Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paddeyy
    • By Paddeyy 12th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Paddeyy
    Unfair job process
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    Unfair job process 12th Mar 17 at 12:06 PM
    My work recently advertised an inhouse position and told people to apply by a certain date. Myself and 7 others applied for the position but 3 days after the closing date we were told they were giving the job to one of the applicants. No explanation and no interview for anyone. My company is well known for having a "favourites" reputation when it comes to things at work. Is this right that they can just give the job to him after we have applied and before people say maybe he was the most suitable for the job, I was doing this job about 7 months before him whilst covering the original persons sickness.
Page 1
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 12th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    Perhaps you didn't display the aptitude they were looking for when you covered the role. Did you go through a competitive process to get that role?

Unless their decision making was discriminatory, there is nothing unlawful in what they have done.
    • Paddeyy
    • By Paddeyy 12th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Paddeyy
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    There was no competitive process. I got praised when I covered the job, got told I did it better than the actual person who did it. This is the second time I have gone for this position. The first time I was the most experienced for the role buy they gave it to a lad who had no experience but he was one of the boss's favourites. If my company had done interviews and then have it him I would accept it, my issue is they made us apply and never gave us a fair chance of getting it.
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 12th Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 16,960 Posts
    • 37,398 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    I can understand your frustration but there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately.

All you could do in theory is raise a grievance, but that won't get you what you want and realistically it'll only make things worse.

If you want to move up in your career it's looking like you'll have to look for opportunities elsewhere imho.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 9,409 Posts
    • 7,375 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    An employer can offer a job to whoever they want to, even the least suitable applicant, providing that they do not offend employment discrimination legislation and the applicant has the legal right to work in the UK and has the necessary qualifications should these be required by law or best practice.

If you do not like their selection process and/or feel you are not making the progress you should be, then perhaps it is time to look for another job
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 12th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 6,097 Posts
    • 4,637 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    my issue is they made us apply and never gave us a fair chance of getting it.
    Originally posted by Paddeyy
    Being invited to apply maybe, being made to apply, I doubt it.
    • Paddeyy
    • By Paddeyy 12th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Paddeyy
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    Yeah, sorry I worded that wrong. I meant invited not made
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 12th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    This is how it works as you know, its not what you know, its who you know, that's just a fact of life. Advertising the job was just a formality.

Oh yeah to answer your question, yes they can give the job to whoever they want.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 12th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 6,000 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    What would you or the other applicants have told them in an interview that they didn't already know? There can be many reasons that an employer feels it is best to appoint someone when looking at the bigger picture.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 12th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 18,569 Posts
    • 18,835 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Might they also have awarded the job based on the applications made? Perhaps the successful candidate made an exceptional showing on paper....
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 12th Mar 17, 10:42 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,654 Thanks
    daytona0
    Even if they had someone lined up I don't see how they could NOT at least give an interview to someone who had been covering the job for 7 months! Common sense says that they would at least humor you for the mere fact that you'd be the go-to person for any future periods of sickness!

Suspecting one of two things:

1. You aren't actually that good and they've known that for a long time now!

2. The employer is rubbish and you should be doing everything in your power to find a place where your talents and skills are respected.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Mar 17, 10:45 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Exact thing happened to me a while back. At one point a totally new position ( with a higher salary) was created and the bosses favourite was given the role. Nobody was even invited to apply! It would be virtually impossible to do anything unless you believe its due to discrimination. Unfortunately there is no law against favouritism.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    • 15,087 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    motorguy

its not what you know, its who you know,
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    Or what you know about who you know....
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 13th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 5,646 Posts
    • 7,398 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    They may have felt, as internal candidates, that they had sufficient information and experience of you all that they could make the decison without a further interview. It doesn't ean that they didn't give fair consideration to your application.

Depending on the size and bnature of your organisation, they may also have policies which they have to follow, for instance, some organisations are required to advertise jobs internally and externally even where they already havea preferred candidate. (My sister had to re-apply for her own job a few years ago. Her job is pretty specialalist and the job description was writen with her in mind, but they still had to jump through the hoops of advertising the job, to be allowed to keep her. (they did also try to word the ad to make it so specific that most people would not meet the riteris and would not waste their time applying: At the time she was the only person in the UK with a specific qualification, and the job description and advert specified that that was a required qualification)
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 3,681 Thanks
    TELLIT01

Depending on the size and bnature of your organisation, they may also have policies which they have to follow, for instance, some organisations are required to advertise jobs internally and externally even where they already havea preferred candidate. (My sister had to re-apply for her own job a few years ago. Her job is pretty specialalist and the job description was writen with her in mind, but they still had to jump through the hoops of advertising the job, to be allowed to keep her. (they did also try to word the ad to make it so specific that most people would not meet the riteris and would not waste their time applying
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    I got caught in that system some years ago. An organisation advertising for somebody with two totally separate skillsets, which I just happened to have. I had implemented systems from scratch for both areas, but still didn't get an interview. I did call the HR department and asked very politely if I would be wrong to assume that they had an internal candidate already, but had to advertise externally? The person I spoke to was very polite in return and simply said something along the lines of "I'm not at liberty to answer that". Had I been wrong the simple answer would have been "No, that is not the case".
    Nothing I could do about it - shame as it would have been a great job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,182Posts Today

6,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin