Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 190Posts
    • 38Thanks
    jeallen01
    Lloyds internet banking - Automated Alert messages!!!
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    Lloyds internet banking - Automated Alert messages!!! 12th Mar 17 at 10:44 AM
    I have a couple of Club Lloyds accounts (not brilliant but OK).

Late last night (started around 10.30pm) I started getting "Urgent - please log into your account for important info..." (not those exact words, but you get the idea), and then they kept coming in 15-20 min intervals until I finally got fed up and logged just after midnight!.

And so what was this "important info" - that there were security breaches on my accounts or something like that??

No, just a very "important" message to say that I had 24 days to open a Lloyds Cash ISA this FY, plus 4 messages (2 for each account) about interest and interest rates for the current FY, and so on!!!!!!

Was so mad I tried to phone them but could get no answer (the air would have been really "blue" if I had!) and, being quite "worked up", I didn't get to sleep quickly and then woke up early this morning.

Found time to phone them around 10am, and - luckily - got through to someone who had himself been on the receiving end of the same problem about a month ago, had raised an internal complaint and was later told that the problem had been found and solved - But obviously now it's not.

Anyway, the guy was very understanding and has raised another formal internal complaint, and then - without being asked - offered compensation for the cost of the calls and (IIRC) £50 to try to compensate for the disturbing effects that these automated messages had caused. So, full marks to that guy!

Nevertheless, if anyone else suffered the same thing last night (or whenever) do complain by phone (When the automated answering system asks what the call is about, just say "Complaint"!), be pretty firm with the call handler that this is a known problem even if they say they have not heard of it (quote this thread and my forum name if you want) and "hammer them" until you get some satisfaction (preferably financial).
    Last edited by jeallen01; 12-03-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Page 1
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 12th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 2,566 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:12 AM

Late last night (started around 10.30pm) I started getting "Urgent - please log into your account for important info..." (not those exact words, but you get the idea), and then they kept coming in 15-20 min intervals until I finally got fed up and logged just after midnight!.
    Originally posted by jeallen01
    Just to clarify, were these text/app messages you were receiving? It may help others to know
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Aug] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 July NSDs 19/15CCCChl 7/12 months
    July PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • ChesterDog
    • By ChesterDog 12th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    • 741 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    ChesterDog
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    Gosh, you seem to get angry very easily.

If I got such a text message - especially repeatedly - from my bank, I don't think I would wait an hour and a half before invesigating.
    I am one of the "Dogs of the Index".
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    Jo
    Messages were like this (sorry about the large para spacing, but there appear to be hidden spaces which I can't delete)
    "

You have a new message

There's a new message in your Internet Banking Inbox. Messages contain information about your account, so it's important to view them.

Please note:

If you’ve chosen to use a shared email address, anyone with access to the email account will be able to view the messages we send you about your account.

Anyone with access to your online bank account will be able to view the account correspondence in your Internet Banking Inbox.

We’ll never alter or delete the correspondence in your Internet Banking Inbox.

Subject

Date

Account details

Account number

Important information about your interest rates

10 MARCH 2017

Easy Saver

Please note: this message is important and needs your immediate attention. Please log into Internet Banking straightaway to view it."

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-03-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 12th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 3,598 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    ... just a very "important" message to say that I had 24 days to open a Lloyds Cash ISA this FY, plus 4 messages (2 for each account) about interest and interest rates for the current FY, and so on!!!!!! .....

.....Found time to phone them around 10am, and - luckily - got through to someone who had himself been on the receiving end of the same problem about a month ago, had raised an internal complaint and was later told that the problem had been found and solved - But obviously now it's not....
    Maybe I'm just overly suspicious, but were the repeated alerts you got definitely from Lloyds? And was the person you rang definitely from Lloyds (i.e. did you ring the number in the alert, or log-in via the alert, or did you log-in and ring direct via the website)?

I'm just surprised the bloke had the same problem 'about a month ago' (when there would be no urgency over investing in an ISA this FY) and offered compo so quickly. And that the alerts were so late at night, when people are generally less alert.

But I'm probably just overly suspicious! Has that £50 appeared yet?
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    CD

Yes I do get angry because things like this just should not happen - 1 message a day = "fine", 8+ messages (and counting) in 90 mins = NOT
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    Zanderman

I'm fairly certain the messages were genuine because that was effectively confirmed by the guy I spoke to this morning - and there was no direct link to follow to log into my a/c. Also, the fact that the messages ceased coming immediately after I logged into the account does confirm that they were generated by the Lloyds system.

As for the late night timing - that certainly could have been suspicious and I certainly could possibly have got "caught" if the messages had not been genuine. Luckily I read them on a machine where I do not have my log in security details to hand, and so had to go through the process on another one in another room.

Not yet checked my a/c for the £50 because I'm writing this email on the first m/c - and I'm also very tired after a very short and poor night's sleep .
    Last edited by jeallen01; 12-03-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 12th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    From the OP, I'd assumed these were automated phone calls or text messages, which would be very annoying to receive at night. Looks like they were actually just emails?
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    From the OP, I'd assumed these were automated phone calls or text messages, which would be very annoying to receive at night. Looks like they were actually just emails?
    Originally posted by masonic
    Yes - "just" emails.

Why was I reading emails at that time of night? Because we had just driven back from dinner with some friends 35 miles away and I/we were fairly wide awake, not ready to go to bed and there was nothing interesting on the tv, and thus just trying to wind down - until all those emails wound me up again!

However, I think some people are missing the point of the thread - which is that it looks like Lloyds internet banking system is suffering another glitch affecting customers, and that anyone affected should make their views known forcibly to that bank.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 12th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    However, I think some people are missing the point of the thread - which is that it looks like Lloyds internet banking system is suffering another glitch affecting customers, and that anyone affected should make their views known forcibly to that bank.
    If that's the point of the thread, then all I can do is sigh and wander off muttering something about "compensation culture"...
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    EXCUSE ME - please wander off in any direction that you care to choose (and as quickly as possible)!!!!!

I did NOT ask for compensation - although I think it is deserved where a bank or other body with strong financial responsibility makes errors which could affect us, their customers.

That's why I suggested that anyone else affected should "hammer" them because, hitting in the pocket and making their errors widely visible is often the only way to get them to systematically find, acknowledge and fix their issues, because, if they make errors like this one (AND apparently claimed to have fixed it a month ago but obviously had not!) then that points to systematic failures in their organisation and processes.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 12th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 9,362 Posts
    • 5,983 Thanks
    bigadaj
    EXCUSE ME - please wander off in any direction that you care to choose (and as quickly as possible)!!!!!

I did NOT ask for compensation - although I think it is deserved where a bank or other body with strong financial responsibility makes errors which could affect us, their customers.

That's why I suggested that anyone else affected should "hammer" them because, hitting in the pocket and making their errors widely visible is often the only way to get them to systematically find, acknowledge and fix their issues, because, if they make errors like this one (AND apparently claimed to have fixed it a month ago but obviously had not!) then that points to systematic failures in their organisation and processes.
    Very mildly annoying, keep a sense of proportion.

It's also an open forum so you'll fortunately have to put up with other people's opinions, if you don't like that probably best not to post.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 12th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    Some poor sod probably made a mistake when they queued the messages up in the system. No doubt the more people who complain, the harder the consequences will will be on them. I can't really see any reason to incite others to "hammer" the bank over this mistake, other than the pursuit of vengeance. If it is a real issue, others will complain without being encouraged.

I think you'd have a happier life if you learned to let things like this go.
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    I welcome other peoples' opinions (provided they are proportional and reasoned) especially given that this is a consumer-oriented forum, but the poster in question appeared to be supporting the organisation that was responsible for the issue rather than the people who were/might be affected by it, or by other "hidden" issues yet to be revealed - and those are the really worrying ones because we have all heard of the effects of security issues on financial institution.

If such an organisation can make relatively trivial errors (and, in the overall scheme of things, this was one of those), and has claimed to have fixed them but has not, then should we not worry about their ability to prevent more serious ones?
    For very many years I was involved in hosting, and later performing, product safety and company QA audits in manufacturing organisations - and it was/is an axiom of inspectors that if you only just scratch the surface of a system and yet find errors and issues, then it's a fairly good bet that you are going to find a lot more, and more serious, ones deeper down.
    Last edited by jeallen01; 12-03-2017 at 2:11 PM.
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    I thought "someone" was going to "wander off" - about time he did as he obviously doesn't get the serious points I am trying to make.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 12th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Well if you can't get money out of a bank as interest.

You have to get it in switching bonus and compensation

It would be funny if it wasn't true that you can get more money in compensation than interest!
    • masonic
    • By masonic 12th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    I thought "someone" was going to "wander off" - about time he did as he obviously doesn't get the serious points I am trying to make.
    I did wander off, for about half an hour. Then I came back. I often check in to this forum multiple times a day. I hope that's not going to be a problem for you. If it is, perhaps you could make a formal complaint to the owners of the site.
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 12th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    It would be funny if it wasn't true that you can get more money in compensation than interest!
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    And it's not funny either when You get hit by big bank charges for making a small error - the goose and gander saying comes to mind.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 12th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    And it's not funny either when You get hit by big bank charges for making a small error - the goose and gander saying comes to mind.
    So this is your way of getting even?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 6,591 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Well done in getting £50 for receiving some emails. Excellent MSE effort.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,956Posts Today

9,061Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin