Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pandilex
    • By Pandilex 12th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 352Posts
    • 174Thanks
    Pandilex
    Fault I paid the mechanic to fix returned, what do I do?
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    Fault I paid the mechanic to fix returned, what do I do? 12th Mar 17 at 2:50 PM
    Is there any chance they will fix it again without me paying?

Basically my car developed a rattling noise and I took it in and they said there was an issue with the brake discs, which they completely replaced for about 150 quid

The car was fine after that but a couple of weeks later the exact same problem has returned.

I don't want to have to pay again, will they fix it for free (or at least subtract the cost of their first attempted fix from the bill) or am I out of luck and gonna have to pay again to see if they can fix it for real this time?
Page 1
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 12th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    rich13348
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    Take it back and fully explain what has happened since their first repair. There may be another underlying problem that was not discovered the first time.
    You may or may not have to pay depending in the garage and the problem found.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 12th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    • 11,073 Posts
    • 6,155 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    Go back, get them to look at it again and for good measure ask them to make sure the disc shields aren't loose bent or damaged.

These were likely the original fault, but nobody likes to pay good money for someone to fix their car without replacing something, so mechanics tend to lie when the fault is something as simple as unscrewing/re-aligning something.

Why technicians and mechanics lie to customers.

Of i'm assuming/hoping you didn't go to Halfrauds, Crapfit or similar, rather than a proper garage.
    Last edited by Strider590; 12-03-2017 at 4:11 PM.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Pandilex
    • By Pandilex 12th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Pandilex
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    I dunno what to do as I'm at my wit's end with this car, suddenly it developed so many issues and every time I pay money on it something else happens, I just need to get rid of the stupid thing! The car isn't even worth all these repairs it suddenly needs, just had to pay for some repairs, an MOT and service (it passed somehow), and now this repair that has somehow failed...

I will take it back to the garage but I am sick of paying money when I just want the car gone, if you have any ideas on how to cut my losses would be appreciated, I think if the garage wants money to repair it i'm just gonna scrap it, as I think it's cursed.

Sorry, so fed up and feeling ranty!
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 12th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 11,073 Posts
    • 6,155 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    Cars need maintenance and occasional repairs, they may need more repairs if you use the types of places I mentioned above, who have a great way of creating future work for themselves.

On the flip side, my last car was 12 years old, never failed an MOT, serviced every 12 months and addressing issues before they became major faults kept the costs down to next to nothing.

Fixing minor problems yourself tends to make car ownership less stressful, things like replacing a bulb every few months and maybe the battery every 3-4 years.

Generally speaking a car is worth what it would cost to replace and there's a very real risk of buying someone elses problems, seeing as most people get rid of cars when there are issues that need fixing.

• rich13348
    • By rich13348 12th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    rich13348
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    Trade it in cut your losses and buy a newer car. However all cars need some repairs at some time.
    • Pandilex
    • By Pandilex 12th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Pandilex
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    I think it's worth about 1500 with the issue fixed but that is private sale, I just want it gone but it seems I will get nothing for trade in and peanuts from those sites that will take a car off you. Although at this point peanuts is better than bleeding constant money.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 12th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 2,129 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    ...I just want it gone...
    Originally posted by Pandilex
    To replace it with another secondhand car that someone else "just wanted gone"?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Pandilex
    • By Pandilex 12th Mar 17, 6:53 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Pandilex
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:53 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:53 PM
    I've gone for a lease car but I don't get it for a while, because I'm not going through all this stress again!
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 12th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 11,073 Posts
    • 6,155 Thanks
    Strider590
    I've gone for a lease car but I don't get it for a while, because I'm not going through all this stress again!
    Well hopefully your new car won't go through the usual "teething problem" stage.

• docmatt
    • By docmatt 12th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    docmatt
    I was just going to suggest that. Hope you like it.
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 13th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    Well hopefully your new car won't go through the usual "teething problem" stage.
    Originally posted by Strider590

Where do you get this idea? None of the new cars I've had over the years have had teething problems.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,163Users online

Martin's Twitter