Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BishBashBosh86
    • By BishBashBosh86 12th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 10Thanks
    BishBashBosh86
    Getting plumber in to check boiler
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    Getting plumber in to check boiler 12th Mar 17 at 12:51 PM
    Hi all,

First time buyer. Recently had an offer accepted on a house and I have just started the "next phase".

My solicitor has suggested that I get a plumber in to check the central heating system.

When we viewed the house our initial thoughts were the boiler looked old and would need replacing. Its a "Main Combi 24 HE" which doesnt mean a great deal to me but maybe someone here will know abit about it?

I've asked the estate agent about when the last service was and they sent over the form which stated it was checked last August and everything was fine. I believe the house has been empty for a couple of months now.

There is money in the budget to cover getting a new boiler but I'm torn as to whether to just stick with the one in the house and get it checked or to just get a new one now.
Page 1
    • BishBashBosh86
    • By BishBashBosh86 12th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    BishBashBosh86
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    Actually just found a "rating" of the boiler here - http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/efficiency-tables.php?model=010444

Doesn't sound too bad at all.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 12th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 4,617 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    Replacing a boiler might cost about £1500 to £2000, so you wouldn't normally do it just to get a more efficient boiler. (It might take many years for the savings on your gas bill to add up to the cost of the new boiler.)

If the boiler can't do what you want it to (e.g. provide enough hot water, heat up the house effectively), that might be a reason to change it - perhaps to a more powerful one.

Otherwise, the main reason to replace a boiler is when it becomes uneconomic to maintain and repair.

A heating engineer (as opposed to a plumber) could look at the system, to confirm that it works ok, and perhaps indicate what might need replacing soon and/or how much economic life is left in the boiler.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 5,272 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    Actually just found a "rating" of the boiler here - http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/efficiency-tables.php?model=010444

Doesn't sound too bad at all.
    Originally posted by BishBashBosh86
    So the oldest it could possibly be is 12 years old! Hardly "needs" replacing (assuming it works).
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 12th Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 5,048 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    Agree entirely with the never replace a working boiler posts. A lot of buyers seem paranoid about boilers, but if parts are still available, it can be fixed if and when it breaks down.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 4,596 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    'They don't make them like they used to'. New boilers appear to have a shorter life span than the older ones, so I'd leave it be until it breaks down beyond economic repair.

Ours was 34 years old when it was replaced, though the combi we now have is more convenient for just two people, as we only heat the water we need.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 39,616 Posts
    • 45,111 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    ....... our initial thoughts were the boiler looked old and would need replacing.........
    There is money in the budget to cover getting a new boiler.....
    Originally posted by BishBashBosh86
    So you've budgeted for a new boiler. Then why get it inspected by an engineer (not plumber)?
    Move in, see if it does what you need (heat & hot water). If it does, great, if it doesn't, you've got the money for a replcement.

Meantime, check it yourself on your next visit:

Do the radiators get hot? Does hot water come out of the taps? If you turn the thermostat down/up, does the boiler go off/on?

Not really rocket science.

You could even take a portable CO alarm and leave it by the boiler wile you measure up for curtains If it goes off, you know there's a problem, if it doesn't, well at least you know there's no CO risk!
    • Fishingtime
    • By Fishingtime 12th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    Fishingtime
    If the house feels like it is the house for you, worry about the boiler once you have secureed the property
    Owing on CC £00.00

It's like shooting nerds in a barrel
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

674Posts Today

6,025Users online

Martin's Twitter