Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • new.world.photos
    • By new.world.photos 12th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    new.world.photos
    paypal refunding without permission
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    paypal refunding without permission 12th Mar 17 at 9:40 AM
    Hi All, I've done a search through the forums and can't find an answer to this question, if there is one please feel free to point it out to me.

End of January I sold a lens on ebay. The guy paid, I posted, it was delivered, all great. Last week I get what looks like a fraudulent email telling me there is an issue with a transaction on my paypal account and a big login button, so I ignored it. Then Thursday I get another email telling me the dispute had been settled and the money for the lens had been refunded!

I logged in to paypal and saw this was all true and immediately contacted the buyer. He said his paypal account had been hacked so he informed paypal who stopped all transactions, included in that was a refund for the price of the lens... 6 weeks after it had all been finished with!

So I complained to paypal by email, useless. Then I rang customer service. I explained I had proof of postage, proof of signature from the buyer and an email from him saying how satisfied he was with the lens. They seemed very helpful and took the tracking info and said they would sort it over the next few days. Yesterday I got an email from them saying they couldn't use the tracking info (A bit of a surprise considering I downloaded a copy of the confirmation from royal mail that day!) and that their decision was final!

Now I know there have been a lot of horror stories about paypal but for them to refund a transaction that obviously has 2 happy parties, and to refuse to do anything about it seems like a literal crime to me, I view it as if paypal came up to me in the street and stole my days wages from my pocket!

So long story short where can I go from here? they refuse to reopen the case and the buyer has now stopped replying to my emails.

Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks in advance
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 58,331 Posts
    • 41,279 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    Unfortunately by not checking your paypal account you lost your chance of an easy resolution, I am surprised though that paypal sent an email with a 'log in' button, that seems very strange. The fraudulent use of a card chargeback is defended with POP not with delivery tracking.

However, you either need to keep on at paypal and make sure you have sent them a scanned copy of your POP or trace the person the lens was delivered to and take them to small claims.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 12th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 1,669 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    He said his paypal account had been hacked so he informed paypal who stopped all transactions, included in that was a refund for the price of the lens...
    If I'm reading this correctly, the PayPal account was fraudulently used to obtain the refund but not to initially buy the lens. Is this correct?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

3,783Users online

Martin's Twitter