Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Mar 17, 12:09 AM
    • 9,802Posts
    • 12,425Thanks
    hazyjo
    May have won something... 11-odd charge to collect :(
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:09 AM
    May have won something... 11-odd charge to collect :( 12th Mar 17 at 12:09 AM
    I don't suppose it rings any bells? I was wary that it was a scam, but something is being held at my local PO. Says 11-odd to pay. I'm guessing it's overseas, but I've not had notification and I try to avoid them (I do the Dave Lackie tweets but that's it - and he won't have my address).

Anyone else have to pay postage on anything recently? Any known scams going round? Surely if I pay the PO and collect it can't be a scam...

SO ANNOYING! It's probably a bloody teabag or something

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
Page 1
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Mar 17, 12:55 AM
    • 35,277 Posts
    • 230,823 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:55 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:55 AM
    Outside the EU seems most likely, value of just 16 would be 3.20 vat plus 8 handling charge = 11.20. You can only get to 11 odd for internal parcels if part of the postage was paid. (They should have ticked a box on the form to indicate if it was for underpaid postage or a customs charge)
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Mar 17, 1:22 AM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:22 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:22 AM
    Outside the EU seems most likely, value of just 16 would be 3.20 vat plus 8 handling charge = 11.20. You can only get to 11 odd for internal parcels if part of the postage was paid. (They should have ticked a box on the form to indicate if it was for underpaid postage or a customs charge)
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    Thanks. Was a 'Customs Charge' of 11.22.

Decisions decisions...

I know I'll end up paying it or the curiosity will eat at me. So annoyed though! I'm sure I've not ordered anything...

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • libra10
    • By libra10 12th Mar 17, 5:36 AM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 174,682 Thanks
    libra10
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:36 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:36 AM
    I would call at the PO and ask to have a look at the parcel. It might help you to make up your mind whether to pay.

Good luck!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    I would call at the PO and ask to have a look at the parcel. It might help you to make up your mind whether to pay.

Good luck!
    Originally posted by libra10
    Cheers. Will try. They're not always accommodating lol.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 35,277 Posts
    • 230,823 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    Thanks. Was a 'Customs Charge' of 11.22.

Decisions decisions...

I know I'll end up paying it or the curiosity will eat at me. So annoyed though! I'm sure I've not ordered anything...

Jx
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    It's probably something with a declared value of 16.10 then (Vat 3.22 + 8 fee = 11.22)

As suggested you might get a clue if it's worth paying for by having a look, if the real value is somewhat more than 16.10 it might be worth paying for (or if there is a chance the sender will cover the fees - happens occasionally)
    • ellen vannin
    • By ellen vannin 12th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    ellen vannin
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    Ooh I would have too pay !

My post office collection centre lets you look at mail first though.
    • Gill247
    • By Gill247 13th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    Gill247
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    Please let us know if you do collect - you have made me so curious as to what it is! lol
    Lucky wins - Rituals Beauty Advent Calendar; Starbucks Coffee & 20 Gift Card; Amazing Hen Weekend at Dunblane Hydro; Heat Magazine Book Bundle; Le Crueset Goodies

Wishing everyone some magic fairy pixie dust for luck!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    Cheers all Yep curiosity is getting the better of me now lol.

So annoying though. I vaguely remember entering something and seeing a warning on a later post that it was a US comp (or somewhere else) but can't find it. Have searched loads of terms but nothing is coming up. Kicked myself for missing it at the time but thought I prob wouldn't win anyway so forgot about it.

Oh well - I shall be back later this week to let you all know!

Ta for the help.

Jx
    • fraserbooks
    • By fraserbooks 13th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 5,434 Thanks
    fraserbooks
    I won a collection of Christmas plants just before Christmas and had to pay 4.00 charges but it was worth it as they were beautiful and the cyclamen and rose trees are still in flower.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I won a collection of Christmas plants just before Christmas and had to pay 4.00 charges but it was worth it as they were beautiful and the cyclamen and rose trees are still in flower.
    Originally posted by fraserbooks
    Could do with them myself as selling the house and the plants I put in are looking more like weeds as the flowers are slow in coming out! Love cyclamens!

Jx
    • stacey2kids
    • By stacey2kids 13th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    stacey2kids
    Keep us updated I'm interested to know what charged so much xx
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 13th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 10,031 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    I hope it's something you don't mind them opening! Imagine if you have entered an adults products competition and you get the local postie to open it up
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Mar 17, 8:01 PM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I hope it's something you don't mind them opening! Imagine if you have entered an adults products competition and you get the local postie to open it up
    Originally posted by moreofthegoodstuff
    Oh! I did enter a couple lol! Actually I've a horrible feeling one was from abroad..

Damn!
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 14th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 6,981 Posts
    • 288,766 Thanks
    DUKE
    In the past I've entered a few from USA for a guitar, the value of the guitar was worth paying the shipping costs should I win. Good Luck!
    Thanks everyone!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Well my OH went up the Post Office this morning and I've just spoken with him and he said the Post Office bod said it had 'Pet Supplies' on the envelope.

I am guessing it is the flea prevention thingies that were meant to have turned up a week or so ago - I have been chasing and they were apparently sending more out yesterday to arrive today. Guessing these were the original ones that went missing.

What a bloody let down.

I suppose it may have coincidentally been a comp as I've entered a few pet ones lately - but I don't think I'd be spending 11 on something right now, so have told them to return it.

Thought I'd won something nice then

Hope the Karma/Comping fairy is looking down on me lol!

Jx
    • toniq
    • By toniq 14th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 28,047 Posts
    • 582,039 Thanks
    toniq
    Ahhh gutted for you Hazy, ex gl for a nice win soon xxx
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,790Posts Today

7,399Users online

Martin's Twitter