Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doodlebug5
    • By Doodlebug5 12th Mar 17, 7:34 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 114Thanks
    Doodlebug5
    How does the exchange side work?
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:34 PM
    How does the exchange side work? 12th Mar 17 at 7:34 PM
    So we currently live in a property that my parents bought for us. It's in their name and they have very kindly gifted the difference between what we sell it for and the mortgage. It works out about 78k. We will pay the capital gains tax on the property and minus solicitors and estate agent fees so effectively we have a 62500 deposit.

We have now sold our house and have been looking for houses.
    We have fallen in love with a new build and are going down the help to buy route as we are first time buyers. They are requesting the deposit 4-6 weeks before completion on exchange date. Does this mean we have to find the 60k elsewhere or how does it work? Or do we sell our house and move out then when those funds are released we then buy our house? I'm very confused and not sure how it works? Anyone know?

Thanks
    Doodle
Page 1
    • HouseBuyer77
    • By HouseBuyer77 12th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    HouseBuyer77
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    The deposit for exchange of contracts is usually 10% of the sale price. It is not the same as the deposit most people talk about (i.e. the cash you put towards the purchase price, the rest being the mortgage).

A lower one may be negotiable you need to ask them (many people don't have 10% in cash but lots of equity so it's a common situation).
    • Doodlebug5
    • By Doodlebug5 12th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Doodlebug5
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    Ah ok they have asked for a 5% deposit... makes sense! They have said they will work with us if we use their mortgage brokers of course. Thanks that makes sense!
    • SmlSave
    • By SmlSave 12th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 16,310 Thanks
    SmlSave
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    I would strongly recommend not using the mortgage broker or solicitor pushed on you by the developers without doing your own research.
    Boy Smllet born 23/06/2011 and Girl Smllet born 01/03/2014

5 year challenge to pay off 20,000
    350 per month challenge
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 39,204 Posts
    • 44,542 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    So we currently live in a property that my parents bought for us. It's in their name and they have very kindly gifted the difference between what we sell it for and the mortgage. It works out about 78k. We will pay the capital gains tax on the property and minus solicitors and estate agent fees so effectively we have a 62500 deposit.
    Not sure what relevance the above has. So you have 62.5K cash. OK.

We have now sold our house and have been looking for houses.
    Errr really? Where are you living then? I suspect you mean you have found a buyer, but not yet sold?

We have fallen in love with a new build and are going down the help to buy route as we are first time buyers.
    Each to their own I suppose. But 'falling in love' with a New Build seems like a contradiction of terms.... !

They are requesting the deposit 4-6 weeks before completion on exchange date.
    It is normal to make a 10% (or other agreed amount) down-payment (deposit) at Exchnage.

Does this mean we have to find the 60k elsewhere or how does it work?
    You have not said how much you are paying for the New Build, or what % deposit they want, so we don't know how much you need to find.

Or do we sell our house and move out then when those funds are released we then buy our house? I'm very confused and not sure how it works? Anyone know?

Thanks
    Doodle
    Originally posted by Doodlebug5
    Provided you can find the 10% (or whatever) to pay at Exchange, you can pay the remaining 90% from a combination of sale money, mortgage and cash at Completion.

I agree with Sml - do NOT use their recommended conveyancer, or financial advisor. Find someone who is unconnected wth your seller and will work for you, with no conflict of interest.
    • steeeb
    • By steeeb 12th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    steeeb
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    Is it leasehold or freehold? (Nothing to do with your question - but do beware of new build leaseholds).
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Mar 17, 7:50 AM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 4,141 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:50 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:50 AM
    If I'm understanding your post correctly, it's an unusual situation....
    Your parents are selling a house, and you are buying a house.

The transactions need to be linked - you want to exchange and completion on both properties to be simultaneous

On completion, the funds from your parents' sale will be gifted to you, so that you can complete your purchase.

Because you don't have access to 60k (or 30k) - You want the deposit paid to your parents on their house to "move up the chain" to form the deposit on the house you are buying.
    If you explain the above to solicitors, I suspect it's easily achievable - but it would involve extra legal work (so extra fees). And it's probably not a job for a 'conveyancing warehouse' type firm.

But a good solicitor should still be able to quote a fixed fee, if you give them all the info up front.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,879Posts Today

5,665Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin