Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 12th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 943Posts
    • 145Thanks
    littlerock
    Need simple discussion forum for a group of friends
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    Need simple discussion forum for a group of friends 12th Mar 17 at 11:59 AM
    We are a group of friends researching a local park. We need a discussion forum to share our findings and ideally this would be one where we can upload photos directly and URLs. I don't mind paying for the software if it is not too expensive, so long as it can do this. Not too keen on phppb as photos have to be loaded into photobucket or flickr first. This will be a closed group around 8 or 9 of us only.

Any suggestions
Page 1
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 12th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    Would a private group on Facebook meet your needs?
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 12th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    Couple of the friends do not have a facebook account and do not want to open one......
    • were
    • By were 12th Mar 17, 4:28 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    were
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:28 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:28 PM
    how about WhatsApp? Just create a group.

Google groups.... never used it myself?

A free website via https://www.hostinger.in ?

Dropbox?

Shared email groups?

Running out of quick thinkable options. Changes can be actioned via twitter... but like me they have not got facebook,and not of that era.....
    Last edited by were; 12-03-2017 at 4:44 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 28,729 Posts
    • 18,144 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    The tablet/phone app Discord any good ?

Its on ios, android, Linux, Mac and Windows.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 12th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    Try OneNote....Free and easy to share. Pics can be uploaded directly.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 12th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    We are a group of friends researching a local park. We need a discussion forum to share our findings and ideally this would be one where we can upload photos directly and URLs. I don't mind paying for the software if it is not too expensive, so long as it can do this. Not too keen on phppb as photos have to be loaded into photobucket or flickr first. This will be a closed group around 8 or 9 of us only.

Any suggestions
    Originally posted by littlerock
    Not sure why you say think phbBB can't host the files directly. Admittedly, this is from an older version but it definitely can host photos (and other files) no problem.

• cookie365
    • By cookie365 12th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    cookie365
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    Trello

https://trello.com/
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 13th Mar 17, 5:13 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    EdwardB
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:13 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:13 AM

Any suggestions
    Originally posted by littlerock
    The web is a publishing platform, so you have to consider whether you want this public or private.

You then need to think about what you want to do with the data you collect.

For example, if you were doing a study in the park of people letting dogs do their poo it would not matter much, however, if you were looking into the progress and spread of diseased trees then you might want to structure the data for final use and design the use in accordance with that.

If it were a appropriate you might use Omeka http://www.omeka.net/ (hosted) or http://omeka.org/ (host yourself) I can refer you to way to implement on your own hosting under £30 for 1st year.

Personally, if it is private and you want it simple, it is hard to beat WhatsApp, there is a desktop version.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 13th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    gfplux
    Google docs would be perfect. Works on desktop, iPad and smart phone.
    I voted to remain. That was then, I have had to move on. I hope I was wrong that it is a bad move for Britain. Only time will tell. Let's get on with it.
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 13th Mar 17, 4:45 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 8,438 Thanks
    WestonDave
    Slack might do the job?
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 13th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    littlerock
    Just to let everyone know that in the end Proboards did the trick. (The test version I tried of phpBB said I had to load my images from an external source.) Proboard lets you do that or add them as images directly (as attachments). Was very easy to set up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,427Posts Today

8,110Users online

Martin's Twitter