Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cambs1999
    • By cambs1999 12th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cambs1999
    Adding to a Scottish Widows Pens Portfolio Two
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    Adding to a Scottish Widows Pens Portfolio Two 12th Mar 17 at 10:47 AM
    Hi,

My husband has a works pension. They are currently paying into Scottish Widows Pens Portfolio Two.

I've been looking into this pension a bit more, my husband requested a pension without much risk - however it appears to be a medium risk option. Does anyone have any knowledge of this pension, the risk and how it's been performing over the last few years? I've had a quick look and it seems to be doing ok but my knowledge in pensions is pretty much zero.

With his employer contributions he's currently paying in around £360 per month. We were thinking of upping it by another £70 a month but before we do this we wanted to check whether this would be a wise decision?

Thanks
Page 2
    • michaels
    • By michaels 14th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 19,264 Posts
    • 88,339 Thanks
    michaels
    I was playing with the SW lifestyling tool on their website this afternoon. Having answered some very innumerate questions that were supposed to pick up my attitude to rsik they put me in the middle of their rik profile bands and told me that between 15 and 10 years before retirement I should switch from portfolio 2 to portfolio 3 and then over the next 5 years into portfolio 4 etc.

Portfolio 2 has made pretty good returns over the last year but on most measures performance has been slightly below average over most time frames. Personally I hold with efficient market hypothesis so put above average returns down to luck plus higher risk rather than alpha so am happy with sw.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 14th Mar 17, 9:55 PM
    • 10,012 Posts
    • 6,415 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Sorry just read it again, is it £1500 x 12 for annual then x 30 so a pension pot of £540,000?
    Originally posted by cambs1999
    Yes, that's ballpark.

Shows how valuable defined benefit schemes are, which is now being evidenced by the huge values attributed to transfer values frequently quoted on these boards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,032Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin