Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,331Posts
    • 836Thanks
    Robin9
    NHS Equipment Insurance Claim
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    NHS Equipment Insurance Claim 12th Mar 17 at 7:28 PM
    A few years ago my MIL had a NHS prescription for a pair of in-the-ear hearings aids - her ear lobes are too floppy for the usual type. They were fitted at a local Specsavers and all was well.

Early this year she lost one.

Apparently NHS no longer supply these and the solution was a private pair at £1400

With her consent I made a claim on her household insurance - unspecified valuables less than £2000 and new for old.

Her claim has been referred to an assessor who are asking for an original invoice. Specsavers have been very good and have provided details of what was originally supplied but cannot provide an invoice - there wasn't one just the NHS prescription.

If the assessors dig their heels in what can I do ?
Page 1
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 12th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    If that's what it costs to replace new-for-old, spec-for-spec, then that's what it costs.

It's not a new-for-old settlement to pay out what you paid originally.

If they dig their heels in, dig yours in.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Mar 17, 5:39 AM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:39 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:39 AM
    Thankyou Blibble - I can be very persistent.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 13th Mar 17, 6:24 AM
    • 14,487 Posts
    • 20,458 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:24 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:24 AM
    A few years ago my MIL had a NHS prescription for a pair of in-the-ear hearings aids - her ear lobes are too floppy for the usual type. They were fitted at a local Specsavers and all was well.

Early this year she lost one.

Apparently NHS no longer supply these and the solution was a private pair at £1400....
    Originally posted by Robin9
    ITE, ITC and CIC hearing aids are not issued as standard on the NHS, although they are available in certain circumstances, mostly for clinical reasons.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/hearing-problems/Pages/hearing-aids.aspx

...With her consent I made a claim on her household insurance - unspecified valuables less than £2000 and new for old.

Her claim has been referred to an assessor who are asking for an original invoice. Specsavers have been very good and have provided details of what was originally supplied but cannot provide an invoice - there wasn't one just the NHS prescription...
    Specsavers would have invoiced the NHS.

...If the assessors dig their heels in what can I do ?
    Read your insurance contract carefully. If you still believe that the loss of NHS supplied hearing aids are covered, complaind, and take it to the FOS.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 26th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 26th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 26th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    All is satisfactorily resolved - insurers paid in full
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,575Posts Today

6,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: We are filming tomorrow in Torremolinos! If you're in the area, head to Branigans on Av. Palma de Mallorca between 5pm-6.45p?

• RT @mmhpi: ??The money and mental health manifesto - 10 steps to boost #mentalhealth & financial #wellbeing for Britain #GE2017 https://t.c?

• In Spain in a restaurant ready for filming in Torremolinos tomorrow (do come and see us if you're there) watching #mcfcmufc #CTID

• Follow Martin