Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keflin2612
    • By keflin2612 12th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    keflin2612
    7 years of gold
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    7 years of gold 12th Mar 17 at 11:40 AM
    Hi, my name is Kevin and I’m from the UK.
    I paid my mortgage off in 2011 but kept my endowment running. The endowment has now matured and I have £23,000 in the bank “doing nothing” and I wanted to know if it would be worth me investing the 23000 in gold bullion. I have seven years to go before I retire and may or may not need it back when I do.
    If I do (depending on the answerers I get from here) I need to know where the best place is for me to buy “as I’m in the UK” and where is the best place for me to sell when the time comes, also is it better to invest in bars or coins.
    Finally is it a good time to INVEST NOW.
    Thanks.
    Kevin.
Page 2
    • atush
    • By atush 13th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 16,100 Posts
    • 9,806 Thanks
    atush
    Self-imposed "expert"
    Originally posted by Gadfium
    Fanatic or ramper might better describe.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 13th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 9,372 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    If you are really keen on gold and have a DC pension, you could always transfer it to one of the non-mass-market SIPP firms that allows you to invest in gold bullion and other non-standard assets.

Or you could wait to see whether the Royal Mint strikes a deal with one of the mass market firms.

Anyway, whatever the attractions of having 5% or 10% of your portfolio in precious metals, how are you going to store them safely?

From an American blogger: "The most disappointing feature of the year was in the category of personal savings. I have managed net savings every year, including those that included paying for college educations. This year, however, began poorly when my gold dealer got robbed and lost my gold. My losses paled in comparison to his; he committed suicide."
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 14th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 4,742 Thanks
    Biggles
    From an American blogger: "The most disappointing feature of the year was in the category of personal savings. I have managed net savings every year, including those that included paying for college educations. This year, however, began poorly when my gold dealer got robbed and lost my gold. My losses paled in comparison to his; he committed suicide."
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    So not only was he dumb enough to buy gold, he stored it with an uninsured dealer. Not clever.
    • atush
    • By atush 14th Mar 17, 1:21 PM
    • 16,100 Posts
    • 9,806 Thanks
    atush
    Physical gold etf, and jewelry to wear. The only way I hold gold (apart from a few coins gifted to us by my mother).

And I am not buying any at these prices.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,401Posts Today

9,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin