Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boatman
    • By boatman 12th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 3,171Posts
    • 2,209Thanks
    boatman
    Babyboomers ruined it for the rest of us
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    Babyboomers ruined it for the rest of us 12th Mar 17 at 11:42 AM
    There is a lot in the media about pensioners struggling. But given they were the ones demanding higher and higher pay, going on strike every 5 minutes, opening the door to cheap foreign imports. Do they have a right to complain from their half a million pound houses when the young can't buy a house?
Page 11
    • Sjc1973
    • By Sjc1973 17th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Sjc1973
    I was answering a question that asked what could be done now, I suggested that many of those perks are removed, it would save a lot of money.
    Originally posted by boatman
    I am aware you were answering the question, I read the thread. Let's move this on and get specific- if these 'Perks are removed' ( I prefer the word entitlements) who do you feel is more deserving of the money that would be saved and why are they more deserving then pensioners?
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 17th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 18,039 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Has it got a manual? It's probably online though. If you've been through the manual, there's probably a help facility, even if it's only via FAQs, or a webchat facility.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Both mum and dad can operate it fine-it's just got about a million buttons on the remote and I never know which ones to press I'm only there once every few months so I usually just ask mum to put the tv on for me- last time I was home I filled in her PIP form, looked up countless things online for her and set up her Internet Banking so she doesn't mind turning the TV on for me
    Proud to be an OU student- 3 weeks to go AA100, DD102, U214, A230, A363(Complete) E302 (TMA's complete- just EMA to go) BA Hons Eng Lang and Lit- results 07/17.
    Unofficial Waspies fan, Mr W and the beast from the east's fan club
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • BobQ
    • By BobQ 18th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 9,208 Posts
    • 11,923 Thanks
    BobQ
    And you'll never guess, but first time buyers who baulked at the hideous wreck we bought often buy them as a first home. Dreadful I know, the harm we do.
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    I like your post. Part of the problem is that most first time buyers hate the idea of doing work on a property themselves.

Not sure of the reason but it might be mortgage rules, it might be they cannot afford the costs, it might be a lack of skills or it might be plain laziness I do not know.

I am not advocating botched repairs by incompetent people but these days it is relatively easy given an empty property to rip out a kitchen or bathroom. OK you need to employ a plumber or an electrician to install some things, but there is a lot you can do your self ( running the pipes, cables and like tiling and painting). But I meet many people who simply want to buy a finished job.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 18th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 25,369 Posts
    • 31,666 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Why has this thread been moved from DT?
    Millies next back in July.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 18th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    This thread is about baby boomers not working age benefit claimants - a wholly different topic (albeit one that you and I probably agree on).

I made it VERY CLEAR in my post, and I'll re-iterate again. On AVERAGE, state pensions are not funded by the contributions made over the lifetimes of those now claiming them.

A quick 'back of an envelope' calculation can show that.
    Assume £6,200 p/a for the current state pension, and assume someone starting to receive it this year at age 65 goes on to live until 85 (according to Public Health England report in Feb 2016). Excluding inflation this comes to £124,000.

There is no way that the average 65 year old has contributed £124,000 over the course of their working life in NICs.

An alternative viewpoint is that the government received £115bn in NICs in 2015-16. These are supposed to cover the state pension and health.
    In 2015-16 state pensions cost £92bn and the NHS cost £116bn - a total of £208bn.
    Originally posted by wolvoman
    But your calculation assumes the value of NI paid 40 years ago is still worth the same now. What do you think the av wage was 40 years ago and what it is now?

Take a mid point for both contributions and pensions and re do the calculation.

Interestingly none of the calculations include EMPLOYERS NI contributions. A quick look at my last higher rate tax year P60 shows how much NI was paid by my, and by my employer for employing me for a year. Why wouldn't that count towards anything, its far higher than my contribution?
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 18th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    • 11,521 Posts
    • 44,532 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Why has this thread been moved from DT?
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    It's been in The Arms for a few days now Peter. I don't know if this is the actual case in this instance but I do know the mods/board guides will move certain threads from D.T. to The Arms so they can be seen by non members.
    • SandraScarlett
    • By SandraScarlett 19th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 28,580 Thanks
    SandraScarlett
    Sadly, for some, I suspect that their views would involve a locked door, a glass of brandy and a revolver....

WR
    Originally posted by Wild_Rover

I'm absolutely sure you're right! When I attended Secondary School, as a 1st Former, as we were then called, every other school year was a 3 form entry, but ours was made up of 4 forms, and this was the same for other Secondary Schools in the area.

So I always thought that the Baby Boomers, like myself, were born between September 1946, and August 1947. It only seems recently that "Boomers" were considered to encompass people born in 1960!
    • boatman
    • By boatman 19th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    boatman
    I am aware you were answering the question, I read the thread. Let's move this on and get specific- if these 'Perks are removed' ( I prefer the word entitlements) who do you feel is more deserving of the money that would be saved and why are they more deserving then pensioners?
    Originally posted by Sjc1973
    No one is more deserving, it's just that we can't afford them.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 19th Mar 17, 11:09 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 23,761 Thanks
    suki1964
    I am apparently a baby boomer

I left school at 15. I left on the Thursday and started work on the Friday. That's how it was. You left school and worked unless your parents could afford to keep you in college and then uni. No one I knew had those options

I rented. I worked 3 jobs to be able to afford my rent. My carpets and furniture came from a house clearance.

I met my DH. He's older then me, he has to be a baby boomer. I met him when he was living on a building site, sleeping in a half built house in a sleeping bag This was 1995.

We scrimped and saved and bought our home in 1995 It was a dump. Mortgage rates then were still around 10% and we were heading into another depression. We bought in the best area we could afford for the least amount we could afford. When I say the house was a dump, it truly was. Only the front and side walls still stand today. We totally had to gut and rebuild it whilst living in it. No nice new furniture or kitchens or phone or cars, we had a 18 yo fiesta which we needed for the 2 HR commute we had daily to get us to work to pay the mortgage

We never got lucky with shares and sell offs, we didn't have a spare penny

Our one lucky break was the rise in house prices

That was a double edged sword though because although our house value increased 3 fold in ten years, so did every other house. So we couldn't stay where I was born and bred,and had to move 500 miles to get the house we needed at a price we could afford

Neither of us are now earning in a month what we were earning in a week when we lived in London

I've had no employees NI paid in 17 years because I don't earn enough. I work. I work bloody hard, always have done. Yet I'm going to be penalised in my old age because I've not paid enough stamp. I can't afford to pay those years I've missed as voluntary contributions either because I earn NMW.

Since I left school I've had one year of not working in total. 12 weeks JSA claimed and paid for only , the rest I lived of my partner. 40 years I've worked so far. 40 years where taxes and NI has been paid when it's due. 40 years without claiming sickness, JSA or child benefit. 35 years of paying council tax, 40 years of paying extra taxes because I smoked and drank

Not all baby boomers are living the life of Riley. My peers that I know are of the same background and have had similar lives. I'm just grateful that my mortgage is cleared. Took sacrifice, but it was worth every penny. I'd be wetting myself now at my age if I did have a mortgage.

PerHaps this next generation, the so called snowflakes, need to stop blaming the rest o the world and focus on what they want, and make the sacrifices needed to make it happen
    Last edited by suki1964; 19-03-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 20th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    boatman
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/781255/chancellor-exchequer-philip-hammond-tax-pensions-cut-international-aid-budget-blackhole

New tax raid on pensions: OUTRAGE at Hammond's plans to fill £2billion budget blackhole
    • Sjc1973
    • By Sjc1973 20th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Sjc1973
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/781255/chancellor-exchequer-philip-hammond-tax-pensions-cut-international-aid-budget-blackhole

New tax raid on pensions: OUTRAGE at Hammond's plans to fill £2billion budget blackhole
    I take two things from this article 'outrage' and other options. Let's see if Mr HAMMOND even lasts until he is due to give his next statement! His judgements so far have not been viewed favourable even by his on Tory collegues, not to mention the embrassing u turn he recently made!
    Last edited by Sjc1973; 20-03-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    • Sjc1973
    • By Sjc1973 20th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Sjc1973
    No one is more deserving, it's just that we can't afford them.
    I find it interesting that you think we can't afford 'them', like we are giving older handouts. They have payed taxes to afford these entitlements. I know you have alluded to them not having paid enough but they have paid a lot more then others groups who are taking out of the system. I don't necessarily have a problem with the latter but since your posts seems to solely focus on momentary issues i can't why this group seems to be your only focus. I cannot put it more eloquently then others have on here about the vast and specific contributions - momentary and otherwise older generations have made, which is contrast to your generalised and simplistic responses. If it is about affordability for you - you need to look more widely at at government spending, rather then solely focusing on older people
    Last edited by Sjc1973; 20-03-2017 at 2:29 PM.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 20th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    boatman
    . If it is about affordability for you - you need to look more widely at at government spending, rather then solely focusing on older people
    Originally posted by Sjc1973
    Foreign aid is high on the hit list too. Inheritance tax on trusts would be another, but that would hit the ruling class, much better to stop old people having operations than sell a painting don't you think?
    Last edited by boatman; 20-03-2017 at 3:47 PM. Reason: dd
    • Sjc1973
    • By Sjc1973 20th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Sjc1973
    Foreign aid is high on the hit list too. Inheritance tax on trusts would be another, but that would hit the ruling class, much better to stop old people having operations than sell a painting don't you think?
    Ohh that's low - even for you but yes glad you are considering other options
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,664Users online

Martin's Twitter