Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mickael28
    • By mickael28 12th Mar 17, 12:25 AM
    • 106Posts
    • 11Thanks
    mickael28
    Has anything changed in car insurance prices lately? Getting astronomical quotes...
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:25 AM
    Has anything changed in car insurance prices lately? Getting astronomical quotes... 12th Mar 17 at 12:25 AM
    Hi guys,

I used a couple of car insurance comparison sites back in September and I received quotes around 350, finally getting my policy with Elephant.

We were thinking about changing the car and I was going to compare car insurance prices, but before making any change whatsoever I just clicked in both comparison sites, to recalculate my previous quote and this time, for the same car we insured at 350 a few months ago, I'm getting prices between 815-900?

Even our own company, Elephant, it's quoting us at 850. Any idea how that's even possible?

Do you know if something has changed in the law to make car insurance prices like 3 or 4 times more expensive than last year? I am even putting that we've got more years of experience (almost 20) and 4 years no claim discount but still getting prices around 1000 for a small car 1300cc?!

I don't quite understand what could be going on...
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Mar 17, 1:41 AM
    • 24,969 Posts
    • 9,904 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:41 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:41 AM
    Change in law? No. Premiums have increased again.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Mar 17, 2:15 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:15 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:15 AM
    Hi guys,

I used a couple of car insurance comparison sites back in September and I received quotes around 350, finally getting my policy with Elephant.

We were thinking about changing the car and I was going to compare car insurance prices, but before making any change whatsoever I just clicked in both comparison sites, to recalculate my previous quote and this time, for the same car we insured at 350 a few months ago, I'm getting prices between 815-900?

Even our own company, Elephant, it's quoting us at 850. Any idea how that's even possible?

Do you know if something has changed in the law to make car insurance prices like 3 or 4 times more expensive than last year? I am even putting that we've got more years of experience (almost 20) and 4 years no claim discount but still getting prices around 1000 for a small car 1300cc?!

I don't quite understand what could be going on...
    Originally posted by mickael28

It can't all be with cars.
    • mickael28
    • By mickael28 12th Mar 17, 2:25 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mickael28
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:25 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:25 AM
    I first left all details the same, and the price was quite high. So, just in case, I increased 1 year of experience each and still around the same prices...

Premiums increasing slightly (I don't know, 5-10% might be understandable) but.. they increasing +250%?!? It's strange at best, and a rip-off at worst for what I can see...
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 17,444 Posts
    • 13,081 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    Such a large increase suggests that there may have been a rise in car crime in your area.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 12th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 5,026 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    Hi,

have a read of this.
    Y'all take care now.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 12th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    • 10,250 Posts
    • 12,915 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    As mentioned where do you live and what is the car you are proposing to buy. Your current Insurer won't give you a good deal on a mid term change because they don't have to! You're a captive to them. Even worse is that you are buying Insurance from The Admiral Group who are the bottom feeders of Insurers.

Most decent Insurers will play fair and just calculate the premium difference for the new car without scalping you. Admiral Group do it differently.

There was a larger rise in Insurance Premium Tax in September 2016 from 5% to 9.5% and it is now currently 10%.
    The man without a signature.
    • mickael28
    • By mickael28 12th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mickael28
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    I still don't understand how this comparison sites work. I got a few quotes yesterday, which came at 903 and similar.

I retrieved the SAME query today, and the min price was 971, but the 2nd best jumped to 1050 and other more than that. Which I don't get because yesterday night (less than 24h ago) I was quoted around 150-200 less by a lot of companies...

I'll try to have a look at different criteria in the next few days. But something doesn't makes sense to me in how things are calculated...
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 12th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 8,945 Posts
    • 5,685 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    Continually searching can push premiums up, as can checking close to a renewal date.

I normally vary my details on the searches, obviously different name but different house number and age etc

My premium went up about 30% this year with no adverse issues, but premiums do move up and down every year, sounds like something significant has changed in your case either personally or locally, have you changed job, or anything else?
    • mickael28
    • By mickael28 12th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mickael28
    No, same house, same drivers, same car (as I was initially just double checking our current quote), same job... The only thing I could think of is that we've living in a block of flats and maybe something happened here that pushed the quotes a lot higher, but I've tried with houses around or nearby and similar prices...

I'll try to change some variables and see if I notice one that makes a massive difference, I'll let you know if I do... although I doubt it as there are so many things (I changed a few things to see, and prices were kind of similar - diff job title, house number, with or without spouse, year of the car bought, ...)
    • waamo
    • By waamo 12th Mar 17, 10:53 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    waamo
    Why are you using comparison sites if you are changing mid way through a deal? You get the most competetive quotes when your insurance is actually due.

If you want to change cars see how much your insurer actually charges. I changed my car a couple of weeks ago. My new one is worth double what my old one was. It only cost 45 for 5 months.

I paid 325 on a 6k car last year. I won't pay much more on a 14k car next year.
    This space for hire.
    • mickael28
    • By mickael28 12th Mar 17, 11:34 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mickael28
    Why are you using comparison sites if you are changing mid way through a deal? You get the most competetive quotes when your insurance is actually due.

If you want to change cars see how much your insurer actually charges. I changed my car a couple of weeks ago. My new one is worth double what my old one was. It only cost 45 for 5 months.

I paid 325 on a 6k car last year. I won't pay much more on a 14k car next year.
    Originally posted by waamo
    What I had noticed is that the price of each policy is quite different depending on the car itself as well, so... as we don't have any specific model in mind, I was going to try and find out backwards. As in, check a few different models on comparison sites and see how much was the insurance policy for each.

What I was not expecting is that even our current policy for our current car, in the same circumstances that we took it 6 months ago, has somehow shoot up from 350 to around 850.

So at the moment, I cannot really do many comparisons with other models as they prices I'm getting for everything I've tried are a lot higher than I was expecting...
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Mar 17, 4:59 AM
    • 24,969 Posts
    • 9,904 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    When getting quotes for younger drivers i found an older car actually increased the premiums.

Maybe different for you/your car or area. But try a similar car thats about 6 years old or less.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 13th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 912 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Also, clear your cookies and possibly your browsing history too, as well as using different details rather than your own - it's also good practise to do this when searching for cheap flights also. The more frequently you are seen returning to the website, the more they will try and convince you that you need to buy now rather than wait as the prices increase...
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 13th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Aretnap
    Have you checked that you're on the electoral register? If you forgot to send the forms back this year and dropped off it then you might find that has an effect - if they can't find evidence of you living at your address that pushes prices up due to potential fraud concerns.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 13th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    Last year I had a high renewal quote on the comparison sites so I tried the ones that are not on them and got a good quote of 485 from Aviva, this year the comparison sites sent me quotes of 650 before I checked in with them, when my Aviva renewal was sent it was only a small increase of 515 which I have just acepted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

6,503Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin