Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alisonwestbrook
    • By alisonwestbrook 12th Mar 17, 7:10 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    alisonwestbrook
    Can i transfer fixed tariff to new property?
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:10 AM
    Can i transfer fixed tariff to new property? 12th Mar 17 at 7:10 AM
    Hi all

My fixed tariff with Scottish Power ends in April. I can now switch and Npowers fixed April 2018 has come out cheapest for me.

Possibly moving in July however so would I be better switching to a tariff which isn't fixed as unsure if moving means I'd get exit fees? Exit fees are £30 each for gas and electric I believe.

Thanks
Page 1
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 12th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    Most suppliers, but not all, regard a house move as a Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card so far as Early Exit Fee's are concerned - First Utility are an exception.
    Best bet is to contact n'power and ask.

What you can't do is port a fixed tariff for your present dwelling to a new address
    Last edited by dogshome; 12-03-2017 at 8:21 AM.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 31,504 Posts
    • 37,205 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    i've ported a fixed tariff from my old address to my new address just a year ago with Npower
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    i've ported a fixed tariff from my old address to my new address just a year ago with Npower
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    We need to be careful about terminology. There is no such thing as 'porting' in the energy sector. Some suppliers will allow customers to move house and continue on their old tariff; however, this does not circumvent the legally-binding Deemed Supplier contract. Usually, exit fees will be waived and the present tariff continued at the new home provided a switch is made back to the original supplier within a fixed period of time after taking over the new property. The detail is each of the supplier';s terms and conditions. There will still be a charge for the Deemed Supply.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 3,466 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    Hi all

My fixed tariff with Scottish Power ends in April. I can now switch and Npowers fixed April 2018 has come out cheapest for me.

Possibly moving in July however so would I be better switching to a tariff which isn't fixed as unsure if moving means I'd get exit fees? Exit fees are £30 each for gas and electric I believe.

Thanks
    Originally posted by alisonwestbrook
    The possibility of moving home complicates matters slightly.
    You see, most people use more energy over the winter months, and so the fact you use less energy pro rata from now untl July may mean the nPower traiff will not be the most appropriate.

Also, if you do move, consumption at a new home may be totally different to consumption at your existing home.

But it's difficult to establish what would be best, and the fact you may remain at the current property may mean it would be appropriate to pick the best deal for you based on you remaining there.

If you do move, the nPower terms of the tariff in question say this:
    Moving home

If you move homeyou may be able to transfer this Price ControlAgreement to your new home if you continue to meet the eligibilitycriteria and:

-you let us know that you would like to transfer the Price Control Agreement to your new home when you tell us about your change of address; and
    - we reach a mutual agreement to continue with the Price ControlAgreement at your new home.

If we agree a transfer with you, the prices you will pay for your supplies for the rest of the Price Control Period will be the prices under theOnline Price Fix April 2018 offer applicable to your new home. Those prices may be different from the prices in your present home, for example due to regional variations in our prices or different metering.

If you don’t transfer it to your new home this Price Control Agreement will end
    and you may incur an Early Exit Fee
    https://www.npower.com/idc/groups/wcms_content/@wcms/@resi/documents/digitalassets/online_price_fix_april_2018.pdf
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,280Posts Today

7,157Users online

Martin's Twitter