Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishf
    • By scottishf 12th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 1,162Posts
    • 440Thanks
    scottishf
    Pre Existing Medical Conditions insurance - single trip ?
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    Pre Existing Medical Conditions insurance - single trip ? 12th Mar 17 at 5:22 PM
    we are going to usa via amsterdam and returning the same way. Does this count as a single trip ?

I hadnt realised that a pre existing medical condition could make travel insurance so expensive.

Can anyone recommend a particular company - I have prices that go from 375 up to 1000
Page 1
    • aerostar
    • By aerostar 12th Mar 17, 7:16 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    aerostar
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:16 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:16 PM
    MSE has a Travel Insurance article

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/pre-existing-travel-insurance

and in it there is Global Travel Insurance

http://www.globaltravelinsurance.co.uk/index

Worth checking.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Mar 17, 7:50 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 2,879 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:50 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:50 PM
    Yes , it is one trip

Cover for USA is expensive as medical treatment there is very expensive and repatriation is expensive. Make sure you have adequate cover.
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 13th Mar 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:16 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:16 AM
    And for what it is worth - do not for one moment contemplate travel to the USA without full cover for your condition(s). The medical costs correctly mentioned will wipe your house equity away, not just your bank balance, if the worst should happen.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
    • scottishf
    • By scottishf 14th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    scottishf
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    Thanks, yes I wouldnt consider going without insurance, ive had a quote from Cover cloud of £345 which is the cheapest, does anyone have any experience of them ?
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 14th Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    Thanks, yes I wouldnt consider going without insurance, ive had a quote from Cover cloud of £345 which is the cheapest, does anyone have any experience of them ?
    Originally posted by scottishf
    Good - it is the inclusion of cover for your conditions that I think you know matters. Some insurers offer a "cheap option" that excludes cover for anything caused or related to your pre-existing condition...

Cover Cloud was I think until relatively recently specifically a gadget insurance "crowd". The Travel Insurance is underwritten by MAPFRE. They are pretty large and also underwrite Insure&Go and All Clear, for example.

All Clear have along history in providing travel insurance to those with conditions - you could try a comparative quote with them.
    • scottishf
    • By scottishf 14th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    scottishf
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    The most expensive quotation I had was from all clear, they were around £1000. shocking :-(
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 14th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    Makes you wonder why the difference given the same underlying underwriter?
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 16th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    Not a fan of the the DM or This is Money spin on things (typically their headlines read like "aspirin will kill you" followed by "aspirin will save you" within weeks) - but there are some survey facts here too...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-4313060/Insurers-sting-older-travellers-massive-price-hikes.html
    • AirCooledHeaven
    • By AirCooledHeaven 16th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    AirCooledHeaven
    The problem with any insurance policy is that you really only know how good it is when you come to make a claim. While not exactly moneysaving, my own preference with insurance is to go for the best cover rather than the lowest price. I recently took out travel cover with Topdog Insurance, it was their 'Platinum' policy and I also included a pre-existing medical condition.

Unfortunately I had an accident while on holiday and racked up a fair amount of medical and related bills. I put a claim in when I got back and I was recompensed in full within 10 days, without any hassle or quibbling. I can't imagine it would have been so simple had I taken out the cheapest cover available. And as another poster has said, if you are unfortunate enough to be taken ill in the USA the costs can be crippling.
    • scottishf
    • By scottishf 17th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    scottishf
    This is a nightmare for me LOL, ive been a lot of holidays and never really looked into it very much on the insurance side until my husband got ill ! Im using the standard cover that I get free with my bank for myself and my daughter, but now im even starting to think thats not going to be any good - I wish id just stayed in the EU now !
    • dodgy123
    • By dodgy123 20th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dodgy123
    Not sure if this makes any difference but it may affect the policy price. I always insure myself separately and my partner (now family) on their own regular/cheaper policy. Not sure if this is the right thing to do but its better than no insurance which is option I went with in my younger years (medical condition since birth)
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 20th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    I always insure myself separately and my partner (now family) on their own regular/cheaper policy.
    Originally posted by dodgy123
    The only things you need to check / might be affected I can think of are:-
    • Firstly, that cancellation includes people with whom you are travelling (not insured on the same policy as may sometimes be the insurer's requirement)
    • And secondly, what would happen if you were hospitalised and so your return delayed - would your insurer cover your family staying to be with you - or vice versa.
    • And finally realise that any claim for baggage may get complicated if you need to claim from both insurers for say a suitcase containing family items.

Those details may be clear in the policy wording or you could always ask by calling.

That said I am not sure the costs for those who do not have any conditions will be so punitive most of the time (but am you found otherwise) - even if those insurers are not quite as cheap as your solution. The family policy should come without the above issues.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,450Posts Today

7,847Users online

Martin's Twitter