Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 190Posts
    • 38Thanks
    jeallen01
    Lloyds internet banking - Automated Alert messages!!!
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    Lloyds internet banking - Automated Alert messages!!! 12th Mar 17 at 10:44 AM
    I have a couple of Club Lloyds accounts (not brilliant but OK).

Late last night (started around 10.30pm) I started getting "Urgent - please log into your account for important info..." (not those exact words, but you get the idea), and then they kept coming in 15-20 min intervals until I finally got fed up and logged just after midnight!.

And so what was this "important info" - that there were security breaches on my accounts or something like that??

No, just a very "important" message to say that I had 24 days to open a Lloyds Cash ISA this FY, plus 4 messages (2 for each account) about interest and interest rates for the current FY, and so on!!!!!!

Was so mad I tried to phone them but could get no answer (the air would have been really "blue" if I had!) and, being quite "worked up", I didn't get to sleep quickly and then woke up early this morning.

Found time to phone them around 10am, and - luckily - got through to someone who had himself been on the receiving end of the same problem about a month ago, had raised an internal complaint and was later told that the problem had been found and solved - But obviously now it's not.

Anyway, the guy was very understanding and has raised another formal internal complaint, and then - without being asked - offered compensation for the cost of the calls and (IIRC) £50 to try to compensate for the disturbing effects that these automated messages had caused. So, full marks to that guy!

Nevertheless, if anyone else suffered the same thing last night (or whenever) do complain by phone (When the automated answering system asks what the call is about, just say "Complaint"!), be pretty firm with the call handler that this is a known problem even if they say they have not heard of it (quote this thread and my forum name if you want) and "hammer them" until you get some satisfaction (preferably financial).
    Last edited by jeallen01; 12-03-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Page 2
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    So this is your way of getting even?
    Originally posted by masonic
    Actually, I don't need to because I manage my resources better than some and don't get hit more than once in the proverbial blue moon - but a lot of people are less fortunate than I, and they do.

PS: this is the last response I will make to any of your comments.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 12th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 7,369 Thanks
    colsten
    I am extremely upset with Lloyds as they did not send me any messages saying I had just 24 days to open a Lloyds Cash ISA. I will have to ring them and ask for compensation.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 12th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 7,388 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    Biggles
    Actually, I don't need to because I manage my resources better than some and don't get hit more than once in the proverbial blue moon
    Originally posted by jeallen01
    Wow, that seems to say you are used to 'getting hit', which seems unusual to me; I assume most people never have - I certainly haven't.

As regards your '24 days to open an ISA' message, maybe it's because you haven't seen the message you would have been getting on logging in to your Lloyds account lately? If you'd deleted it, I guess they'd have known you'd seen it and cancelled the reminder emails?
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 12th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 11,871 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    A precis:

OP got back from visiting friends late at night. Perhaps had a few drinks. There was nothing of interest on television and OP's other half did not want to have sex, and OP did not want to bang one out for themselves, so OP decided to catch up on reading email correspondence.

They noted a number of emails from Lloyds bank with subject lines such as, "Important information about your interest rates". The message body said the information was important and warranted your immediate attention, with more information available when logged into online banking, so even though it was after 10.30pm and there is nothing that a customer can practically do about interest rates at midnight on a Saturday, the OP decided they would log into the banking system and see what it was about.

They were disgusted that the information related to interest rates on an account held with the bank. Another offered the opportunity to make use of a cash ISA allowance. There were several messages about the OP's several accounts. One account even had two messages!

The OP had made a conscious decision when signing up for internet banking to keep the settings which allow marketing messages and account information to be sent by email. The messages were time critical and labelled as such because if the OP had not seen them immediately, the information that there were only 24 days to open an ISA would be out of date, and the time before the new interest rate kicked in would be reduced, giving the OP later cause for complaint about getting short notice of an adverse rate change.

The OP, having uncontrollable anger management issues went "mad", trying to phone the bank after midnight to make the air "blue" with their rage. They were "worked up", enraged, angered and unable to sleep, having ignored the widely dispensed health and wellbeing advice these days to not spend time reading emails and correspondence when you are about to try to get a good night's sleep.

The next morning at 10am, OP contacted the bank who were apologetic and offered them some free money to stop them losing their cool. Unsatisfied with this, OP went online to start a thread on a savings forum encouraging others to 'hammer them'.

Other forum members suggested the issue was overblown, to which OP suggested that such forum members should 'wander off', and became frustrated when comments continued to be made on "their" discussion thread and people wandered back out of curiosity and/or amusement.

The OP noted that it was unfair that banks charged fees if a customer made errors and borrowed money without permission, and something about a goose and a gander came to mind because the OP likes wildfowl-related idioms, although the bank in this case had not borrowed money without permission nor broken the terms and conditions of the contractual relationship.

The OP resolved not to respond to any more comments.
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 4:11 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    Wow, that seems to say you are used to 'getting hit', which seems unusual to me; I assume most people never have - I certainly haven't.

As regards your '24 days to open an ISA' message, maybe it's because you haven't seen the message you would have been getting on logging in to your Lloyds account lately? If you'd deleted it, I guess they'd have known you'd seen it and cancelled the reminder emails?
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Incorrect on three counts (that I can think of at the moment):
    - bank charges - can't remember being hit in the last 10-15yrs (actually, probably more like 25 years) on any of accounts with quite a few banks, although I have had a couple of credit card late payment charges in the same period for forgetting to pay, rather than the inability to do so.
    - Last log-in to the Lloyds a/c was Friday 10th March - so the day before this all happened (or should I log in every hour, on the hour?)
    - Cessation of these emails appears to have been triggered simply by logging into the a/c, and not by deleting anything whilst I was in there - because I didn't delete anything!

In other words the damned automated system was determined to make me log in, come what may, even though there was absolutely no actual need or security threat, etc.

Anything else I can "clarify" ??????????
    Last edited by jeallen01; 12-03-2017 at 4:13 PM.
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    bowlhead (how probably appropriate!)
    I not even going to try enumerate the errors of quotation and reference, and incorrect assumptions, in YOUR post - too many to waste my time on.
    Suffice it to say that you will find them if you bother to check carefully before posting again.(or do you, and possibly someone else, actually work for Lloyds - can't see many other reason why you would go to such great lengths to defend that company??)

Sometimes I do wonder why people bother to post on this forum. All I was/am trying to do was to alert (maybe I should use another word in the circumstances, but I can't be bothered) anyone else who had the misfortune to suffer the same automated harassment that someone, somewhere, in Lloyds has not been doing their job properly - which is what customers who deposit their money with the bank expect because they are effectively helping to pay their wages. Customer service should be expected - and not a "the computer says no" situation because someone (probably plural) did not do their job properly.
    Last edited by jeallen01; 12-03-2017 at 4:31 PM.
    • ToiletLicker
    • By ToiletLicker 12th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    ToiletLicker
    A precis:

OP got back from visiting friends late at night. Perhaps had a few drinks. There was nothing of interest on television and OP's other half did not want to have sex, and OP did not want to bang one out for themselves, so OP decided to catch up on reading email correspondence.

They noted a number of emails from Lloyds bank with subject lines such as, "Important information about your interest rates". The message body said the information was important and warranted your immediate attention, with more information available when logged into online banking, so even though it was after 10.30pm and there is nothing that a customer can practically do about interest rates at midnight on a Saturday, the OP decided they would log into the banking system and see what it was about.

They were disgusted that the information related to interest rates on an account held with the bank. Another offered the opportunity to make use of a cash ISA allowance. There were several messages about the OP's several accounts. One account even had two messages!

The OP had made a conscious decision when signing up for internet banking to keep the settings which allow marketing messages and account information to be sent by email. The messages were time critical and labelled as such because if the OP had not seen them immediately, the information that there were only 24 days to open an ISA would be out of date, and the time before the new interest rate kicked in would be reduced, giving the OP later cause for complaint about getting short notice of an adverse rate change.

The OP, having uncontrollable anger management issues went "mad", trying to phone the bank after midnight to make the air "blue" with their rage. They were "worked up", enraged, angered and unable to sleep, having ignored the widely dispensed health and wellbeing advice these days to not spend time reading emails and correspondence when you are about to try to get a good night's sleep.

The next morning at 10am, OP contacted the bank who were apologetic and offered them some free money to stop them losing their cool. Unsatisfied with this, OP went online to start a thread on a savings forum encouraging others to 'hammer them'.

Other forum members suggested the issue was overblown, to which OP suggested that such forum members should 'wander off', and became frustrated when comments continued to be made on "their" discussion thread and people wandered back out of curiosity and/or amusement.

The OP noted that it was unfair that banks charged fees if a customer made errors and borrowed money without permission, and something about a goose and a gander came to mind because the OP likes wildfowl-related idioms, although the bank in this case had not borrowed money without permission nor broken the terms and conditions of the contractual relationship.

The OP resolved not to respond to any more comments.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Well written bowlhead99
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    Oh well, I tried - and a lot of you are far too "trying" for me to bother to continue - so you "win" and I will leave you all to gloat over my exit from this thread.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 12th Mar 17, 5:17 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    (or do you, and possibly someone else, actually work for Lloyds - can't see many other reason why you would go to such great lengths to defend that company??)
    I know you've vowed not to reply to any of my posts anymore, but on the off-chance the "possibly someone else" refers to me, I'm happy to put your mind at rest and clarify that I've never worked for any company involved in financial services.

The reason why I'm sympathetic to the bank in this instance, at the risk of provoking another meltdown from yourself, is that I've worked in roles that have been somewhat customer facing and on occasion have had to deal with one or two extremely short tempered individuals with unreasonable expectations. The experience is not pleasant. So I have sympathy for all organisations that have to deal with customers who have, as bowlhead eloquently put it "uncontrollable anger management issues", and furthermore, I completely understand why a complaint handler would bung such a customer £50 to put an end to it.

As to your comments suggesting others do the same as you have, well I'm all for squeezing the banks for all I can get from them, but that's a step too far for me.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 12th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 9,899 Posts
    • 6,317 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Oh well, I tried - and a lot of you are far too "trying" for me to bother to continue - so you "win" and I will leave you all to gloat over my exit from this thread.
    Elf and safety, 'Nuff said.
    • ChesterDog
    • By ChesterDog 12th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    ChesterDog
    I would like to ask why the OP feels the need to use

SO MANY EXAMPLES OF MULTIPLE PUNCTUATION MARKS??????!!!!!!!
    I am one of the "Dogs of the Index".
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 12th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Nice friendly forum.
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • ChesterDog
    • By ChesterDog 12th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    ChesterDog
    The OP suggested that the appropriate response to someone's small and trivial error, which caused a fleeting inconvenience, was that they be "hammered" until they cough up monetary compensation.

Nice.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 12th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 9,899 Posts
    • 6,317 Thanks
    bigadaj

Originally posted by ChesterDog
    Terry pratchett?
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 12th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    soulsaver
    The OP suggested that the appropriate response to someone's small and trivial error, which caused a fleeting inconvenience, was that they be "hammered" until they cough up monetary compensation.

Nice.
    It's a figure of speech...

Whilst this is just micky taking.
    Last edited by soulsaver; 12-03-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 12th Mar 17, 11:25 PM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 11,871 Thanks
    bowlhead99

Nice.
    It's a figure of speech...
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    Yes, the phrase hammered was a figure of speech drawn from the meaning to hammer or beat something; inculcate something forcefully or repeatedly; attack or criticize forcefully and relentlessly; utterly defeat in a contest.

No forceful or relentless actions to beat the bank into submission seem necessary here. Receiving a duplicate email late at night on a weekend is not something that requires major effort on behalf of a customer to forgive, nor cash compensation - even though the bank dispensed some immediately and were apologetic and courteous.

Whilst this is childish micky taking.
    The fun of an open forum. We're not getting paid to participate ; being entertained is what keeps people stimulated in between dispensing a myriad of extremely valuable advice on a multitude of other threads, for free.
    • ChesterDog
    • By ChesterDog 13th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    ChesterDog
    It wasn't just micky taking.

I find it very rude when somebody metaphorically or actually shouts at me and tries to ram home their point at me.
    • MyOnlyPost
    • By MyOnlyPost 13th Mar 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    MyOnlyPost
    I receive emails from multiple banks all the time because I have opted into paperless communication. Quite often those emails just tell me I have a new message and must log in to read it. Once there it is occasionally a change in T&C (relevant) or a change to interest rates for an account I don't have (irrelevant) but mostly it is a summary of interest (like I don't know exactly how much interest I've received, doesn't everyone have a spreadsheet which tracks it monthly?)

I never realised I might have a claim for a four figure sum as compensation for the inconvenience of all these email messages I have received that were unnecessary (£50 x 50-60 messages at least, I could be rich!). I mean the amount of time taken to read them all and log in to my bank each time taken cumulativley, I could have enjoyed making and drinking a cup of tea. As for the stress of it, I blame this for me being overweight due to comfort eating and it has turned my hair grey, so the damage they have caused me is extreme and I need to be compensated.

I shall ring up and demand they put their interest rates back up for me as a special case. #firstworldproblems
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 13th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 3,332 Posts
    • 3,386 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope

I'm fairly certain the messages were genuine because that was effectively confirmed by the guy I spoke to this morning .
    But if they were automated messages then he would have no direct knowledge of them, so wouldn't be able to confirm or deny that "your" messages were genuine or not. All he could do would be to say "Yes, we do send out automated messages, and yours are probably ours"

An irritating feature of Lloyds, and probably all banks etc, is that they have no central record of messages and phone calls, so if you phone up their security number asking about a message you have just received, they cannot trace it even if it is theirs.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 13th Mar 17, 10:10 AM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 4,074 Thanks
    Malthusian
    The OP is entirely in the right. Sending repeated messages every 20 minutes designed to make people afraid that they're being defrauded or something else has gone wrong with their bank account, in order to make them open some spam flogging a poor value financial product, is unacceptable behaviour.

If we didn't have people like the OP who slightly overreact when something like this happens and phone the bank up to complain, we'd all have to deal with this kind of crap constantly. And then we wouldn't have time to make fun of random people and cast aspersions on their sex lives on the Internet.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,450Posts Today

7,991Users online

Martin's Twitter