Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bagleyboy
    • By bagleyboy 12th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bagleyboy
    Virgin Media Customer Services Screwing me out of 120 quid!?
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    Virgin Media Customer Services Screwing me out of 120 quid!? 12th Mar 17 at 12:14 AM
    I've had it up to the roof with Virgin Media this month.

First, I call up after my contract has finished to re-arrange on the 10th Feb, hitting a deal of 40 pounds for broadband and calls with line rental, and having the telly removed because it's not worth the 30 quid extra they wanted to charge. They then turn off the TV asap, bearing in mind we pay a month in advance, so I ask them to turn it back on and leave it until the 9th of march (30 days notice), I get told this may take a few days.

A few days pass on the 13th, still no telly, so I call back up and explain the issue. The lady on the phone sorts it out and all is fine (Little did I know...) I sign the contract for the new plan (150 MB broadband, weekend calls and line rental (I HAVE THIS CONTRACT IN HAND).

I check my bill today, and i've been re-subscribed to the big bang package at £65 a month. I call up today and talk to the customer services team, who inform me I have agreed to renewing my contract at that price. I go mental at this point, asking why and what the hell is going on. They state because the first guy I spoke to didn't write anything down about this, the best they can do is £43.50 with £30 credit to my account. I reluctantly agree as it had been three hours arguing the toss with them.

I then get a email stating I've been charged a telly cancellation fee of £120 pounds. What the hell virgin media? I never agreed to renewing my contract with the telly. I want to scream and scream as I don't have that kind of money right now. I'm escalating this tomorrow but i feel incredibly wronged as a customer at this point.

Oh and I asked to speak to a manager to be told no, i'm not allowed. What kind of customer service do you have going on right now!?
Page 1
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 12th Mar 17, 12:59 AM
    • 12,146 Posts
    • 11,484 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:59 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:59 AM
    That sounds like a nightmare- I know some people who have a life sentence to only ever get Virgin for their broadband and phone line- are you in this position? If not- I'd move. I've had several run ins with Virgin and this was just getting them to sign me up and hook me up (I could detail here but they are that unbelievable I'd need a long time to explain and you would rather read more important things I'm sure!)

Have you gotten to speak to anyone in charge about the £120 cancellation fee to enquire about this? If they are sure this is something which you are liable, ask them for proof and include telephone transcripts, if this is not possible they would need more evidence than 'just because we say so'. It will take time and energy to sort out (hence why I backed away from them the second time I gave them the benefit of the doubt and they spectacularly screwed this up and messed me around). All you can do is keep as many facts and dates as possible (times you spent calling, money you spent on phone calls...etc) and try to get them to pay this back in some way- though it's unlikely it did happen to me so in some cases it can be possible.

I hope you get something sorted.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 12th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    craigr98
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    I'm interested to see what you are going to do for tv now that you have cancelled?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Mar 17, 8:23 AM
    • 4,291 Posts
    • 3,248 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:23 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:23 AM
    I'm interested to see what you are going to do for tv now that you have cancelled?
    Originally posted by craigr98

You know TV doesn't have to come down a cable right?
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 12th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    craigr98
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    Indeed which is why I was asking.
    • bagleyboy
    • By bagleyboy 12th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bagleyboy
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    So called first thing this morning, the person I got thankfully was horrified that I'd been treated in such a way and went to go get her supervisor immediately. The charge will be refunded in full, and she raised a complaint for me and said sorry for being treated like this. She promised to talk to those involved with this case too.

Unfortunately, got no choice but to stick with virgin as they're the only ones that provide decent internet around here. And tellywise we're just using free view and dvds, since we didn't really watch the cable tv.
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 12th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    Make sure you get it in writing of what you have been offered.

Virgin BB is good.....make sure you get a decent price as well
    • bagleyboy
    • By bagleyboy 12th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bagleyboy
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    I have asked for that in writing, and the credit has already been added to my account
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

1,891Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin