Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 12th Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 3,456Posts
    • 1,444Thanks
    EdGasket
    Solicitors have lost title deeds
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    Solicitors have lost title deeds 12th Mar 17 at 2:54 PM
    In 1999 my sister purchased a property. The solicitors that acted for her retained the Title Deeds 'for safe keeping'. Fast forward 18 years and my sister would like to take possession of the deeds and to cut a long story short, the solicitors have 'lost' them. They told her she can download them from the Land registry. The title is registered and in her name so my question is, if she obtains an 'official copy' of the register using form OC1 (costs 7), is that as good as the original Title Deeds for all practical purposes? If so it hardly seems worth making a song and dance about the Solicitors 'losing' the original.
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 35,127 Posts
    • 148,251 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    Not sure that the solicitors have lost them or that they are registered on line so no need to retain them.

Either way if they are registered at Land Registry that is all you need.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Mar 17, 3:06 PM
    • 27,317 Posts
    • 69,502 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:06 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:06 PM
    In 1999 my sister purchased a property.

The solicitors that acted for her retained the Title Deeds 'for safe keeping'.
    Originally posted by EdGasket
    Unless you specifically ask for the original deeds to be sent back to you, the LA destroys them once the property is registered with them.

Did your sister tell the solicitors that she wanted them to ask for the paper copies to be returned from the LR?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 12,354 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    For any property registered with LR, the deeds are only useful for historical interest. There is an outside chance that they may contain some edge-case information about covenants or boundaries, which did not get recorded on the LR entry, but the primary record of her ownership is the LR registration.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 39,236 Posts
    • 44,576 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    ...... if she obtains an 'official copy' of the register using form OC1 (costs 7), is that as good as the original Title Deeds for all practical purposes?
    Originally posted by EdGasket
    Yes.

It's an 'Official Copy' of the electronic registration of the title.

The 'original Title Deeds' held by the solicitor is .....an 'Official Copy' of the electronic registration of the title.

Unless of course by ' original Title Deeds' you are referring to documents pre-dating the registration ie earlier conveyances- these only have legal value if they contain covenants which

a) still bind the property and
    b) are not also held by the land registry.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 12th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    Did your sister tell the solicitors that she wanted them to ask for the paper copies to be returned from the LR?
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    She has a letter from the solicitor at the time of purchase confirming that he has the updated title deeds and is keeping them for 'safe keeping'.

I gather an official copy is just as good from the replies, thank you all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,058Posts Today

6,078Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin