Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • skillboy
    • By skillboy 12th Mar 17, 5:22 AM
    • 79Posts
    • 2Thanks
    skillboy
    UK property rent question
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:22 AM
    UK property rent question 12th Mar 17 at 5:22 AM
    I own a small property that I will rent out at £500 per month.

I am already UK higher rate tax payer.

I want to give this rent to my daughter.

Can I just ask the tenant to transfer the rent into my daughters bank account?

If I give this money to my daughter do I still have to declare it as part of my income or can my daughter claim it as part of hers instead (she is a lower rate tax payer)?
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 12th Mar 17, 6:52 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 2,851 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:52 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:52 AM
    You own the property, it's your income.

If you give it to your daughter that's your choice but it's still your income.
    • booksurr
    • By booksurr 12th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 3,995 Thanks
    booksurr
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    as stated, your property, your income, your tax liability

if you want daughter to get the money she will have to have an entitlement to the rent because she is the property owner or (at least) co owner, and you have given her all / some of your beneficial interest. Such action would be a disposal on your behalf and trigger CGT for you.
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 12th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 2,070 Thanks
    Cook_County
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    The gift might also trigger a charge to SDLT. However, CGT on disposal is charged at a lower rate than IHT on your death. Consequently, a lifetime gift (or a series of gifts to minimise CGT) can be effective at minimising IHT.
    • skillboy
    • By skillboy 13th Mar 17, 2:06 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    skillboy
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:06 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:06 AM
    Thanks for all your feedback.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,378Posts Today

6,364Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin