Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boatman
    • By boatman 12th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 3,209Posts
    • 2,248Thanks
    boatman
    Babyboomers ruined it for the rest of us
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    Babyboomers ruined it for the rest of us 12th Mar 17 at 11:42 AM
    There is a lot in the media about pensioners struggling. But given they were the ones demanding higher and higher pay, going on strike every 5 minutes, opening the door to cheap foreign imports. Do they have a right to complain from their half a million pound houses when the young can't buy a house?
Page 7
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 25,887 Posts
    • 93,291 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Aren't you contradicting yourself a bit here? Or at least the bashers on this thread (for want of a better name) claim that we all had it easy 60 years ago.

We voted for Leave because we want to bring back some of the better aspects of life before the EU, not the harsh conditions or the lack of modern technology but the freedom, the controlled immigration, the power of British law, the ability for a working class person in an ordinary job to buy a house.

Young people have only known the EU so they have no idea what life was like before and therefore could not have a full concept of what they were voting for. We were trying to save you from yourselves. You may have no respect for the opinion of older people who have lived a long life but I would say ignore them at your peril.

Incidentally I would not say that 50 is old. Do you want to live in some kind of Hunger Games world where its survival of the fittest, because that is where we are headed?
    Originally posted by tesuhoha
    Out of all the people over 50 that I know, only one voted to leave, and I'm not in London, Scotland or N.Ireland either.
    Plus loads of people of eligible ages didn't vote at all, so please don't lump all retired people into the Brexit department.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..

X ~O
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 13th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 15,850 Posts
    • 41,291 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    Out of all the people over 50 that I know, only one voted to leave, and I'm not in London, Scotland or N.Ireland either.
    Plus loads of people of eligible ages didn't vote at all, so please don't lump all retired people into the Brexit department.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Well the bashers seem to have. Personally, I know a balance of people that have voted both ways. However, I hope I have not caused offence.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

The best kept secret is an open secret.

A vacuum is nature's default state.
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 13th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    Londonsu
    Yes boomers voted 3 to 2 to leave but the they turned out to vote in numbers, if younger people had turned out in the same numbers we probably wouldn't be leaving now.
    Originally posted by ukcarper

I have asked this before but no-one answered so will ask again , what proportion of the 135,000 people at Glastonbury which was on at the same time as the referendum actually bothered to get a postal vote even though the date was known well beforehand and it was also made clear there would not be a polling station at the site because of the way voting works.

Seems to me that dancing about in the mud was more important than voting for a lot of people
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 13th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 15,850 Posts
    • 41,291 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    Well the bashers seem to have. Personally, I know a balance of people that have voted both ways. However, I hope I have not caused offence.
    To add to that I would say that in any TV debate or in media discussion, older people are generally blamed for Brexit so its easy to slip into that way of thinking.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 25,887 Posts
    • 93,291 Thanks
    Pyxis
    You're ok!
    It's just that, despite being over 50, I know I'm not responsible for all the 'evils' in the world!

It reminds me of an ex who blamed me repeatedly in the early 80s for the Thatcher government.
    He seemed to be deaf to the fact that I had voted Liberal at the time.

(Hence why he became an ex. ).
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

X ~O
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 13th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 15,850 Posts
    • 41,291 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    You're ok!
    It's just that, despite being over 50, I know I'm not responsible for all the 'evils' in the world!

It reminds me of an ex who blamed me repeatedly in the early 80s for the Thatcher government.

Well, if it turns out badly the older generation will go down in history for voting for Brexit. I did not vote for Thatcher either but am constantly blamed for it.

• peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 13th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 25,559 Posts
    • 32,034 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    You're ok!

Bet he didn't like spiders, moths and wasps either.
    Millies next back in July.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 25,887 Posts
    • 93,291 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Bet he didn't like spiders, moths and wasps either.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper

Nah, nor blackbirds!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

X ~O
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 13th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 5,398 Thanks
    fussypensioner

At what age do you think folks should say, 'you know what, time I let a younger generation make decisions cause I am not longer going to be directly impacted much longer'?
    Originally posted by always_sunny

You are complaining that most MP's are over 50 and that the younger generation will end up living through the decisions that they haven't been able to make! Well why do you think that is? Why aren't the younger generation interested in politics or in being a politician. Its because they are disinterested in society, because they are younger they have never developed an interest in politics. Their priorities are different to ours.

Unless the younger generation adopt a different attitude, there will always be an imbalance in voting.

Older people reside in your family why don't you tell them how you feel. Its doubtful that a conversation will start with Mum I want to become a politician I want to stop moaning about the injustices in this country and start to make a difference.
    Holding back the years...
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    • 25,887 Posts
    • 93,291 Thanks
    Pyxis
    [/B]

You are complaining that most MP's are over 50 and that the younger generation will end up living through the decisions that they haven't been able to make! Well why do you think that is? Why aren't the younger generation interested in politics or in being a politician. Its because they are disinterested in society, because they are younger they have never developed an interest in politics. Their priorities are different to ours.

Unless the younger generation adopt a different attitude, there will always be an imbalance in voting.

Older people reside in your family why don't you tell them how you feel. Its doubtful that a conversation will start with Mum I want to become a politician I want to stop moaning about the injustices in this country and start to make a difference.
    Originally posted by fussypensioner
    That's interesting, actually.
    I couldn't wait to reach the age of maturity and so be able to vote. It was like a rite of passage.
    I can even remember the very first time I went to vote and how nervous I was in case I made a mistake!

I can honestly say that I have voted at every election, national and local, ever since, except for one; I had moved house just before a local election and so was still registered on my old electoral roll. I was on a very low income so couldn't afford the train fare (no car) to travel the 140 miles to my old area to vote, and in any event, it seemed daft to vote for Councillors in an area I no longer lived in. (The days before postal votes, by the way).
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

X ~O
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 13th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 5,398 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    Well we had pride in our country. Mine was instilled in us by our parents after they went through a war. It was get the key of the door , pass driving test, and vote.

Sadly the younger generation seem to have other things on their minds.

Edit: Some of the younger generation, my kids and grandchildren are very political (without the correctness).
    Last edited by fussypensioner; 13-03-2017 at 7:55 PM. Reason: sweeping generalisation
    Holding back the years...
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 13th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 15,850 Posts
    • 41,291 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    Well we had pride in our country. Mine was instilled in us by our parents after they went through a war. It was get the key of the door , pass driving test, and vote.

Sadly the younger generation seem to have other things on their minds.

Edit: Some of the younger generation, my kids and grandchildren are very political (without the correctness).
    Originally posted by fussypensioner
    Like they can't wait to get their first tattoo or boob job.

• peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 13th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 25,559 Posts
    • 32,034 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    And that's just the blokes(and anything in between)
    Millies next back in July.
    • SandraScarlett
    • By SandraScarlett 13th Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 28,583 Thanks
    SandraScarlett
    Seems I'm not going to get an answer, from the BBBs, on this thread either. Oh, I forgot to mention that as well as the luminous socks and Alice Band, as my 9th birthday gifts, I had a toy post office set and my Mum kindly announced that I didn't have to wear a liberty bodice any more.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 25,887 Posts
    • 93,291 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Seems I'm not going to get an answer, from the BBBs, on this thread either. Oh, I forgot to mention that as well as the luminous socks and Alice Band, as my 9th birthday gifts, I had a toy post office set and my Mum kindly announced that I didn't have to wear a liberty bodice any more.
    Originally posted by SandraScarlett
    Aargh! The dreaded liberty bodice!

Now then Millennials, consider the above and having done so, now do you agree that, having had to endure the rubber buttons on these devilish items, buttons that fought back, now do you agree that we deserve our state pensions?

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

X ~O
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 13th Mar 17, 9:20 PM
    • 10,153 Posts
    • 20,964 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    What is the point of bringing up a scenario that happened in 1950??
    It is 67 years ago, whoever lived those events, by those standard would not longer be with us to tell us first hand.

How was life 67 years before that then? Do you think we should be kept it at that what was in 1880? What about 67 years earlier? Early 1800? I hope you're not a woman and not on a second marriage or with a child out of wedlock cause if we keep going back you would have been stoned before getting your wisdom teeth.

At what age do you think folks should say, 'you know what, time I let a younger generation make decisions cause I am not longer going to be directly impacted much longer'?
    Originally posted by always_sunny

So you think each generation should have it easier than the one before?

And that only the younger generation should make all the decisions?
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 13th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    • 28,559 Posts
    • 79,058 Thanks
    Marisco
    Agreed but would there not be a slippery slope? I.e if you own your house you are not entitled to a State Pension? As bugslet said where would be the incentive to work and save?
    I know what you're saying, but to me it just seems like greed if someone has an income (not house asset) of say 40/50k, and still wants their SP and all the trimmings. Must be just me, but so long as I have enough to live well, have holidays, run a car etc, then I'm happy, I don't need - or want - to accumulate more and more the older I get.
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 13th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 2,818 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    always_sunny
    Aren't you contradicting yourself a bit here? Or at least the bashers on this thread (for want of a better name) claim that we all had it easy 60 years ago.

We voted for Leave because we want to bring back some of the better aspects of life before the EU, not the harsh conditions or the lack of modern technology but the freedom, the controlled immigration, the power of British law, the ability for a working class person in an ordinary job to buy a house.

Young people have only known the EU so they have no idea what life was like before and therefore could not have a full concept of what they were voting for. We were trying to save you from yourselves. You may have no respect for the opinion of older people who have lived a long life but I would say ignore them at your peril.

Incidentally I would not say that 50 is old. Do you want to live in some kind of Hunger Games world where its survival of the fittest, because that is where we are headed?
    I don't claim that older people had it easy, I don't think that at all, what I am saying is that every generation goes through change cause life is constantly evolving.

I was commenting when someone saying that youngsters today can't afford this and that because life is too cushy and back in the days they had to do whatever sacrifice it's ridiculous.

What happened in the past belongs there, even your reference about the EU. "We were trying to save you from yourselves." who says those things?? Yoda?

I have respect about what older people have to say and happy to listen though it needs to be balanced as well and not a one way road.

It's easy to say that back in 1960 young people saved and had no mobile phones and now the youngster need the latest gadgets, but it's also fairly real that today for younger people the world is extremely connected and being without a phone or an internet connection is like being without a limb.

Older generation need to let go and embrace change cause they will not be able to recreate the past and need to understand that the curve of how life is changing is accelerating to a pace they have also not experience either and therefore have also no experience.

I don't think 50 is old, I don't even think 70 or 80 is old. I consider people old when they're too attached to memories of their youth and feel as they're trying to recreate or projecting those days and imposing on the current younger generation.
    Expat with an EU passport
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 13th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 28,559 Posts
    • 79,058 Thanks
    Marisco
    Aargh! The dreaded liberty bodice!

Now then Millennials, consider the above and having done so, now do you agree that, having had to endure the rubber buttons on these devilish items, buttons that fought back, now do you agree that we deserve our state pensions?

Oh god, I'd forgotten all about those!! Thanks for reminding me Pyxis Imagine trying to get one of those on kids today!!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Mar 17, 9:37 PM
    • 25,887 Posts
    • 93,291 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Oh god, I'd forgotten all about those!! Thanks for reminding me Pyxis Imagine trying to get one of those on kids today!!
    Originally posted by Marisco
    Well, as we're so evil, I think we should!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

X ~O
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,005Posts Today

12,808Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin