Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hbill3
    • By hbill3 12th Mar 17, 12:34 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hbill3
    First car
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:34 AM
    First car 12th Mar 17 at 12:34 AM
    Hi all,

So I turn 17 today and I'm beginning the search for my first car. I believe I may buy my car before I pass my test so that I can use it to practise. My mum is willing to take me out once I've had a fair few lessons.

I understand that the car will need to be insured, but I cannot do this before I pass. If I buy the car and own it, can my mum have an insurance policy on the car??

Then, when (or if!) I pass, can I simply cancel the policy in her name and get one in my name?

This is all so confusing!!

Any help or advice will be much appreciated!
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Mar 17, 1:39 AM
    • 24,982 Posts
    • 9,908 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:39 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:39 AM
    Yes your mum can insure it but so can you with a learner policy.

Will it be cheap (unlikely) You could buy quite a few extra lessons for the cost of the insurance.

Its going to be expensive as a learner and even more expensive as a newly qualified driver.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • bouncydog1
    • By bouncydog1 12th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    • 2,616 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    bouncydog1
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    You can't insure it before you have a provisional licence but as soon as you get that you can. We got DD's car a few months before she was 17 and added it to my DH's policy. A new policy was set up for her the day she was 17 and off we went. Your mum should ask her insurers if she could do the same. Cost shouldn't be too much for a couple of months depending on who her insurers are.
    • kerpunk
    • By kerpunk 12th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kerpunk
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    your probably best having the insurance in your parents name and you being a named driver. otherwise it;s going to be very expensive!
    • hbill3
    • By hbill3 12th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hbill3
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    @bouncydog1 so does that mean that my mum could add my car to her existing policy? Thanks
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Mar 17, 8:43 PM
    • 24,982 Posts
    • 9,908 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:43 PM
    Her no claims will be in use on her own car.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• ajp2009
    • By ajp2009 12th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ajp2009
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    My son just passed his test last friday and prior to that he bought his first car and learned to drive in that as well as having lessons off a qualified instructor. He took out a policy on his car through collingwood learner driver insurance and this cost 34 per month, It saved him a fortune as he could get loads of extra practice off his dad on top of his weekly driving lesson ..he passed first time after 4 months The policy was in my sons name and providing he was accompanied by a full licence holder he could drive at anytime with no curfews.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 12th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 2,177 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    Its cheap to insure as a learner then goes through the roof when you pass. Did it for my daughters, both had a car and learnt in it as well as lessons.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 12th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    your probably best having the insurance in your parents name and you being a named driver. otherwise it;s going to be very expensive! Posted by kerpunk
    ........... NOOOOOOO ! If OP is the main driver then what you are proposing is called 'fronting' - and it's illegal.
    • hbill3
    • By hbill3 15th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hbill3
    My son just passed his test last friday and prior to that he bought his first car and learned to drive in that as well as having lessons off a qualified instructor. He took out a policy on his car through collingwood learner driver insurance and this cost 34 per month, It saved him a fortune as he could get loads of extra practice off his dad on top of his weekly driving lesson ..he passed first time after 4 months The policy was in my sons name and providing he was accompanied by a full licence holder he could drive at anytime with no curfews.
    Originally posted by ajp2009
    Does this not require somebody with a full license to be insured on the car also? Can it just be a learners policy?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 24,982 Posts
    • 9,908 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Learner policy = cheap but you cannot cover anyone else on the car and it ends as soon as you pass your test.

Only covers certain postcodes also, this can be a bit hit and miss. I could have got a policy for 400, but on that car it would have been over 2000 when they passed.
    Seemed rather cruel to say here is your car then congratulations on passing your test you will have to sell the car now or pay over 2000 insurance.

• eddddy
    • By eddddy 15th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 4,480 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    eddddy
    Before going ahead with this, find out what your insurance premium is likely be when you pass your test - perhaps in 6 months time.

One way is to do 'dummy quotes' on the comparison sites (using a dummy name and slightly different address) - and push your DoB back 6 months, so that you appear to be 17.5 years old with a new full licence.

I suspect that you will be shocked by the premiums.

As silvertabby says, don't be tempted to get insured as a named driver if you will be the main driver. If you make a claim, based on all the circumstances you describe, it will be blindingly obvious to the insurance company what you have done.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 31,322 Posts
    • 16,735 Thanks
    kingstreet
    Before going ahead with this, find out what your insurance premium is likely be when you pass your test - perhaps in 6 months time
    Originally posted by eddddy
    This. With knobs on.

Learner insurance looks cheap as chips but what will this firm charge to a newly passed driver?

It may be the worst of the lot and then charge you cancellation fees you could have saved by working out the best post-pass option.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 15th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    leslieknope
    i recently passed my test and although i'm older (27) my premiums are still very expensive, around 950 per year.

learners insurance is probably worth it if you want the extra practice - just remember you must ALWAYS have someone in the car with you who has had a licence for at least 3 years.

when you do pass and look to have your own insurance, you need to be the main driver. but it does bring down your premiums if you add a parent as a named driver on the policy. i knocked around 20 a month off by adding my dad! so it's cheaper and he can also drive my car, although i am the main driver.
    CCCC #33: 42/240
    DFW: 4355/4405
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,140Posts Today

6,318Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin