Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gavin78
    • By Gavin78 12th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 172Posts
    • 48Thanks
    Gavin78
    Closed account (paying off debts)
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    Closed account (paying off debts) 12th Mar 17 at 1:51 PM
    I've just been onto my clear score report and it is showing a number of my creditors I am in debt with have now closed the accounts.

I have a regular payment plan going through stepchange and DD's are going out ok.

Do I need to contact stepchange to make sure everything is still ok to continue making payments to these closed accounts?

Google searching and on here shows closed accounts are no longer active to make payments to so not sure what I should do at this point as none of them have written to me to inform me.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 10,893 Posts
    • 10,560 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    Unless you have paid them off, it usually means the debt has been sold on to a debt collector.
    You remain 100% liable for these debts, nothing has changed.

The sale of delinquent accounts is very common.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 12th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    • 4,251 Posts
    • 24,916 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    Clearscore define closed accounts as any account that is defaulted, not just ones that have been settled. I prefer Noddle (which is free as well) but not all companies report to all referencing agencies so it's worth checking them all
    • JVenture
    • By JVenture 12th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JVenture
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    Well its not incorrect sadly, you are making payments to stepchange which offers an amount to your creditors based on your income and its usually a large decrements than the contractual amount you agreed to.

So when you step outside the agreement they apply a default (closed) marker on your credit file to indicate you did not stick to the terms agreed, which falls off after 6 years from being applied.

Nothing to update sadly.
    • Gavin78
    • By Gavin78 12th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Gavin78
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    Thanks I've heard of stories from companies like Stepchange where they have taken payment and put it into a holding account because there hasn't been an account to make payment as the creditor has either closed that account number down so payment bouncies or the account has been passed onto another company.

The only company to write to me was Natwest who told me the account was being closed down and they would be intouch within 14 days regarding the outstanding balance on my account and noted that I had been making lower payments via a debt charity.

That 14 days notice passed about 2 months ago I haven't heard anything from them since other than a statement last week.

I'll leave it for now and see what happens over the next few weeks and months and if I don't hear anything I'll take it that everything is ok atm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,525Posts Today

7,610Users online

Martin's Twitter