Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 17, 6:03 AM
    • 1,001Posts
    • 6,625Thanks
    karcher
    O/S Daily Sunday 12th March 2017
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:03 AM
    O/S Daily Sunday 12th March 2017 12th Mar 17 at 6:03 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
Page 1
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 17, 6:31 AM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 6,625 Thanks
    karcher
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:31 AM
    Morning all

Another very early wake up. I seem to wake every night between 4 and 5am and unable to get back to sleep..very frustrating. I'm averaging 4 hours sleep a night and feel dreadful for it

Anyways, yesterday I found some GUAG from somewhere and cleaned the whole place including the windows. As I said in yesterdays thread my WM went on the blink and refused to spin so I was left with a dripping wet 100% Egyptian Cotton King size Duvet Cover and no idea what to do with it!

After leaving the WM to rest/sulk for an hour I tried another small load...it was very hesitant about spinning and the hour wash took an hour and a half but at least it did it's job. Eventually 3 small loads later and all my washing was done...I dread to think how much electricity it used

No idea what's wrong with it and searched in vain for the filter but can't find it. It isn't that old but getting someone to look at it will cost an arm and a leg so I'm a bit stumped as to what to do.... In this awfully wasteful throw away society we live in now it is often easier/cheaper to replace rather than repair

We shall see.....Hopefully it won't completely die on me and like me, keep plodding along for a few more years

No plans for today and unless I manage to get another couple of hours sleep soonish, it will remain that way!

Enjoy your Sunday one and all and take care
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • tru
    • By tru 12th Mar 17, 6:31 AM
    • 8,482 Posts
    • 41,665 Thanks
    tru
    Morning
    Happy Birthday TravellingAbuela

newroadahead I'm sorry for your loss xx

Thanks LameWolf I just need to work out the best way to go about it now
    As for everyone being on board, there will be no more niceties – I'm turning dictator, lol.

It took me almost all day to clean all my craft things, I was hoping to be finished by lunchtime! I still have more things to clean, they're all piled up in the hall so at least all the dirt is one place, lol. I'll stop worrying about it and just plod through it as and when.

I was so focused on getting rid of the dust that I forgot about the normal housework, I have three loads of washing to do and I'd better get stuck in before I run out of clothes More painting needs to be done but not today. I just want to potter and work my way through the housework slowly. I'l make a start at some point during the next hour, I need a couple more coffees first

The horrifying moment when you're looking for an adult but then you realise that you are an adult
    So you look for an older adult, someone successfully adulting
    An adultier adult
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Mar 17, 6:49 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 10,679 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:49 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:49 AM
    Morning all.
    Karcher, I have a similar sleep pattern. Occasionally I have a couple of good night's but seem to revert to the early waking each time. I'm tired too.
    NRA, I am sorry to read of your loss.
    TA, have a happy birthday.
    I don't have particular plans for today, the usual tidying round and yet more washing, but it isn't good weather and I'm running out of indoor space to dry it. I suppose that providing everyone has something to wear and I have work clothes, it won't matter too much.
    Hope everyone has a good day
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Mar 17, 7:09 AM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 37,482 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:09 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:09 AM
    Morning All

Damp and dreary out, it rained most of yesterday so a bit of a miserable weekend weatherwise.

Went to Costco early on and got what I needed, including a baked potato for an early lunch! Also visited the allotment, all good there but some of the kale had bolted so pulled that up. I have kale and baby carrots to go with my meal tonight, although I have no idea what that will be!

Off to DDs this morning to sort out some stuff for her, need to get there early as there is a big football match nearby at lunchtime and parking will be a nightmare.

Sorry for your loss NRA, hugs to you.
    Hoping to hear how your first night went HH.

Have a happy Sunday, take care. XX
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Mar 17, 7:15 AM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 18,630 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:15 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:15 AM
    Morning folks and thanks for the birthday wishes. It's drab and gloomy outside but the sun is forecast to appear soon, or so the nice weatherman says.

It's like Christmas here. I have a mountain of cards and presents to open when I come round a bit! We had a lovely evening at DD's and her Italian meal was delicious. Pizzas, pasta bake, bolognese bake, yummy garlic bread and lots of other bits and pieces. It was lovely to meet DS's new lady and she is so easy to get on with. The wine was flowing and I had one or two glasses too many. Now on my second coffee trying to bring myself round a bit!

We didn't leave till almost midnight and, despite feeling tired, I still had a rubbish night's sleep. Four hours seems to be my maximum too. I think a nap may be on the cards this afternoon!

NRA condolences on your loss. Have a good day and (HUGS) to all who want them. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 12th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    • 6,305 Posts
    • 86,949 Thanks
    redruby
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    Morning all,

Its raining here and I must admit I am quite pleased it was a lovely day yesterday and so very busy at work I did not get a lunch break and being on your feet for eight hours is very tiring, so I hope today may be quiet !

Burgers for dinner with wedges and salad, and OH said he will strip and remake the beds so that I can rest on my day off tomorrow, she is not a bad stick really !

Happy Birthday to TA hope you have a great day xx

NRA so sorry for your loss xx

Gers your mums story sounds fascinating and just the type of thing I would read xx

The smell of paraffin always brings back memories of my nan, she had an old drafty house with no heating so used to heat the rooms with an old paraffin heater the smell of it takes me right back, and the smell of imperial leather reminds me of my darling dad.

Have good days all xx
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 37,482 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    Happy Birthday TA!
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 12th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 24,637 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    Happy birthday TA

Candlelightx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Mar 17, 7:59 AM
    • 5,341 Posts
    • 30,049 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning everyone.

It's a damp and cloudy morning here and forecast to be the same all day. When I arrived home yesterday all was bright and sunny too.

Happ Birthday TA - :bdycake: sound like you had a terrific time yesterday. I wish you many more terrific times! Sorry, can't get the cake icon to work from my iPad.

Today will be spent doing emails...a lot! I must make sure I get up and do something every half hour or do, otherwise it's easy to just sit all day.

Camelot - have fun painting!

RR - thanks. My DMs story is fascinating and horrifying too. Luckily she, and her classmates, managed to leave one place on the last train before the Russians arrived and saw the bridge over the river being blown up behind them. Whenever she is difficult and fussy about things I now recall her tough times and relax a bit!

A little more reading and then I'll get up.

Happy Sunday everyone!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 14,674 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Happy Birthday TA hope you have a lovely day xx
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 14,575 Posts
    • 57,598 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

Happy birthday TA! I hope you have a lovely day.

Still in bed but thinking about getting up. I have my Grandson at mid day and overnight so I ought to getting the jobs I want to get done done now. Same for hubby. He loves to have him so he says but conveniently clears off when he can.

Lovely to see Harry's (long story) daffodils in the garden. Summer is on its way!

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 18,630 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    GERS I'm another who would read your mum's story too. It's good she is able to talk about her experiences, as harrowing as they were. I have a friend who's dad was very, very difficult to live with as she and her sisters were growing up and it wasn't until after he died that they found lots of scribbled notes hidden away, which explained why. He had suffered tremendously in concentration camps but had never talked about it to anybody. He spent years with the memories eating away at him. So very sad.

On a brighter note I have now opened all my cards and they are standing on every available surface. Presents opened too - I have got some lovely things. I have been truly spoiled. xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 6,625 Thanks
    karcher
    Happy Birthday TA

Have some more cake

• lonewhitewolf
    • By lonewhitewolf 12th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    lonewhitewolf
    Morning all x
    Happy birthday TA x
    Been mega busy again. Yesterday did some batch cooking for the freezer. 3 cottage pies. 3 chillis. 3 lasagnas and 2 chicken currys. Wanted to do more but felt sore and had to give in. Will make the cakes today and fish pies on Monday DH is convinced that I am planning another trip away lol with doing so many meals. I'm not just got this feeling I will need them preped.
    DD2 is a lot better now and not taking so many painkillers.
    Have DD1 and DGD round today and are out for lunch.
    Well need to go wake the sleeping monsters.
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    • 14,771 Posts
    • 117,460 Thanks
    JackieO
    Happy Birthday T/A have even more cake one can never have enough I find

Great reason for birthdays especially as you get older no one complains when you have some birthday cake I hope you have a great day and get suitably spoiled by the family as is ones right

Weather not quite so nice today, although its dry not so warm as yesterday .

DD has found a large caravan that will take 6 of us plus the two little dogs for 4 days on our beloved Isle of Wight the week before Easter and the boys don't know about it at all

My eldest DGS has a quick flying visit home from NYC for work for a few days at the beginning of April and his Mum is having a bit of a BBQ/tea party for him and his new wife on the 2nd of April for all the family to see them both,and then we whizz off on the 3rd until the 7th,so fingers crossed the weather will be good ,although apparently there is indoor entertainment and swimming pools etc for the boys to keep them amused if its raining.

So I shall be sorting out my stash of tinned bits and pieces to take with us for a couple of days .

Its going to be a busy month as I am off again on the 21st to the north of England with my friend for our annual spring weeks break, so I shan't see much of my house in April

I am just about to go and dive into my freezer to see if I can fish out some diced beef inn there to defrost for a beef bourguignon that I want to make overnight in the SC

Hope you all have a good day what ever you are doing

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    New food budget £60.00 for May First shop of the month 6/5/17 £17.56 Balance £42.44 in food budget purse last shop of the month and have £15.59 left in food budget purse, used up my W'rose vouchers
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 12th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,779 Posts
    • 17,139 Thanks
    snoozer
    Happy birthday TA. Just off to Harrogate for a mooch around.
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 12th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 9,729 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    Morning everyone

Not too bad a day here, worked yesterday at a local cafe. Working from 4 tonight till tomorrow so having a bit of a rest today. I will be working 45 hours this week, not including travelling time. WM on & will hang out shortly.

Ds2 has got an interview at the college we went to so that's good.

TA Happy Birthday, have a lovely day.
    NRA - sorry to hear of your loss.
    Tru - when you've trained scampi just to dig in allowed area, can you let me know your method as Mason (parson JRT) loves to dig anywhere.

Hugs to anyone that needs/wants one. Take care.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 13,236 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Dull and rather damp this morning. Gammon for tonight has been cooked, its cooling so I can slice it, will leave out enough for tonight and tomorrows supper, package and freeze the rest.

OH is not complaining so much about his sore mouth, he managed to eat his meat and spud pie ok last night.

Babies playmat packed up, ready to be posted tomorrow.

No plans for the rest of the day, supper veggies done, so just need to cook them and reheat the gammon in the top of the steamer. We will have mustard sauce with it.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 10,679 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Just thinking of evocative smells - I love the smell of pencils, creosote and marzipan, the last because at school we used a glue that smelt like that.

JackieO I used to wear Chanel no5 but now my favourites are Prada Infusion d'Iris and Here's Eat design Mere ills. I'm going to leave that for its novelty value and try again. Eau des Merveilles, clearly this tablet does not approve of things in French.

My favourite flower smell is wallflowers, wonderful and not long to wait though I have none, not having been able to get outside at the back since last summer. So I shall be sniffing other people's.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,789Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin