Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 12th Mar 17, 10:55 AM
    • 6,779Posts
    • 30,547Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    How much do you have in a pet savings account?
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:55 AM
    How much do you have in a pet savings account? 12th Mar 17 at 10:55 AM
    I have 12 year old cat and am about to get a puppy.

My cat has barely cost us anything through the years, just flea/worming/vaccinations.
    But i am aware that i've been lucky up till this point, and that dogs are more expensive.

So i have started a pet savings fund, where i save a certain amount each month for when unexpected costs arrive. Also to pay for pet food, toys, new beds etc (especially since puppies chew everything!).

So I'm wondering how much i should put into the fund every month.

If it helps, the puppy isn't going to be a big breed, she is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Also, the vet does a £12 a month 'annual dog pack' and that pays for both of the puppy vaccinations, all worming and flea treatments for the year, and also 20% off anything bought from them (not prescriptions). I am wondering if this would be worth it.
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 2
    • questionss
    • By questionss 20th Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    questionss
    A CKCS - mitral valve disease is ridiculously common, half have a heart murmur by age 4, 75% by 7 and almost all by 10. It's not really an if it's a when
    Recent studies show early treatment improves quality & duration of life.
    Also common is diabetes and syringomyelia
    Get insurance, get good lifelong insurance, check for breed related exclusions
    • questionss
    • By questionss 20th Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    questionss
    A CKCS - mitral valve disease is ridiculously common, half have a heart murmur by age 4, 75% by 7 and almost all by 10. It's not really an if it's a when
    Recent studies show early treatment improves quality & duration of life.
    Also common is diabetes and syringomyelia
    Get insurance, get good lifelong insurance, check for breed related exclusions
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 6,779 Posts
    • 30,547 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Thanks questionss, i am already aware of those issues, which is why insurance is an absolute must.

None of the dogs in her family have had any health issues, so fingers crossed she will be OK.
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,426Posts Today

6,975Users online

Martin's Twitter