Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kateandpete
    • By kateandpete 12th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 132Posts
    • 49Thanks
    kateandpete
    Tumble dryer belt replacement after 14 months
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    Tumble dryer belt replacement after 14 months 12th Mar 17 at 12:05 PM
    We've just had to have the belt replaced on our Hotpoint tumble dryer. We bought it for £450ish from ao.com in Jan 2016. The belt had become frayed and slipped off during normal domestic usage. Warranty was one year. We have asked them to refund us the repair bill as it seems that this should not have been expected to happen to a relatively new machine. AO are saying this is a "wear and tear" repair rather than indicative of an intrinsic fault. Is it worth pursuing or are they right?

Thanks
Page 1
    • ljonski
    • By ljonski 12th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 3,331 Thanks
    ljonski
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    Have you googled model to see if anyone else has had this problem?
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
    • kateandpete
    • By kateandpete 12th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    kateandpete
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    I've just done that and nothing's showing up. I think it was a very new model when we bought so not sure how common they are.
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 12th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    After six months it is up to you to prove that it is an inherent fault, by producing an independent report, which they then have the option to replace, repair or refund pro rata amount. Did you contact them before you had it repaired or did you just get it repaired without contacting them?
    mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • kateandpete
    • By kateandpete 12th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    kateandpete
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    I contacted them first. They said to send a report demonstrating the fault etc. The receipt i have states that the belt had slipped and become frayed. AO are saying that this does not confirm it was faulty when supplied. I'm not sure how anyone would go about proving this though as surely it's an issue of durability. Is it reasonable to expect to replace a part on a £450 machine after 14 months normal usage? It's not the end of the world if I don't get the ££ back if it is a fair wear and tear issue though. Thanks
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 12th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    Your report would have to show that it was inherently faulty from outset i.e. it faulty from purchase. So the person who produced it would have to determine that. If they could not said that it was faulty from day one then AO have acted correctly.
    mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • CoolHotCold
    • By CoolHotCold 12th Mar 17, 11:05 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    CoolHotCold
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:05 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:05 PM
    Even then, with the required report, you did not give AO the opportunity to rectify the problem.

I'm afraid legally you're on a hiding to nowhere.
    • bris
    • By bris 13th Mar 17, 12:49 AM
    • 6,627 Posts
    • 5,649 Thanks
    bris
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:49 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:49 AM
    A belt is a wear and tear item, how is anyone supposed to know how much you use it?

The fact you couldn't find another with the problem is also an indication that it's not a common fault so hinders your case even more.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Mar 17, 5:45 AM
    • 25,112 Posts
    • 9,967 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:45 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:45 AM
    Are the pulleys aligned correctly? Any odd wear patterns or shiny spots
    on the pulleys or anything near where the belt runs?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,706Posts Today

7,770Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin