Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bigdavef1
    • By Bigdavef1 12th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bigdavef1
    Warranty Question
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    Warranty Question 12th Mar 17 at 1:08 PM
    Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a used Focus, less than a year old from a reputable nationwide car supermarket. I have checked and the car meets all the requirements for the manufacturers warranty (I believe). The car supermarket is insistent that I purchase their 2 year warranty. Is it advisable to purchase a warranty or would I still be covered by the manufacturers warranty?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 12th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    Tilt
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a used Focus, less than a year old from a reputable nationwide car supermarket. I have checked and the car meets all the requirements for the manufacturers warranty (I believe). The car supermarket is insistent that I purchase their 2 year warranty. Is it advisable to purchase a warranty or would I still be covered by the manufacturers warranty?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Bigdavef1
    Providing the car has all the necessary dealer history which shows it's been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's schedule and warranty conditions, there is no need for you to purchase "their 2 year warranty". AFAIK Fords carry a 3 year warranty from new so you already have (or should have) 2 years left on that.

It maybe the case however, that you need to inform the Ford Warranty scheme of the change of ownership.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • Bigdavef1
    • By Bigdavef1 12th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bigdavef1
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    Thanks, I wasn't sure whether the manufacturers warranty is invalid as I won't be purchasing from a Ford dealer.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    I purchased my Mondeo from Quicks. Had no problem doing a warranty claim at my local Ford dealer.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 12th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 10,907 Posts
    • 6,066 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    I didn't realise there were any?

Unless "reputable" means "have lots of TV ads and therefore seem familiar".
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 12th Mar 17, 4:11 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:11 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:11 PM
    If they're reputable, why are they insisting that you buy a two year warranty from them if the car already has manufacturer's warranty?
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 12th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    Tilt
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    Thanks, I wasn't sure whether the manufacturers warranty is invalid as I won't be purchasing from a Ford dealer.
    Well if you do have any issues with the car, you should return it to the seller in the first instance anyway as your 'contract' is with them.

Don't forget you have your statutory consumer rights to rely on, warranty or no warranty.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • Bigdavef1
    • By Bigdavef1 12th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bigdavef1
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    Reputable may have been the wrong choice of word!

Thanks all for the replies, glad I asked as I had a suspicion they were just after more money ( suprisingly!)
    • Moneyextra-Matt
    • By Moneyextra-Matt 12th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Moneyextra-Matt
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    I purchased a 2 year warranty through AutoGuard. Only had my car for 7 months and now need to sell my car. Tried looking at my T&Cs to see if I can sell it with my car. Does anybody know if that's possible?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 9,036 Posts
    • 10,146 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Looking at the warranty documentation here:
    http://www.autoguardwarranties.com/products/warranty-documents/
    It appears to be the case that it is transferrable for a fee of £35 (only transferrable to a private individual and not to a business).
    The terms are on page 6 of the documents.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

396Posts Today

4,716Users online

Martin's Twitter