Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • strokebow
    • By strokebow 12th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 0Thanks
    strokebow
    Personal Information Lost from my Employer Data Protection Negligence?
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    Personal Information Lost from my Employer Data Protection Negligence? 12th Mar 17 at 8:11 PM
    My employer (NHS), informed me to say that my personal details had been compromised and they are 'sorry'.

As always, it was never really their fault, some supplier's, third party, brother uncles cousin type of lingo. The type you expect in such circumstances.

Where do I stand? Who is accountable? Can I make a claim?

Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 12th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 5,910 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    Speak with your union about the situation as its unlikely your the only individual concerned.
    • strokebow
    • By strokebow 12th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    strokebow
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    Speak with your union about the situation as its unlikely your the only individual concerned.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    Thanks for advice. I dont see what that would do. How do you mean?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 12th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 5,910 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    The branch can raise on behalf of their affected members and work to ensure mechanisms are adopted to control data appropriately. This will be far more effective than individuals being fobbed off.

If your looking to make a claim (whats your loss?) again the branch can refer to a legal officer who will contact you.

You are a union member?
    • strokebow
    • By strokebow 12th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    strokebow
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    The branch can raise on behalf of their affected members and work to ensure mechanisms are adopted to control data appropriately. This will be far more effective than individuals being fobbed off.

If your looking to make a claim (whats your loss?) again the branch can refer to a legal officer who will contact you.

You are a union member?
    Originally posted by ohreally
    not yet.... haha
    maybe i'll sign up now then.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 12th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 5,910 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    Originally posted by strokebow
    Don't bother.
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    • jungle jane
    • By jungle jane 12th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 1,731 Thanks
    jungle jane
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    What type of claim are you wanting to make and why?
    • jonmoneybags
    • By jonmoneybags 13th Mar 17, 9:39 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    jonmoneybags
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:39 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:39 AM
    cha-ching, I smell at least £1,000,000.............all aboard, first (and last) stop the compensation station as usual.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 13th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    What type of claim are you wanting to make and why?
    Originally posted by jungle jane
    Compensayshun innit!
    £2017 in 2017 - £1057.70
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 13,038 Posts
    • 12,603 Thanks
    Guest101
    Claims such as this are typically around the £250 mark, if successful.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Mar 17, 6:51 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    not yet.... haha
    Originally posted by strokebow
    Don't waste your time. No union will represent you on an issue which happened before you joined. If they did, nobody would join them until they had a problem.
    • Vectis
    • By Vectis 14th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Vectis
    What do you mean when you say they've 'lost' your data? Lost what? Did they delete digital files or was it a case of paperwork being left on a train etc?

What information is it?

What exactly would you be claiming for? Just because someone loses something doesn't mean you're owed money. It just means they've lost your data somehow. How has it affected you?
    • strokebow
    • By strokebow 14th Mar 17, 5:36 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    strokebow
    Hi,

Basically they say they were hacked and all of my personal details were stolen off the system. they didn't divulge the specific nature of the details.

I'm never claimed compensation before and likely wont in this case either. Just makes me sick that people can lose your details and nothing happens to them. Surely having proper encryption isn't too hard. Whats the point of the data protection act if it cant protect you?

I smell a rat when they try to distance themselves to the nth degree.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 14th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    TBH thats like me having you look after my bike, someone breaks into your house and steals it along with your TV and me getting mad at YOU for losing my bike.

Assuming the hacking story is true.

Do bear in mind, they are your employer, its best to have a job over causing issues and ending up with nothing or being managed out.
    • dlmcr
    • By dlmcr 14th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    dlmcr
    Not what you want to hear but to save you a bit of time here is a story from the other side of the fence: Speaking as someone who has contracted for the NHS a few times previously (thanks to IR35 changes no more) you would not believe the lax attitude taken towards security and confidentiality. If one were so inclined and one had a little technical knowledge and the physical ability to access them it would be perfectly possible to physically take incredibly confidental data relating to staff and patients, information that has considerable value to certain people. There is no accountability within the NHS, there can't be, it would be an incredible concept for named individuals to be custodians of data and to be ultimately accountable for what is happening to it - such a concept just doesn't exist in the public sector (I am not saying it is anyone's fault, as part of senior management thinking processes it just didn't occur to anyone that something like that might be important) , there is no knowledge / tracking of what data is doing where it is going, and who is accessing it for what purposes. As for encryption, don't make me laugh. To be honest speaking from experience it is incredible that there haven't been significantly more data leaks than there have been.. the end.
    • JamoLew
    • By JamoLew 14th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JamoLew
    Sounds like you have been caught up in the "data breach" at Landaeur last year.
    If you are concerned, have a chat with your information governance team who will be able to advise on exactly what data was lost.
    It can range from Initial and surname only, all the way to full name, date of birth and ni number. Don't panic untill you know the severity.
    I believe Landaeur are providing one years membership with Experia for those people whose information may be used for unwarranted activity, your Info Governance Dept will advise you if you are in this group.
    Several people at my trust have also got caught up in this, so you are not alone, Google also provides some info.
    Hope this helps somewhat
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,520Posts Today

7,932Users online

Martin's Twitter