Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slinga
    • By slinga 12th Mar 17, 1:05 AM
    • 972Posts
    • 197Thanks
    slinga
    0 WOW
    Pisa airport car rental
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:05 AM
    0 WOW
    Pisa airport car rental 12th Mar 17 at 1:05 AM
    We are looking at renting a car from 'Sicily by Car' at Pisa airport.

Anyone have experience of this company?

Any problems over pre bought Excess Insurance?
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
Page 1
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 12th Mar 17, 8:23 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:23 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:23 AM
    We rented from Sicily by Car at Bergamo Airport. Our car (Land Rover Discovery) was covered in scratches and little scrapes and had not been valeted inside or out before collection. We pointed out our concerns at all the scratches and having them documented and they were fine with this.

We have our own annual excess cover and had no problem with this whatsoever.

All in all we had the ideal vehicle for our holiday at an excellent price and a trouble free rental with Sicily by Car. We have had doubts about renting from them again simply because the car, although pretty new appeared to have had a bit of a hard life, but we really couldn't fault their service and pricing.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 12th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    slinga
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    Thanks very much for that.
    • dondo
    • By dondo 13th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    dondo
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    We are renting a car in Pisa in the summer ans I did quite a bit of research beforehand as it is a minefield with lots of horror stories out there. Unfortunately Sicily by Car doesn't get that many good reviews.

We went with Budget in the end as whilst a bit more pricey has a good reputation.

There is some good info here http://tuscany-toscana.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/what-you-need-to-know-before-renting.html#.WMZjyG-LTIV

It lists other companies to avoid- Firefly, Goldcar etc.

Also worth looking on the tripadvisor forums
    • slinga
    • By slinga 13th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    slinga
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    Thanks.
    We've used Budget a few times most recently in Melbourne and Sydney and they were fine.
    If the missus hasn't already booked Sicily by car then I think we'll go with Budget to be on the safe side even though they are slightly more expensive.

I note from that link that an International Driving Permit is required if you don't have a Driving License from an EU country.
    If T May initiates Brexit today will that effect the status of the British Driving License in this case.

Also what about mobile Phone 'roaming' charges? Have they been equalised with other EU countries and will they then be nullified if Brexit actually happens>
    Last edited by slinga; 13-03-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    • dondo
    • By dondo 13th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    dondo
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    We booked through Holiday Autos by the way.

We did have a car booked last year when we went to Italy but didn't need it in the end so cancelled- again we got that through Holiday Autos and that was with I think Europcar- certainly one of the major names
    • benjus
    • By benjus 13th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 4,766 Posts
    • 2,837 Thanks
    benjus
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    Thanks.
    We've used Budget a few times most recently in Melbourne and Sydney and they were fine.
    If the missus hasn't already booked Sicily by car then I think we'll go with Budget to be on the safe side even though they are slightly more expensive.

I note from that link that an International Driving Permit is required if you don't have a Driving License from an EU country.
    If T May initiates Brexit today will that effect the status of the British Driving License in this case.

Also what about mobile Phone 'roaming' charges? Have they been equalised with other EU countries and will they then be nullified if Brexit actually happens>
    Originally posted by slinga
    Triggering Article 50 is really just giving notice of our intention to leave the EU. None of the things you mention will change immediately - hopefully we will get reasonable notice of the changes.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,719Posts Today

7,401Users online

Martin's Twitter