:29 AM

Originally posted by dj1471
    There's also John Lewis Mastercard.

1% back for spend in JL and Waitrose, 0.5% elsewhere, paid in JL vouchers.
    • King Of Fools
    • By King Of Fools 13th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    King Of Fools
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    There's also John Lewis Mastercard.

1% back for spend in JL and Waitrose, 0.5% elsewhere, paid in JL vouchers.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    Or The Debenhams Mastercard:

3% back for Debenhams spend, 0.5% elsewhere, paid in Debenhams vouchers.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 15th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 4,110 Posts
    • 3,502 Thanks
    Kite2010
    A bit of a shame it's going over to vouchers vice proper cash-back, I might ditch the card as I don't really shop in Asda anymore (so they will probably be more hassle than they are worth)

All good things must come to an end
    • synth
    • By synth 16th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    synth
    Another one for actual cash cashback would be the Barclaycard Duo. You get a Visa (0.5%) and an Amex (1%) cashback on all purchases. You can even determine when you get your cashback. This card isn't advertised on the site, however. If you are an existing Barclaycard customer, you can call them up and ask them to upgrade you to this card.
    • philatio
    • By philatio 17th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    philatio
    I shop at Asda so not that fussed, but if I didn't I'd be well miffed.
    • studentsaver_88
    • By studentsaver_88 21st Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    studentsaver_88
    I have not had a letter yet, but I however got a nationwide card in preparation. Already have a tsb card!
    • A4445
    • By A4445 22nd Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    A4445
    Ive had the letter of ASDA today, fortunately I have an Nationwide card with cash back. I won't be using the ASDA card anymore.
    • Coljan
    • By Coljan 30th Mar 17, 8:06 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Coljan
    asda vouchers
    Does anyone know whether these vouchers can be used to buy petrol at Asda
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 30th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Yes, just opened my letter today. I used to shop at Asda regularly, which is why I took the card out in the first place. I'm now an Aldi convert, so Asda vouchers not much use to me. I found it very useful - I have a Santander 123 credit card that pays cashback on purchases at supermarkets, fuel stations, train tickets and department stores - but I used the Asda card for purchases that didn't fall in to any of those categories.

With an average Asda card spend of £1500 a month, I was getting about £7.50 in cashback, or £90 a year - better than a slap in the face with a wet haddock, but not worth making a special trip to Asda for each month. Does anyone know if there's a time limit to spending the vouchers? (I wouldn't mind a special trip for ninety quids-worth of booze just before Christmas).

Humph.
    • skybluesaver
    • By skybluesaver 30th Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    skybluesaver
    No they don't allow use of the vouchers for fuel purchase I'm afraid.
    • skybluesaver
    • By skybluesaver 30th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    skybluesaver
    Yes, just opened my letter today. I used to shop at Asda regularly, which is why I took the card out in the first place. I'm now an Aldi convert, so Asda vouchers not much use to me. I found it very useful - I have a Santander 123 credit card that pays cashback on purchases at supermarkets, fuel stations, train tickets and department stores - but I used the Asda card for purchases that didn't fall in to any of those categories.

With an average Asda card spend of £1500 a month, I was getting about £7.50 in cashback, or £90 a year - better than a slap in the face with a wet haddock, but not worth making a special trip to Asda for each month. Does anyone know if there's a time limit to spending the vouchers? (I wouldn't mind a special trip for ninety quids-worth of booze just before Christmas).

Humph.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse

No expiry date on the cashback accumulated but once you request a voucher, you only have 28 days to use the voucher.
    • frankenzero
    • By frankenzero 14th Apr 17, 8:54 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    frankenzero
    Got my letter today announcing the change. Think I'm going to close the account as i dont shop in Asda.
    • iAMaLONDONER
    • By iAMaLONDONER 15th Apr 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    iAMaLONDONER
    No expiry date on the cashback accumulated but once you request a voucher, you only have 28 days to use the voucher.
    Originally posted by skybluesaver

Is the voucher on a physical gift card or is is a paper voucher to print out?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

973Posts Today

7,112Users online

Martin's Twitter