Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 190Posts
    • 38Thanks
    jeallen01
    Lloyds internet banking - Automated Alert messages!!!
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    Lloyds internet banking - Automated Alert messages!!! 12th Mar 17 at 10:44 AM
    I have a couple of Club Lloyds accounts (not brilliant but OK).

Late last night (started around 10.30pm) I started getting "Urgent - please log into your account for important info..." (not those exact words, but you get the idea), and then they kept coming in 15-20 min intervals until I finally got fed up and logged just after midnight!.

And so what was this "important info" - that there were security breaches on my accounts or something like that??

No, just a very "important" message to say that I had 24 days to open a Lloyds Cash ISA this FY, plus 4 messages (2 for each account) about interest and interest rates for the current FY, and so on!!!!!!

Was so mad I tried to phone them but could get no answer (the air would have been really "blue" if I had!) and, being quite "worked up", I didn't get to sleep quickly and then woke up early this morning.

Found time to phone them around 10am, and - luckily - got through to someone who had himself been on the receiving end of the same problem about a month ago, had raised an internal complaint and was later told that the problem had been found and solved - But obviously now it's not.

Anyway, the guy was very understanding and has raised another formal internal complaint, and then - without being asked - offered compensation for the cost of the calls and (IIRC) £50 to try to compensate for the disturbing effects that these automated messages had caused. So, full marks to that guy!

Nevertheless, if anyone else suffered the same thing last night (or whenever) do complain by phone (When the automated answering system asks what the call is about, just say "Complaint"!), be pretty firm with the call handler that this is a known problem even if they say they have not heard of it (quote this thread and my forum name if you want) and "hammer them" until you get some satisfaction (preferably financial).
    Last edited by jeallen01; 12-03-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Page 3
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 13th Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 11,377 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    The OP is entirely in the right. Sending repeated messages every 20 minutes designed to make people afraid that they're being defrauded or something else has gone wrong with their bank account, in order to make them open some spam flogging a poor value financial product, is unacceptable
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    I do agree with your second sentence there.

Sending repeated messages designed to make people defrauded or that something has gone wrong, is sharp practice.

What actually happened was that the OP received an email such as

Email body
    There's a new message in your Internet Banking Inbox. Messages contain information about your account, so it's important to view them. [etc]

Subject: Important information about your interest rates
    Date: 10 MARCH 2017
    Account: Easy Saver

Please note: this message is important and needs your immediate attention. Please log into Internet Banking straightaway to view it."
    Even if the OP received that message twice, or similar multiple messages because of having multiple accounts - that sort of message with a subject line and message body indicating there is a secure message containing time sensitive information about interest rates on a regular saver account does not constitute the 'sharp practice' of "sending repeated messages every 20 minutes designed to make people afraid that they're being defrauded or something else has gone wrong"

I didn't see the original email, just going off what the OP quoted.
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 13-03-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    • mapk
    • By mapk 13th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    mapk
    I'd like to take issue with the assumption by many posters that the OP is male. Although I suppose even women sometimes have to 'bang one out' as the typically eloquent Ms. Bowlhead puts it.

Sisters doing it for themselves
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,682Posts Today

8,284Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin