Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boatman
    • By boatman 12th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 3,369Posts
    • 2,355Thanks
    boatman
    Babyboomers ruined it for the rest of us
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    Babyboomers ruined it for the rest of us 12th Mar 17 at 11:42 AM
    There is a lot in the media about pensioners struggling. But given they were the ones demanding higher and higher pay, going on strike every 5 minutes, opening the door to cheap foreign imports. Do they have a right to complain from their half a million pound houses when the young can't buy a house?
Page 8
    • Lanzarote1938
    • By Lanzarote1938 13th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    Lanzarote1938
    Seems I'm not going to get an answer, from the BBBs, on this thread either. Oh, I forgot to mention that as well as the luminous socks and Alice Band, as my 9th birthday gifts, I had a toy post office set and my Mum kindly announced that I didn't have to wear a liberty bodice any more.
    Originally posted by SandraScarlett
    We had the weekly dose of Virol. Scotts Emulsion if we were lucky...tasted a bit better.
    • evenasus
    • By evenasus 13th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 8,175 Posts
    • 18,161 Thanks
    evenasus
    Sadly the younger generation seem to have other things on their minds
    Originally posted by fussypensioner
    Like they can't wait to get their first tattoo or boob job.
    Originally posted by tesuhoha
    Or going out and drinking themselves into oblivion.

I just caught part of a programme on ITV following paramedics and ambulances being called out time and time again in just one night. And it happening all over the country.
    I know- it's fronted by Jeremy Kyle - Can't stand the man. I just tried to ignore him.

http://www.itv.com/hub/kyle-files/2a3238a0015
    Current affairs series. Jeremy Kyle investigates the dangers of a night out in Britain. He spends a Saturday night in Norwich, which has surprisingly been named the fourth worst city in the UK for drink-related hospital admissions. He joins paramedics on a busy night shift and visits the city's SOS bus where volunteers look after those who have had too much to drink, taking the costly burden away from the Ambulance Service and A and E. The team also visit Birmingham and see the abuse paramedics suffer from those who have overindulged.
    The time for saving for a house deposit, is before you marry/live together/have children.
    Save for what you want to buy
    • Miski
    • By Miski 13th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 3,943 Posts
    • 7,962 Thanks
    Miski
    There is a lot in the media about pensioners struggling. But given they were the ones demanding higher and higher pay, going on strike every 5 minutes, opening the door to cheap foreign imports. Do they have a right to complain from their half a million pound houses when the young can't buy a house?
    Originally posted by boatman
    I'm not going to cry for pensioner's. Maybe it it is time to get rid of the triple lock.
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 13th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 8,439 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    Andy L
    Aargh! The dreaded liberty bodice!

Now then Millennials, consider the above and having done so, now do you agree that, having had to endure the rubber buttons on these devilish items, buttons that fought back, now do you agree that we deserve our state pensions?

Originally posted by Pyxis
    pleasure delayed is pleasure enhanced
    • Sjc1973
    • By Sjc1973 13th Mar 17, 11:41 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Sjc1973
    To My Baby Boomer Mother,

You are a true example of the sacrifices your generation made for the likes my mine!

You worked two jobs to provide the basics, school excursions, holidays, Christmases and birthdays. I was immature and sometimes ungrateful. I felt ashamed when you bought second hand things, I did not understand that providing for my needs and wants came at a price.

I got kicked out of school -all my own fault. I bounced from one low paid job to another. I would not blame you if you were disappointed with my choices back then.

In my 20s I took some responsibility, went to university and studied for a vocational degree! I don't blame you for not taking me seriously, I had not proved capable at sticking to anything! However, the day I graduated no one was more proud then you.

But this was your degree too. In the middle of my studies, I broke up from my boyfriend and came home with my dog ( who you grew to love)! I treated your home like a hotel. I took extra student loans and spent it on clothes, holidays and night clubs!!! I was living the dream!

I showed no value for money. You wanted me to save - no chance!! BUT you made sure I contributed to the household and SOME! You had a good reason for that, which I learned later.

In my early 30s I broke up with yet another boyfriend. I had a good job but nothing else - no savings and a whopping great student loan!!! Yet again you threw me a lifeline. 'Come back home and save for a mortgage'. This time I listened - I finally grew up!

At 36 I finally got on the housing market! I wanted to prove I was now responsible. You wanted to financially support me with 'only what i took off you before' You owe me nothing!!

i think about you in your 20s and 30s. You were never able to enjoy them like I did. You could not afford to screw up, as you had no parents to fall back on as life expectancy was much shorter then. You always had to be responsible!

I am now 43, you 64 living a comfortable life! I will probably have to work beyond your age and will not have the pension and other benefits you have! Do I begrudge you? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Anything of benefit in my life is because of your unconditional love and support which I tested many times. This is an extremely edited version of what you have done for me and I will always be grateful - THANKYOU xxxxx
    Last edited by Sjc1973; 13-03-2017 at 11:45 PM.
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 14th Mar 17, 12:07 AM
    • 16,069 Posts
    • 41,989 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    I don't claim that older people had it easy, I don't think that at all, what I am saying is that every generation goes through change cause life is constantly evolving.

I was commenting when someone saying that youngsters today can't afford this and that because life is too cushy and back in the days they had to do whatever sacrifice it's ridiculous.

What happened in the past belongs there, even your reference about the EU. "We were trying to save you from yourselves." who says those things?? Yoda?

I have respect about what older people have to say and happy to listen though it needs to be balanced as well and not a one way road.

It's easy to say that back in 1960 young people saved and had no mobile phones and now the youngster need the latest gadgets, but it's also fairly real that today for younger people the world is extremely connected and being without a phone or an internet connection is like being without a limb.

Older generation need to let go and embrace change cause they will not be able to recreate the past and need to understand that the curve of how life is changing is accelerating to a pace they have also not experience either and therefore have also no experience.

I don't think 50 is old, I don't even think 70 or 80 is old. I consider people old when they're too attached to memories of their youth and feel as they're trying to recreate or projecting those days and imposing on the current younger generation.
    Originally posted by always_sunny
    I disagree with you when you say the the older generation have not experienced rapid change. If you look at how we were in the 50s to how life had changed in the 1970s, that was one of the most massive changes in history. However, you weren't there so I suppose you won't really know. You can look at films taken at the time which might help.

It also seems a bit immature to pick on a phrase that a person has used and suggest that it belongs in the past and Yoda might have said it. You cannot expect someone of an older generation to know and use the slang and terminology of today.That doesn't mean they are living in the past, just that they are of an older generation. You cannot wipe out someone's way of speaking just because you don't like it.

I am not against progress. I have a Facebook and Twitter account myself and a mobile phone, although it is only a very basic one. I am fairly clued up with computers. I recently helped someone to get their soundbar working. However, you talk as if making sacrifices for something you want is a bad thing.

All I was saying was that if a young person wants to buy a house then they need to do what we did - which is to work and save money instead of spending it. Its still possible to do that nowadays and even have a mobile phone and an internet connection, maybe not the latest Iphone but still. It does not mean that the past is being re-created. How else should someone get what they want - take out credit? Buying whatever you want and then complaining you don't have enough money is not what I call progress. As far as I am concerned and I am sorry if it is an old fashioned principle, if you are really determined to buy a house then you can do it by working, saving and even studying for a better job. If people don't do that then maybe house ownership will be assigned to history too.

As for your rather patronising summing up of how the curve of life is changing - where do you think all this progress came from? Where do you think computers came from? In the last 50 years or so there has been a huge leap in technology all invented and designed by older people. Children didn't invent the modern world. We all worked towards it to give our children a better life. We built the whole infrastructure of the country up after WWII. We worked so that future generations would have it easier, just as our parents fought in the war for us. We expected no gratitude and I would not even be reminding you of this if you had not given your view that older people should not have a say.. Every part of modern communication technology originated from us. We are part of it whether you like it or not.
    Last edited by tesuhoha; 14-03-2017 at 12:09 AM.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

The best kept secret is an open secret.

A vacuum is nature's default state.
    • Vicky123
    • By Vicky123 14th Mar 17, 12:12 AM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 8,803 Thanks
    Vicky123
    Or going out and drinking themselves into oblivion.

I just caught part of a programme on ITV following paramedics and ambulances being called out time and time again in just one night. And it happening all over the country.
    I know- it's fronted by Jeremy Kyle - Can't stand the man. I just tried to ignore him.

http://www.itv.com/hub/kyle-files/2a3238a0015
    Originally posted by evenasus
    Was it about OAP's out on the stir recklessly wasting valuable NHS resources?
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 14th Mar 17, 12:18 AM
    • 16,069 Posts
    • 41,989 Thanks
    tesuhoha

You are a true example of the sacrifices your generation made for the likes my mine!

You worked two jobs to provide the basics, school excursions, holidays, Christmases and birthdays. I was immature and sometimes ungrateful. I felt ashamed when you bought second hand things, I did not understand that providing for my needs and wants came at a price.

I got kicked out of school -all my own fault. I bounced from one low paid job to another. I would not blame you if you were disappointed with my choices back then.

In my 20s I took some responsibility, went to university and studied for a vocational degree! I don't blame you for not taking me seriously, I had not proved capable at sticking to anything! However, the day I graduated no one was more proud then you.

But this was your degree too. In the middle of my studies, I broke up from my boyfriend and came home with my dog ( who you grew to love)! I treated your home like a hotel. I took extra student loans and spent it on clothes, holidays and night clubs!!! I was living the dream!

I showed no value for money. You wanted me to save - no chance!! BUT you made sure I contributed to the household and SOME! You had a good reason for that, which I learned later.

In my early 30s I broke up with yet another boyfriend. I had a good job but nothing else - no savings and a whopping great student loan!!! Yet again you threw me a lifeline. 'Come back home and save for a mortgage'. This time I listened - I finally grew up!

At 36 I finally got on the housing market! I wanted to prove I was now responsible. You wanted to financially support me with 'only what i took off you before' You owe me nothing!!

i think about you in your 20s and 30s. You were never able to enjoy them like I did. You could not afford to screw up, as you had no parents to fall back on as life expectancy was much shorter then. You always had to be responsible!

I am now 43, you 64 living a comfortable life! I will probably have to work beyond your age and will not have the pension and other benefits you have! Do I begrudge you? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Anything of benefit in my life is because of your unconditional love and support which I tested many times. This is an extremely edited version of what you have done for me and I will always be grateful - THANKYOU xxxxx
    Originally posted by Sjc1973
    I think that it is great that you appreciate what your mother did for you. It seems that not many do.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

The best kept secret is an open secret.

A vacuum is nature's default state.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Mar 17, 6:46 AM
    • 28,946 Posts
    • 105,924 Thanks
    Pyxis
    If you haven't already done so, do, please, give that letter to your mother.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Mar 17, 6:58 AM
    • 15,247 Posts
    • 123,872 Thanks
    JackieO
    Great letter to your Mum she should be proud to have got you on the right road at last ,well done for appreciating her efforts.
    The dreaded liberty bodices !!! today if you tried to get a child to wear one you would probably be locked up for child abuse and the child given counselling

I voted for the first time on my 21st birthday and I was so chuffed to be able to do it Best present in the world I thought and so apt that it happened on my birthday I have voted in every election since whether local or national. You know the saying if you don't vote you can't complain about the result
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • lush walrus
    • By lush walrus 14th Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 1,571 Thanks
    lush walrus
    Reading through this thread is an indicator of what we have become.

We can't blame any of the ism's for our failures so now it's the turn of our elders. Some of which are retaliating with blaming their children and grandchildren's generation for the troubles of the UK.

Is it acceptable to blame immigrants for the way things are, or white / black people only? Is it acceptable to blame the disabled? Blame women? No its not is it - so why exactly is it ok to blame and point fingers at this generation or that.

All of us should take responsibility for ourselves, for educating our children and for helping generations above us. While we spend our time looking to blame nothing will grow, we will not grow, the UK will continue to nose dive - does that feel ok just because we can assign blame to someone for drawing a pension? Look to yourselves first.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 14th Mar 17, 8:04 AM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    I want a Ferrari, I can't really afford one unless I give up other things. I don't want to give up any of these other things. Who should I blame?
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 14th Mar 17, 8:06 AM
    • 26,013 Posts
    • 32,903 Thanks
    peter_the_piper

Brilliant letter and so true except for 1 point (in most cases) Dads are there to. From 13 on mine was the shoulder to cry on when Mum got so frustrated with DD, and I bet I'm not the only one.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 14th Mar 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    decbel
    Was it about OAP's out on the stir recklessly wasting valuable NHS resources?
    Originally posted by Vicky123
    And the sexual infections.

Old ravers getting it on.
    • latest flame
    • By latest flame 14th Mar 17, 9:39 AM
    • 856 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    latest flame
    Reading through this thread is an indicator of what we have become.

We can't blame any of the ism's for our failures so now it's the turn of our elders. Some of which are retaliating with blaming their children and grandchildren's generation for the troubles of the UK.

Is it acceptable to blame immigrants for the way things are, or white / black people only? Is it acceptable to blame the disabled? Blame women? No its not is it - so why exactly is it ok to blame and point fingers at this generation or that.

All of us should take responsibility for ourselves, for educating our children and for helping generations above us. While we spend our time looking to blame nothing will grow, we will not grow, the UK will continue to nose dive - does that feel ok just because we can assign blame to someone for drawing a pension? Look to yourselves first.
    Originally posted by lush walrus
    Good post.
    I think you hit the nail on the head.
    We boomers went through unemployment, financial disasters, wars, diseases, etc etc. I dont once recall thinking about blaming someone else, life was what it was, we just got on with it.
    As did previous generations, why is it suddenly we have a generation(or two) so weak they cant just get on with it? I brought my kids up to believe if you want something go get it yourself, because as sure as hell bleating wont get it for you.
    Maybe thats the problem, did our generation bring up entitled kids?
    If so then yes you can blame the boomers.........................but not this one.
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 14th Mar 17, 9:58 AM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 5,610 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    I don't claim that older people had it easy, I don't think that at all, what I am saying is that every generation goes through change cause life is constantly evolving. I agree

I was commenting when someone saying that youngsters today can't afford this and that because life is too cushy and back in the days they had to do whatever sacrifice it's ridiculous.

What happened in the past belongs there, even your reference about the EU. "We were trying to save you from yourselves." who says those things?? Yoda? We have to draw on our experiences in the past to learn from any mistakes that we made to avoid making them again. They say the mistakes of war for example only last for one generation.

I have respect about what older people have to say and happy to listen though it needs to be balanced as well and not a one way road. I agree we always need a balance

It's easy to say that back in 1960 young people saved and had no mobile phones and now the youngster need the latest gadgets, but it's also fairly real that today for younger people the world is extremely connected and being without a phone or an internet connection is like being without a limb. I think a lot of older people have embraced technology, we like our mobile phones and internet too, but it doesn't dominate our lives.

Older generation need to let go and embrace change cause they will not be able to recreate the past and need to understand that the curve of how life is changing is accelerating to a pace they have also not experience either and therefore have also no experience. We all embrace the change that we think will benefit us. None of us have any experience of the future, but I personally can't wait to get a robot Butler.

I don't think 50 is old, I don't even think 70 or 80 is old. I consider people old when they're too attached to memories of their youth and feel as they're trying to recreate or projecting those days and imposing on the current younger generation.
    Originally posted by always_sunny
    We do like to reminisce, but only with people of our own age. There is nothing so boring to young people as to hear oldies banging on about the good old days. We have to adapt to different levels of communication depending on who we are speaking to, I think older people are quite good at that.
    Holding back the years...
    • boatman
    • By boatman 14th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    boatman
    I was getting on a bus the other day, and a woman behind me in the queue was ranting, how young people are never off their phones, how she can't stand computers, everything has to be done online, and call centres, she just wants to talk to someone..
    She didn't come across as well educated, but what did strike me was the similarity with the thoughts on immigrants. On the whole those who have daily contact with immigrants realise they are not here to milk us dry but are here for a better life. In the same way, if this woman had proper training and daily contact with a computer i think she would see the benefit and not shun the unknown.

As for the call centres, they should be banned!!
    • ukcarper
    • By ukcarper 14th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    • 11,576 Posts
    • 12,109 Thanks
    ukcarper
    I was getting on a bus the other day, and a woman behind me in the queue was ranting, how young people are never off their phones, how she can't stand computers, everything has to be done online, and call centres, she just wants to talk to someone..
    She didn't come across as well educated, but what did strike me was the similarity with the thoughts on immigrants. On the whole those who have daily contact with immigrants realise they are not here to milk us dry but are here for a better life. In the same way, if this woman had proper training and daily contact with a computer i think she would see the benefit and not shun the unknown.

All this talking about old people and as the thread is a boomers I assume you are including them not embracing technology is rubbish, I've been using computers for a long time, possibly since before you were born. The majority of my friends use, tablets and mobile phones.
    • wolvoman
    • By wolvoman 14th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    wolvoman
    Sorry but I am going to have a rant. Today several times under different headings and topics in and on the media, I have heard the statement " older people have had it too good, for too long. " I know older people who have retired and travel round the world, something I'll never be able to afford". And " why should youngsters supplement pensions for the elderly".
    Well at 67 let me tell these 'ignorant' young people, I and many others of my age left school at 15 and have worked, paid, and still paying my taxes, National insurance and paid into a private pension in readiness for my retirement. NO ONE SUPPLEMENTS me. I get out of the system the money I put into it. When I married at nineteen Until my second child was born I washed my washing in the bath tub, we didn't have a mobile phone each, we didn't have a car each, we didn't smoke, we didn't go out to nightclubs etc, we didn't have super Dooper buses that took our prams or pushchairs. You try getting on a bus with all your shopping, folding down a pushchair and holding onto a child in the other arm. We didn't go on holidays when the interest rates on houses was ll to 15% because we couldn't afford both. We bought a tiny property that we could afford, had second hand furniture while we worked to better ourselves, and we walked our kids to school because we couldn't afford a car. But through hard work and savings,( not buying all the materialistic stuff people seem to think its their right to have today) it provided us with a good retirement that we are enjoying now. Our pension IS NOT A BENEFIT its money paid out to us that has been paid in by us. Those youngsters that keep moaning about how hard it is today, I suggest you prioritize your spending, you too may then be able to enjoy your well EARNED retirement too. I apologise to those more understanding and less ignorant youngsters.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    If you're on a contribution pension scheme then you are just taking out what you've paid in.

If you're on a defined benefits scheme then you almost certainly have NOT contributed as much as you're now taking out.

And as to the state pension, on average, current pensioners will take out FAR more than they've ever contributed.

(of course if you were a higher earner then you probably did pay in more than you'll receive).
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 14th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 29,455 Posts
    • 82,416 Thanks
    Marisco

That is not confined to old people though, many want to actually talk to a real person, including myself (67) daughter (47) and granddaughter (25) As for computers, I've been using one since 1992!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

401Posts Today

3,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin