Paying off cards

Hi i have 4 credit cards, 3 of which are near there limit. The total amount I owe is approx 5500, I'm thinking about paying them all off but am unsure of the best way? If I get a loan I'll obviously have to pay interest on it, I've thought about balance transfer but in the past I've found that you usually only get a 1000 limit on new cards that offer zero percent interest on balance transfer and I'm not sure it's a good idea to open lots more credit card accounts in order to pay my debts off. Any advice would be welcome....

Comments

• maas
    maas Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You should target the card with the highest interest rate first. A 0% BT card can still help even if it only transfers part of one of the cards you currently have.

However as you've said, opening more credit cards can result in more debt. It might be worth going to DebtFreeWanabe board and posting a statement of affairs. They can help you cut down your expenses.
  • INAMESS
    INAMESS Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the message. My budget is not really the problem. I just want to pay these cards off in the cheapest, easiest and quickest way possible. Hard to know which way is best though, loan or more cards etc
  • maas
    maas Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You could try the MSE eligibility checker for credit cards. Sainsbury's have a BT and no fee for 28 months at the moment.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    A loan to consolidate rarely works so I would avoid that.

Work at overpaying the highest APR first. Whether you are paying one, two or five cards makes no difference so any deals you can get is just saving you money in interest. Throw ever spare penny you can at the debt.

As one card finishes put that payment on to the next highest APR card as well as your original payment and so on.

You can use the snowball calculator to see when your end date is likely to be.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You might need to adjust your mindset - you would not be 'paying off' instead you are looking to move to a lower interest rate. Taking on extra credit is not paying off anything although it might help you to do so if you can get some of the debt onto 0%
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • INAMESS
    INAMESS Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Still a bit confused lol. At the moment I'm paying the minimum amount on the cards I owe money on which in total comes to about 100 pounds a month which to be honest is about all I can afford in terms of monthly payment, which is why i thought a loan with repayments around the same amount would be the better option? If I applied for more cards at zero interest it would affect my credit score and I guess I'd only get a low limit that I'd be able to transfer anyway?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure