Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kerpunk
    • By kerpunk 12th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    kerpunk
    increased car premium when changing address
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    increased car premium when changing address 12th Mar 17 at 11:20 AM
    Hi All,

Just want some advice. I am moving to a new address, so i logged into my online account with the insurance company to update my details.

Anyway, for the remainder of the cover (approx 8 months) - I have had to fork out almost £150 more.

I knew there might be a slight increase, but certainly not this steep. Has anybody else had similar situations, and is this normal?

Obviously I had no choice but to pay it, but is there anything that can be done, or is this a standard insurance rip off?

Be interesting to know if they would have given me a rebate had it been moving the other way round.

Thanks and look forward to your responses.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 88,146 Posts
    • 53,373 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    Has anybody else had similar situations, and is this normal?
    its normal if you move to an increased risk area.

or is this a standard insurance rip off?
    No its not a rip off. Some people get reductions. Some pay more.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • kerpunk
    • By kerpunk 12th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kerpunk
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    thanks.... like i said I expected it to be a slight increase, maybe £50 tops, but not soo much. the area i;ve moved to seems pretty quiet.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 12th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 669 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    Are you a Pricing Analyst and experienced to price a risk then?
    • kerpunk
    • By kerpunk 12th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kerpunk
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    no i didn;t say that, i was just surprised it was so steep, if it's normal, then fair enough. are you?
    • rs65
    • By rs65 12th Mar 17, 11:50 AM
    • 5,110 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    rs65
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:50 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:50 AM
    Be interesting to know if they would have given me a rebate had it been moving the other way round.
    Originally posted by kerpunk
    I had a rebate on two car policies and a home policy last time I moved.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 12th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 3,002 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    huckster
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    To be honest, Insurers do target existing customers making changes to policies mid term to make money from. Not only will there probably be an admin fee, even if you are doing the amendment yourself online, but also the rate may be higher than the new customer rate.

If you want to check on this and challenge your Insurers, see if you can get a new customer quote with the same company. If there is a major difference between the existing customer rate and new customer rate, you could make a complaint to see whether they will refund some of the extra you have paid. There is nothing compelling Insurers to do this, because Insurers do offer discounted new customer rates, which are not available to existing customers.

As others have said, a new address, means than the risk premium is subject to recalculation. But you can check in the way suggested and complain if necessary.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,892Posts Today

9,417Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin