Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zade
    • By Zade 12th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Zade
    Advise about tax avoidance on assets that will never be realised.
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    Advise about tax avoidance on assets that will never be realised. 12th Mar 17 at 11:14 AM
    I am an executor and beneficiary of my late mother's estate. I own my own home but have no real cash after paying the mortgage each month or savings. We submitted probate but the final tax amount is still not resolved. My mother had 50% interest in overseas assets of land that can't be owned by a U.K. Citizen. There will be no cooperation from my mothers x-husband who owns the title of the properties. It seams very unlikely if not impossible to sell or otherwise realise these assets even though the land is theoretically valued in the £millions now. I don't want to, and indeed can't afford to pay 40% tax on £millions of assets that I will never see a penny of. What can I do?
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 12th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    I am an executor and beneficiary of my late mother's estate. I own my own home but have no real cash after paying the mortgage each month or savings. We submitted probate but the final tax amount is still not resolved. My mother had 50% interest in overseas assets of land that can't be owned by a U.K. Citizen. There will be no cooperation from my mothers x-husband who owns the title of the properties. It seams very unlikely if not impossible to sell or otherwise realise these assets even though the land is theoretically valued in the £millions now. I don't want to, and indeed can't afford to pay 40% tax on £millions of assets that I will never see a penny of. What can I do?
    Originally posted by Zade
    If the overseas property cannot be held by a UK citizen why was it included in the estate valuation? You need paid for professional advice.
    • securityguy
    • By securityguy 12th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 3,572 Thanks
    securityguy
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    "We submitted probate"

DIY? On a complex estate involving overseas land holdings whose title is difficult to convey?

Wow. That's confidence. Or something.

You should have had professional advice. You now need professional advice. You risk bankruptcy. At first glance, property that cannot be held by a UK citizen should not have been part of the UK estate submitted for probate. You need professional advice. Why on earth did you try to do it yourself?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

302Posts Today

2,522Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin